I'm done.

its not the team's fault you let your "expectations" get so high that you feel this dejected after a loss to a top 10 team that is a traditional powerhouse. there is still plenty of time for iowa to get things figured out and make a big run this season. you need a hobby.

was the loss disappointing? absolutely. frustrating? absolutely. but i choose to realize we didnt' make a single field goal for over 15 minutes and still took it to overtime and had a chance to win in regulation and overtime.

they lost. it happens to every team. don't get so worked up over something you can't control

Don't want to quote the rant Tork (too long), but this is in response to it:

I actually agree with much of what you are saying, but man it comes off like a crying baby. Most of the problems you have are with YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

Let me put it to you this way. You lived through the Lick years and support Iowa, that much is obvious. This is a tourney team, we haven't been there in forever, sit back and enjoy this season for what it is. Just because Iowa isn't going to contend for the BIG title, or the National title (like you and we all want) doesn't mean this year isn't 10000000X better than what Iowa fan has had for going on almost 10 years now. I feel like if you continue this attitude you are going to miss the most fun Iowa BB season in a decade.

While I am disappointed in the loss, I'm not going to let that ruin what has been the most fun I've had watching Iowa BB in a long time. The team is fun to watch, they have a fun style of play, they have players and a coach that is easy to root for. This is a tourney team, but not an elite team that will contend for the BIG or some deep NCAA run.

He gets mad at teh hype but just a couple weeks ago he was blabbing about how there was no way he was missing the MSU game in Carver because of the chance it had of being a Top 10 matchup and one of the biggest games in Carver in the last 20 years. Dont be mad because you made yourself too excited over one game. You helped build the hype up in your own head and now get all butthurt because the team didnt live up to your expectations last night.

No ****. I specifically said I bought into the hype, and that was my fault. And I'm finished with that. If they want to be more than what they are, then they need to start proving it on the floor. I'm not basing my expectations off of hype/potential the rest of the way.

No ****. I specifically said I bought into the hype, and that was my fault. And I'm finished with that. If they want to be more than what they are, then they need to start proving it on the floor. I'm not basing my expectations off of hype/potential the rest of the way.

So why did you do it in the first place? Seems like you are just setting yourself up to be upset.

It seems like you handle losing about as well as a 7 year old.

Don't want to quote the rant Tork (too long), but this is in response to it:

I actually agree with much of what you are saying, but man it comes off like a crying baby. Most of the problems you have are with YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

Let me put it to you this way. You lived through the Lick years and support Iowa, that much is obvious. This is a tourney team, we haven't been there in forever, sit back and enjoy this season for what it is. Just because Iowa isn't going to contend for the BIG title, or the National title (like you and we all want) doesn't mean this year isn't 10000000X better than what Iowa fan has had for going on almost 10 years now. I feel like if you continue this attitude you are going to miss the most fun Iowa BB season in a decade.

While I am disappointed in the loss, I'm not going to let that ruin what has been the most fun I've had watching Iowa BB in a long time. The team is fun to watch, they have a fun style of play, they have players and a coach that is easy to root for. This is a tourney team, but not an elite team that will contend for the BIG or some deep NCAA run.

This was my entire point. They're still fun to watch 95% of the time (even if they'd won last night, that game was just pretty rough around the edges), and I'll support them full-heartedly every night out. I'm just not going to base my expectations on pundits' Final Four or conference title predictions anymore, and enjoy this team for what it is. Which is still a tourney-caliber team that plays a fun brand of basketball the majority of the time.

So why did you do it in the first place? Seems like you are just setting yourself up to be upset.

It seems like you handle losing about as well as a 7 year old.

So let me get this straight, buying into the hype is a problem, but then saying I'm no longer going to do that makes me less of a fan?

I got caught up in the hype; it's not like I'm the only one here who can say that. How does admitting I made a mistake and vowing not to do it again constitute some kind of crime?

This was my entire point. They're still fun to watch 95% of the time (even if they'd won last night, that game was just pretty rough around the edges), and I'll support them full-heartedly every night out. I'm just not going to base my expectations on pundits' Final Four or conference title predictions anymore, and enjoy this team for what it is. Which is still a tourney-caliber team that plays a fun brand of basketball the majority of the time.

You must be young! :D

For those of us that have watched Iowa hoops since about 1980, what happened last night is pretty much par for the course for Iowa Basketball!

Speaking as someone who attended every single home game as a freshman and sophomore to watch Lickliter's garbage, **** off.

Attempting to circumvent filters by deliberately misspelling profanity violates site rules but using profanity that is caught does not, it appears. Whatever.

Look, pal, I was not the one who posted 362 words fairly critical of the team and it's effort last night under the rather declarative title "I'm done." With a period, no less. "I'm done" with what? Most site visitors seeing that headline on HN forum pages will think it's a thread of fans jumping off the Iowa or Fran bandwagon. That's not what's needed right now. You say you're still "damn proud to call myself a Hawk fan." So why not a thread titled "I'm not done" or, better, simply joining in Biggusblockus's thread, which he (or she) started right after the game (and hours before yours) titled "I still really like this team. Not giving up on them."?

I like this team as much now as I did at the start of the season. If I lived closer than 1,100 miles to Iowa City, I'd likely be at every home game screaming my lungs out. Last night was a stumble. Michigan State exposed some weaknesses, most of which Iowa fans were aware of going into the game.

But this program is light years ahead of where it was from the day Fran set foot on campus, and I think there are still many BIG and tourney victories ahead. This team CAN compete with anyone, including the two Michigan schools. Save for a lapse here or there, Iowa was never out of any game this year and had a chance to win every one of them. I'm excited to see what this team will be able to accomplish the rest of the way (and, yes, disappointed with every setback.) How about you?
[h=3][/h]

So let me get this straight, buying into the hype is a problem, but then saying I'm no longer going to do that makes me less of a fan?

