I'm taking opinions on Marble's future at the point.

In regards to Marble from long range - he shot an awful 27% from there last year. He's currently sitting at 32% on the year. Still not great, but a 5% increase from one year to the next is big.

i would agree with most of your points spank. marble could start at pg at the beginning and i dont think anything is given to gesell and clemmons could get the spot. and marble is more dynamic from the wing. but the 5% increase in 3s isnt saying much since (correct me if im wrong) but he is taking less 3s and we arent even through the whole season. he could miss his next 3-5 3pointers and be at 27%. also i would say he is getting easier shots for 3s this yr as he is primarily being guarded by pgs that he is 4 in taller than. when he moves back to the wing more consistently i expect his pecent to drop a little.

So you are discounting the fact that he is taking smarter 3's? Thats part of the maturation process and improving his %.

I'll stick with my earlier opinions on the matter.

I'm not 100% sure Gesell starts right away or for sure as a frosh - esp with what we are hearing about Clemmons. But one of them will be at the 1 at some point next season.

My thoughts are this...

Marble starts at PG next year, transitions to the 3 by mid-season with Gesell and/or Clemmons at the point. Devyn is too dynamic of a wing to not play there.

Here's my question for you though. Why not start Gesell or Clemmons right away and move Marble to the wing right away? Couldn't they be gaining valuable experience against supposed "cream puffs" and work through any growing pains? I would say yes. I just dont see any upside to starting Marble at the point if you plan on moving him to the wing.

i understand he is being more selective. my point is we are comparing a partly done season to a completed season so we dont actually know if his numbers will hold true. i admitted he is taking better 3s. but i also said it could have something to do with him also being 4 in taller than the guy that is guarding him. i am not trying to discount him i just wont call him a good 3 pt shooter because he isnt. his dad shot over 40% from 3 pt range his senior year but i have never heard anyone call him a good 3 pt shooter. i want to see him improve next year before i say he is an outside shooter. the kid can get to the hole and has the lost art of the mid range game.

he will lead the team in scoring and minutes next year. i am not down on him. i have been saying since last year he was going to be the best player from his class.

his father made a big jump from his soph year to junior year in the range on his shots.
and height has no bearing on the ability to hit three's. either you can make them or you can't.
if he makes his next 3 pt shot, his % jumps to 35%. and i will take Marble with the way he handles the ball and being selective over a gunner like Brust is becoming at 6-7 per game and make 2 for that same %,
the fact that he can make them makes him that much more dangerous that defenders cannot leave him alone, as he can drive and pop and/or finish at the rim, which Gatens has trouble with,
this is why i prefer him at the 2 guard, that gives the team the solid 2nd on the court ball handler

For a freshman to come in and immediately start at point (arguably the most difficult position on the floor) when the team has a player who has effectively played 1 year at point and has 2 years of experience will be very difficult.

That is not to say that Fran is not going to get his two new point guards a lot of time on the floor but when push comes to shove, Marble in all likelihood will be the starting point guard next year.

If Mike is as special as everyone thinks he is (or hopes he is), his play at the college level will dictate his minutes. As the season progresses, he should become much more skilled at point.

But he will still be a freshman and freshmen typically don't have a lot of consistency from one game to the next. They are up and down. When he is playing well, he will probably play a lot. There will be times when he sits a lot of the game. How he plays defense will also dictate playing time.

But don't kid yourself, Fran sees the future at point with the two new point guards coming in. I find it hard to believe that these kids are going to sit for 2 years while Marble plays point, unless he just becomes incredible at point. Gesell and the other freshman (can't remember his name) have been playing point all their lives and are naturals at the position, something Iowa has been missing for quite a few years now.

The good thing is that Marble can easily run the point if Gesell or the other freshman are having a tough time. And in the B1G, freshman typically have a very hard time adjusting.

