In-State PG D.J. Carton Places Hawkeyes Among Top 6

Mike signed with Fran during the Honeymoon period, before we saw well...what we've seen.

Mike also didn't have the offers that DJ Carton will be looking at.

MG was a great Hawkeye, nothing against him. But one decent PG hardly tips the scales...especially in light of the last several years. This is a roster primarily loaded with slow, skinny, white guys, and when TC is gone...almost no strength inside. A great PG can't fix that by himself. I'd love Carton to sign with the Hawks, but if he doesn't I wouldn't blame him.
Don't get me wrong I'm not going to debate what your saying there. I totally agree with you actually. I'd describe MG as having a solid career. Nothing more nothing less really. Other schools can tell DJ he can help get them to final 4s (Bielien probably is telling him that) Iowa can't say that. So yeah if he's looking for more of a sure thing for having early success he'll have plenty of other better offers in that regard. Yet it just depends what he's looking for and how he prioritizes everything. I think him & Patrick coming along with another impactful recruit (Foster hopefully) could really flip the program the right direction

This could be an all or nothing recruiting cycle for Fran. He is in on some high-profile recruits, such as Carton, Terry, Jackson-Davis, Liddell, Watts and Nnaji. At best, he could end up with two. At worst, none. As I posted previously, a friend in Minneapolis told me that we essentially stopped recruiting Terry several weeks ago.

Our "ace in the hole" so to speak is Patrick. If we somehow manage to get either Carton or Jackson-Davis, he'll be the biggest factor. Personally, I don't think we get either one. From the above list, my best bet is Nnaji and no one else. As far as PG goes, I think it's much more realistic at this point that either Hutchens or Locure ends up here over Carton and Terry.

Starting to think the blue bloods are going to get involved as well before this is all said and done. Can't imagine him at Iowa any longer really, and I probably had stronger hopes that Iowa could pull this off than most to begin with.
Like I said before, IMO we care more about landing a point guard in the '19 class than Fran does. He already has his pg for the next 4 years.

Fran has tried pretty hard since offering Carton to secure his commitment. I don't think he would have put in all that time if he wasn't interested in landing a point guard. He also spent a good deal of time on Terry.

We'll see what happens with Carton. Much of the speculation out there doesn't come from what he's saying because he doesn't say a lot.

I read an article from Rivals (premium) yesterday where he said he's still very open to all the schools on his list and is trying to get to better know the coaches. As much as we want to know where he's going to end up, it's a called a "recruiting process" for a reason. These kids are going through a process.

Fran has tried pretty hard since offering Carton to secure his commitment. I don't think he would have put in all that time if he wasn't interested in landing a point guard. He also spent a good deal of time on Terry.

We'll see what happens with Carton. Much of the speculation out there doesn't come from what he's saying because he doesn't say a lot.

I read an article from Rivals (premium) yesterday where he said he's still very open to all the schools on his list and is trying to get to better know the coaches. As much as we want to know where he's going to end up, it's a called a "recruiting process" for a reason. These kids are going through a process.
I agree. The cynical narrative that Fran really doesn't want another top end PG because his son plays the same position doesn't hold water at all when you look at the facts.

As I posted above, I personally don't think he will land either Carton or Terry, but it wouldn't be because of lack of effort. He has devoted a tremendous amount of time on Carton. In fact, an argument could be made that it has been too much time. He only has so many hours in a day, and, perhaps those hours would have been better spent on a recruit such as Jackson-Davis. Then again, that's always the dilemma with recruiting - waste time shooting for the moon or focus your efforts on the more realistic prospects.

Didn't Carton recently not list Iowa as a school that is recruiting him the hardest? If that's true, then Fran clearly believes he doesn't have much of a chance. Last I knew, Fran was going after him hard. Now Carton pretty much says he's not? To me, that means the writing is on the wall.

Like I said before, IMO we care more about landing a point guard in the '19 class than Fran does. He already has his pg for the next 4 years.
His kid? I don't think that's the case. I think he's self aware enough of being able to evaluate CM. If what your saying is true he wouldn't be after DJ or Terry the way he's been at all. He's going to get a PG this class if it's either of those two or Locure or whomever else. Not so much out of need as JBo has 2 yrs and CM has 4 more. But because he wants to upgrade the position. He wouldn't be looking to do that if he had an unrealistic view of what CM may be.