I got caught up in the hype; it's not like I'm the only one here who can say that. How does admitting I made a mistake and vowing not to do it again constitute some kind of crime?

You are the only one that deems it necessary to start a thread with a title of simply "I'm Done". And you didnt just admit you made a mistake, you had to throw a multiple paragraph hissy fit about how this team lets you down.

The reason I say MSU controlled the game is that it was absolutely played at their tempo. We had 6 fast break points tonight. That's the kind of pace most teams have to play against us to win, and they forced us into a half-court slugfest. Even when we'd start to stretch the lead ever so slightly, the tempo stayed right in MSU's comfort zone.

The teams that hustle their butts back on defense will continue to give Iowa fits. Iowa's extended half-court offense is their Achilles' heel.

It's basketball. Yes, this loss sucks, but we have 8 more conference games to play. If you want to be "done" now, then good riddance. I personally enjoyed being so into an Iowa basketball game where i was pacing back and forth at the end of regulation. Iowa was far from their best last night and still had 2 chances to win the game in the final seconds of regulation and OT. We will be fine. These next 3 games are huge. Enjoy the ride.

The words that best describe our Hawkeyes would be, Iowa doesn't play to win. They play to not lose. And playing like that doesn't win the games against good teams.

Attempting to circumvent filters by deliberately misspelling profanity violates site rules but using profanity that is caught does not, it appears. Whatever.

Look, pal, I was not the one who posted 362 words fairly critical of the team and it's effort last night under the rather declarative title "I'm done." With a period, no less. "I'm done" with what? Most site visitors seeing that headline on HN forum pages will think it's a thread of fans jumping off the Iowa or Fran bandwagon. That's not what's needed right now. You say you're still "damn proud to call myself a Hawk fan." So why not a thread titled "I'm not done" or, better, simply joining in Biggusblockus's thread, which he (or she) started right after the game (and hours before yours) titled "I still really like this team. Not giving up on them."?

I like this team as much now as I did at the start of the season. If I lived closer than 1,100 miles to Iowa City, I'd likely be at every home game screaming my lungs out. Last night was a stumble. Michigan State exposed some weaknesses, most of which Iowa fans were aware of going into the game.

But this program is light years ahead of where it was from the day Fran set foot on campus, and I think there are still many BIG and tourney victories ahead. This team CAN compete with anyone, including the two Michigan schools. Save for a lapse here or there, Iowa was never out of any game this year and had a chance to win every one of them. I'm excited to see what this team will be able to accomplish the rest of the way (and, yes, disappointed with every setback.) How about you?
[h=3][/h]

Anybody who actually reads the post SHOULD be able to grasp that I'm saying I'm done expecting more from this team until they actually start doing it, NOT that I'm done with the program/Fran/etc. If they make conclusions based on the title, that's not my problem.

I hope they can go out and get big wins and make a run, I do. And like I said, I'm going to support them every night out (if I have a chance to go back to Carver this year, I'll gladly take it and scream my lungs out, too). But I can't say I feel like I can expect them to take the next step after watching the last 1.5 seasons. That doesn't mean I don't like this team. I'm just not going to keep setting myself up to have my heart ripped out until there's more substance behind those expectations than hype/potential.

As for the swearing....really? We see people let stuff get caught by the filter dozens of times a day without punishment. Don't act like this is suddenly surprising.

Have you considered sports journalism as a career? You are a very talented writer.

It's basketball. Yes, this loss sucks, but we have 8 more conference games to play. If you want to be "done" now, then good riddance. I personally enjoyed being so into an Iowa basketball game where i was pacing back and forth at the end of regulation. Iowa was far from their best last night and still had 2 chances to win the game in the final seconds of regulation and OT. We will be fine. These next 3 games are huge. Enjoy the ride.

Iowa has 10 conference games left.

I do believe we have 10 more conf games.

again, you're placing way too big of an emphasis on something that is completely out of your control. there are much more important things in life than college sports. iowa doesn't care if you're done with your high expectations. iowa doesn't care if you're a fan of iowa state or any other school. they simply don't. what iowa cares about is going out and trying to win games and playing the best they absolutely can. as a fan, you need to realize they're going to win some and going to lose some. but guess what, life goes on even after a loss.

you keep saying you're going to keep supporting this team and still a big hawk fan, but then argue with anyone that has a different view than you. if you don't want the opinions of others, a whiny post like this belongs in your diary, not a well followed internet message board

again, you're placing way too big of an emphasis on something that is completely out of your control. there are much more important things in life than college sports. iowa doesn't care if you're done with your high expectations. iowa doesn't care if you're a fan of iowa state or any other school. they simply don't. what iowa cares about is going out and trying to win games and playing the best they absolutely can. as a fan, you need to realize they're going to win some and going to lose some. but guess what, life goes on even after a loss.

you keep saying you're going to keep supporting this team and still a big hawk fan, but then argue with anyone that has a different view than you. if you don't want the opinions of others, a whiny post like this belongs in your diary, not a well followed internet message board

When someone's disagreeing with me as to whether I still care about/support this team, I think it's more than fair to defend myself in that regard. Nobody here can know exactly what I'm thinking, except for me.

When someone's disagreeing with me as to whether I still care about/support this team, I think it's more than fair to defend myself in that regard. Nobody here can know exactly what I'm thinking, except for me.

What did you expect when you title your thread as you did?

You wanted a reaction from posters and you got it.