Last edited:
Here's my question for you though. Why not start Gesell or Clemmons right away and move Marble to the wing right away? Couldn't they be gaining valuable experience against supposed "cream puffs" and work through any growing pains? I would say yes. I just dont see any upside to starting Marble at the point if you plan on moving him to the wing.

Valid point.
I think you start Marble at the point because maybe the other two aren't ready to start from Day 1 at the PG spot in their college careers after just a month of practicing with the team. Give the kids some time to get adapted to the flow of college bb, the offense, the defense, etc... then plunge them in when they are ready. Maybe neither will be ready until their SO years, in that case you keep Dev at the point until his senior year (the year he's an All Big Ten first teamer)

i would agree with most of your points spank. marble could start at pg at the beginning and i dont think anything is given to gesell and clemmons could get the spot. and marble is more dynamic from the wing. but the 5% increase in 3s isnt saying much since (correct me if im wrong) but he is taking less 3s and we arent even through the whole season. he could miss his next 3-5 3pointers and be at 27%. also i would say he is getting easier shots for 3s this yr as he is primarily being guarded by pgs that he is 4 in taller than. when he moves back to the wing more consistently i expect his pecent to drop a little.

True, if he misses his next 5 treys, he's back down.
However, his rate of 3s taken is about the same as last year (just .3 attempts fewer per game right now).

I think it's obvious Devyn isn't a three point threat, but he is taking them at opportunistic times this year.

For a freshman to come in and immediately start at point (arguably the most difficult position on the floor) when the team has a player who has effectively played 1 year at point and has 2 years of experience will be very difficult.

That is not to say that Fran is not going to get his two new point guards a lot of time on the floor but when push comes to shove, Marble in all likelihood will be the starting point guard next year.

If Mike is as special as everyone thinks he is (or hopes he is), his play at the college level will dictate his minutes. As the season progresses, he should become much more skilled at point.

But he will still be a freshman and freshmen typically don't have a lot of consistency from one game to the next. They are up and down. When he is playing well, he will probably play a lot. There will be times when he sits a lot of the game. How he plays defense will also dictate playing time.

But don't kid yourself, Fran sees the future at point with the two new point guards coming in. I find it hard to believe that these kids are going to sit for 2 years while Marble plays point, unless he just becomes incredible at point. Gesell and the other freshman (can't remember his name) have been playing point all their lives and are naturals at the position, something Iowa has been missing for quite a few years now.

The good thing is that Marble can easily run the point if Gesell or the other freshman are having a tough time. And in the B1G, freshman typically have a very hard time adjusting.

Gesell and Clemmons will still get minutes regardless of what Marble does. Personally, I think Marble will remain the starter at point for the foreseeable future. Gesell and Clemmons will get PT there on a consistent basis, but won't be asked to shoulder the bulk of the responsibility as freshmen. Give them minutes to get their feet wet and then some, but don't hold them underwater right away.

Fran will play his best combinations. If that is with Gesell/Clemmons, Ogeslby, and Marble or if it means Gesell/Clemmons, Marble, and May, or if it means Marble, Ogelsby, and May......Any way you cut it Fran will have many more options next year. If the FR PG's aren't up to snuff, he will play others more, and work the FR as they progress.

This thread seems to refer to his college career (though I didn't read it all) but if he develops a shot I think he'll be in the NBA.

He has the body type and he can handle the basketball (though not good enough to get to the NBA on his handles alone)

i see he took 41 3's last season and made 11.
this season he has taken 19 and made 6, not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion he can or can't make them. Marble needs a little more muscle on his bones, and if he improves half as much from this year to next he will be a great 2 paired up with Gesell, and i think if other teams like Michigan can have a freshmen pg start and have success, there is no reason Fran can't.
personally i feel a Top 100 pg would be able to step in and help, actually i think Gesell will make a bigger splash than Woodbury

this season he has taken 19 and made 6, not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion he can or can't make them. Marble needs a little more muscle on his bones, and if he improves half as much from this year to next he will be a great 2 paired up with Gesell, and i think if other teams like Michigan have a freshmen pg start and have success, there is no reason Fran can't.
personally i feel a Top 100 pg would be able to step in and help, actually i think Gesell will make a bigger splash than Woodbury

I actually agree with you here. I personally think we will see Gesell and Clemmons rotating playing the PG, and Marble at the 2&3. He will still have the ball in his hands, and I can see him with the ball a lot even though Gesell is bring the ball up the court. We run a motion offense, so Mable will have plenty of touches and will be breaking people down off the dribble even more effectively when a 2 or 3 is guarding him.