Didn't Carton recently not list Iowa as a school that is recruiting him the hardest? If that's true, then Fran clearly believes he doesn't have much of a chance. Last I knew, Fran was going after him hard. Now Carton pretty much says he's not? To me, that means the writing is on the wall.
Fran has 3 offers out to '19 point guards that are not committed to another school. It's been reported on other sites that Fran has backed off on Terry and according to DJ, Fran isn't one of the schools recruiting him the hardest. That leaves us with this guy:

His kid? I don't think that's the case. I think he's self aware enough of being able to evaluate CM. If what your saying is true he wouldn't be after DJ or Terry the way he's been at all. He's going to get a PG this class if it's either of those two or Locure or whomever else. Not so much out of need as JBo has 2 yrs and CM has 4 more. But because he wants to upgrade the position. He wouldn't be looking to do that if he had an unrealistic view of what CM may be.
Remember when Fran said losing Williams wouldn't have been an issue if Connor was healthy? Maybe Fran has an unrealistic view of CM, but Fran definitely has a pretty rosy opinion of Connor at the point. If he didn't, he'd have more offers out to point guards in the '19 class and would have actually looked into getting at least a grad transfer guard of some type, which he made it very clear he wasn't going down that road (something I predicted before Fran told the media)...

If we don't get a PG in the '19 class, I do think Fran will try a lot harder for one in the '20 class. Connor will need a backup when JBo graduates.

DJ has not said that Iowa is not among the schools recruiting him the hardest. He said in one article when asked what schools were making him a priority that he thought Ohio State, Michigan and Indiana were doing that. Fran has been at more of his AAU games than any other head coach. He knows Iowa has made him a priority. Way too much has been made of one quote from one article when on a whole he talks very highly of the Hawkeyes.

Cory Evans wrote an article (premium) for Rivals yesterday from the USA tryouts in which Carton spoke glowingly about all the schools on his list. It's a process. If he knew where he was going today, he'd commit.

DJ has not said that Iowa is not among the schools recruiting him the hardest. He said in one article when asked what schools were making him a priority that he thought Ohio State, Michigan and Indiana were doing that. Fran has been at more of his AAU games than any other head coach. He knows Iowa has made him a priority. Way too much has been made of one quote from one article when on a whole he talks very highly of the Hawkeyes.

Cory Evans wrote an article (premium) for Rivals yesterday from the USA tryouts in which Carton spoke glowingly about all the schools on his list. It's a process. If he knew where he was going today, he'd commit.

I guess I don't see how that's not the same thing. If Iowa is not making him as much of a priority of the other 3 schools, doesn't that mean they aren't recruiting him as hard? The only other two possibilities I can think of is he doesn't care enough about Iowa to list them, or he wants to get it out there that "better" schools are making him a priority.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I take it as those 3 teams are recruiting him harder than Fran.

20180602_110821.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I think it may have nothing to do with how hard Iowa is recruiting him. It's pretty obvious he wants the blue bloods recruiting him (Who wouldn't). Saying schools like Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio State are making you a priority is a lot more eye opening than saying Iowa is making you a priority.

The more I think about it, the more I think it may have nothing to do with how hard Iowa is recruiting him. It's pretty obvious he wants the blue bloods recruiting him (Who wouldn't). Saying schools like Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio State are making you a priority is a lot more eye opening than saying Iowa is making you a priority.
That's a good point. He did fudge his assist numbers, so maybe he fudged the whole recruiting priority list, as well...

I agree. The cynical narrative that Fran really doesn't want another top end PG because his son plays the same position doesn't hold water at all when you look at the facts.

Like the make up of the roster?

The narrative is more than "Fran really doesn't want another top end PG because his son plays the same position". The narrative has been "Fran doesn't seem to place much emphasis on ball handling guards or quick guards (point guards if you will)". The roster would tend to back that up...and don't talk about the guys that left...none of them fit that need, otherwise they'd have gotten good PT.

That's a good point. He did fudge his assist numbers, so maybe he fudged the whole recruiting priority list, as well...

I knew this was going to be your response. Those two things could easily be completely different things. But I can also see how they could be related.

I knew this was going to be your response. Those two things could easily be completely different things. But I can also see how they could be related.
The thing is if Locure lied about his stats, several posters on here would be going on about how it shows that he really does have questionable character... I'm not saying Carton is a bad kid or anything, so no need to go down that road.

Connor is a good Combo Guard. So, I agree. Fran absolutely wants to land a top PG. He has shown that he will play 2 PGs at the same time, as well. I am also of the opinion that Fran won't land Carton or Terry.

Connor is a good Combo Guard. So, I agree. Fran absolutely wants to land a top PG. He has shown that he will play 2 PGs at the same time, as well. I am also of the opinion that Fran won't land Carton or Terry.

Fran won't land Terry for sure, as it has been reported we have backed off him totally. I'm not doubting we get DJ as well.

I agree with your assessment on Connor I think he'll be a do a little of this and a little of that kind of guard. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's a starting guard by his JR or SR yr because I kinda think being a switchblade 6th manish role might be his calling. As far as if we land either Carton or Terry your guess is as good as mine.. I'm just a hoping we aren't left holding the bag and not getting either of them or Locure...

Latest posts