I'm taking opinions on Marble's future at the point.

Thawki

Jon posted in another thread that he thought Devyn would be the starting point guard for his last two years at Iowa. Personally I believe Gesell will be at the point as the starter from day one that he steps on campus. I think statistically he will contribute at least what Horner did his freshman year at Iowa and if that is the case there is no way he doesn't start from the get go.

Jon's comments on the matter are as follows:

"You have to expect Marble to be your point guard for the next two years, which will allow Mike Gesell to come in and play some minutes at point and also get some minutes at the shooting guard position."

I would think if anyone would be playing the wing when Gessell is in the game with Devyn it would be Devyn, as Gesell is a true point guard. But my comment here is based upon my opinion that they will both be starting in the backcourt.

What does everyone else think?

Gessell's a better shooter than Marble. Marble has already proven he can create at the B10 level. I think Marble plays more at the point.

Gesell won't start for the same reason Marble and Carrwrighgt don't start. They will be theft only two P

.... only two PGs we have next year. They will both get significant PT but to keep the rotation smooth they both won't start.

They are interchangeable which is always nice. Either way, assuming Gesell starts, they will have two ball handlers on the floor. Especially important considering May will probably still start at the 3 and he is not a very good ball handler. Clemmons may surprise some people. Everyone on this board seems to assume that Gesell is the future at pg; Iowa has another pretty good player coming in that can play the point.

Marble is most valuable on defense because of his length. Putting him on opposing pg's makes it very difficult on the other team.

I would like to think a lineup of Clemmons, Gesell, Marble, White and Woodbury/Meyer/Basabe is possible.

1) i believe the fact he is better suited for the 3 will force him over.

2) bringing in 2 pgs instead of just 1 makes me think he moves.

3) having 2 guys that can bring it up as pg on the court at the same time is what any team would want.

4) clemmons is pretty good dont give the position to gesell without them both getting a chance (i think gesell wins it).

my bet:
1) gesell - clemmons - marble
2) oglesby - ingram - gesell/marble
3) marble - white - may
4) basabe - white/meyer -olaseni
5) woodbury - olaseni - meyer

can make lots of lineups and dictate match ups.

1) i believe the fact he is better suited for the 3 will force him over.

2) bringing in 2 pgs instead of just 1 makes me think he moves.

3) having 2 guys that can bring it up as pg on the court at the same time is what any team would want.

4) clemmons is pretty good dont give the position to gesell without them both getting a chance (i think gesell wins it).

my bet:
1) gesell - clemmons - marble
2) oglesby - ingram - gesell/marble
3) marble - white - may
4) basabe - white/meyer -olaseni
5) woodbury - olaseni - meyer

can make lots of lineups and dictate match ups.

Why is Marble better suited for the 3? He's at his best on offense with the ball in his hands.

1) i believe the fact he is better suited for the 3 will force him over.2) bringing in 2 pgs instead of just 1 makes me think he moves.3) having 2 guys that can bring it up as pg on the court at the same time is what any team would want.4) clemmons is pretty good dont give the position to gesell without them both getting a chance (i think gesell wins it).my bet:1) gesell - clemmons - marble2) oglesby - ingram - gesell/marble3) marble - white - may4) basabe - white/meyer -olaseni5) woodbury - olaseni - meyercan make lots of lineups and dictate match ups.

Why is Marble better suited for the 3? He's at his best on offense with the ball in his hands.

+1 I love Marble at the point

Who cares what their positions are? They both should be able to play with the ball in their hands. Just like both are probably effective coming off screens.

On a missed shot, get the ball to either to push the break. End of clock situations, I assume Marble will get the ball because has more experience and height. On a made shot, it doesn't matter who dribbles the ball up and makes the first pass to set up an offense.

One of the reasons our offense has been poor for the last 5-6 years is because we've rarely had multiple shot creators on the floor at a time. Hopefully Marble, Gessell, and others can cure this.

Marble's future, no matter what position leads to be Iowa's go-to guy next season, he is mainly this season as it stands. He has things to work on, especially his overall strength and 3-pt shooting. If he improves as he did from year 1 -2 in year 2 - 3, he will be an all-conference performer, easily.
Playing PG this season only benefits him if he ends up on the wing next season, which I believe will happen from day one, or a few games into the season.
The offense runs through Marble and with his PG skills and the addition of shooters it doesn't matter where he starts, he should have the ball in his hands a lot.
I think both he and Gesell should be on the floor as much as possible, it isn't like Mike doesn't have experience playing off the ball either, it would be versatility that Iowa has lacked for a lot of years.

Arguments can be made both ways. He doesn't have the quicks of the nation's elite PG's, but his length creates major matchup problems for all but a handful of PG's (exception being guys like Aaron Craft, who is also tall for a PG). He's great with the ball in his hands, but he's best attacking the rim from the wing (with or without the ball in his hands. He makes some good cuts, and many of his drives come from the right wing).

Arguments can be made both ways. He doesn't have the quicks of the nation's elite PG's, but his length creates major matchup problems for all but a handful of PG's (exception being guys like Aaron Craft, who is also tall for a PG). He's great with the ball in his hands, but he's best attacking the rim from the wing (with or without the ball in his hands. He makes some good cuts, and many of his drives come from the right wing).

Aaron Craft is 6'1 or 6'2 about average for major conference pg's and in no way tall for a pg. It doesn't matter if Marble is technically the starting 3 or starting 1, I would bet he does the majority of the ball handling next year, which in my opinion makes him the pg.

Aaron Craft is 6'1 or 6'2 about average for major conference pg's and in no way tall for a pg. It doesn't matter if Marble is technically the starting 3 or starting 1, I would bet he does the majority of the ball handling next year, which in my opinion makes him the pg.

My bad, I could swear I saw Craft listed at 6'4" somewhere.

Kind of hard to predict that when
A. He isn't on campus yet and played a college game and
B. Most of us have never seen him play and those that have it has been at the high school level.
I do know that Marble can handle the job so I'm not really worried about it.

not saying marble is jordan (he isnt). but jordan was best suited on the wing and he was best with the ball in his hands. though marble doesnt turn the ball over a lot he is more russell westbrook than chris paul and though russell does a good job at pg he is actually a wing that has to play pg because of their roster (sound familiar).

i am not saying he is a bad pg but gesell and clemmons are true pgs. they will hadle the ball primarily. my take on it...take or leave it.

White starts at the 3 next year, in my opinion. Marble starts at either the 1 or 2. It will be a nice problem to have.

Let me get this straight. Our starting point guard, who for the most part has been somewhere between very good and outstanding most of the year, and who will be a Junior next year, is gonna lose his minutes and / or starting job to an incoming freshman. Wow. I guess I didn't realize we had the second coming of Michael Jordan in his prime showing up to play in an Iowa uniform next year. The stupidity that shows up on this board at times is mind numbing.

Latest posts