This thread seems to refer to his college career (though I didn't read it all) but if he develops a shot I think he'll be in the NBA.

He has the body type and he can handle the basketball (though not good enough to get to the NBA on his handles alone)

Marble is so far from being an NBA prospect. 6'7 guys who can handle the ball as well as him are a dime a dozen in the NBA and most are better athletes. He'll be a very good college player, no shot at the NBA though.

this season he has taken 19 and made 6, not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion he can or can't make them. Marble needs a little more muscle on his bones, and if he improves half as much from this year to next he will be a great 2 paired up with Gesell, and i think if other teams like Michigan can have a freshmen pg start and have success, there is no reason Fran can't.

I think people are discounting what Woodbury could do for our defense. Especially since we've played an increased amount of zone, having a good defender, and great communicator, which scouts have praised Woodbury for in multiple reports, at the back end of the defense will be a huge benefit.

Marble is so far from being an NBA prospect. 6'7 guys who can handle the ball as well as him are a dime a dozen in the NBA and most are better athletes. He'll be a very good college player, no shot at the NBA though.

He's not now. We'll see by the end of his college career. He starts hitting shots his length could be coveted. His body type reminds me of Luol Deng (not as tall obviously.)

Yeah, this is my optimistic pro-Iowa view but I like what I see from Marble a lot.

Gesell is a better ball handler, shooter and passer than Marble. (Hence a true point guard). Marble is a skinny 3 or big 2 guard. He is the only guy that can create his own shot especially when Bryce was out so we had to move him to point. Gesell will move him back to his natural position at 2 next year. I think we start our 5 best and this lineup below will be a matchup nightmere for opposing foes.
1-gesell
2-marble
3-white
4-basabe
5-woodbury

The attention Woodbury will draw will open up the court for many basabe put backs, tip ins and dunks. White will just post up and drive over much smaller players and will be full of confidence next year. then you add our depth with Mccabe off the bench with an influx of quick athleticism at the guard position with Ingram and Clemmons off the bench we will be dangerous. With the guys we will have to run and press. No coach will want to game plan for us!!! Watch out Fellas Frans' got us on the rise

i am trying to figure out what some of you are smoking thinking white is a natural 3. he is a tweener 3 and 4. not quite big enough to be a true 4 and not quick enough to be a 3. he plays most of his minutes at the 4 and i dont see that changing next year especially since we will replace gatens with a frosh (scholly wise) and have 2 pgs to replace bryce. that moves marble to the wing which keeps white out of the wing. he is a solid pick and pop 4 that can create match up problems at both 3 and 4 but he cant spend a lot of time at either because defensively he is a liability at both in the half court. i enjoy his energy but see at most a 5% chance he starts and that would be over basabe at the 4 not at the 3.

oh because Fran calls him a 3, i guess its sfe to say he will be a 3, him and Marble are playing the positions now because of NEED not because of wanting to, big difference.
again nobody knows how good of a long range shooter Marble is because he doesn't shoot them, right now his job is to protect the ball and create for others, Oglesby hasn't shown much because he is a freshman and yet people are penciling him in as a starter, not to mention a lot had written Marble off because of his freshmen year, i can't wait to see how much all thre improve from this season to next; not to mention Olaseni.
book it Marble will finish out his career as a 2, and sorry 6'7 ball handlers are not a dime a dozen

Latest posts