I'm done.

tm3308

Let me first say that I'm still damn proud to call myself a Hawk fan. I'll still support this team from the opening tip to the final buzzer every night out.

But I'm done holding my breath waiting for this group to get over the hump. I'm just going to accept them for what they are: a solid, tourney-caliber team that simply can't finish against the big boys. If they surprise me, they surprise me; but I'm done sitting on pins and needles thinking THIS will be the night they figure it out.

If you'd told me before the game that Dawson and Payne would be out, Harris would have an off night and we'd shoot 23 more free throws than MSU (especially while they went 11-20), I'd have told you that we'd win the game by 20 or more. Instead, we **** the bed again -- only this time we do it on national television.

MSU controlled this game almost the entire time. We never got into our running game and the half court offense was stuck in neutral all night. The defense was great more often than not, but we gave up seemingly endless offensive rebounds in big spots. As for our free throw shooting? When is it time to just say we're not that good of a free throw shooting team? It's not like we shot significantly worse than usual tonight.

Honestly, I'm not sure we're significantly better than last year. Sure, we look a little prettier against the middling teams in the conference, but when the metal meets the meat and we're facing the top teams, we don't really look any different than a year ago. Uthoff looked like he was going to be a damn good addition to this year's rotation, but nearly half way through the conference season, I can full-heartedly say I'd much rather have Eric May back. May was at least as effective offensively as Uthoff has been in conference play, and he was a great defender.

Again, I'm still proud to say I'm an Iowa fan. But I'm done believing this team is/can be great, until they actually prove it on the floor.

the problem... the real problem is they talk like they believe they are good

But when its time to step up- the belief turns to just look like meaningless talk

The main difference between this year and last year is we look like we belong with the big boys, even on the road. Most of our loses we actually looked like the better team.

The main similarity is we are still extremely good at finding ways to lose.

I think these announcers who are fluffing up Iowa as Final Four material must be plants to make Iowa think they can just show up to win. And it's working. This team will not improve next year losing Marble and Besabe. At least 2 and maybe 3 wasted scholarships on the roster as it is.

the problem... the real problem is they talk like they believe they are good

But when its time to step up- the belief turns to just look like meaningless talk

True story. They say things like they're sick of losing to teams they're better than, but they don't ever back that up. White was a virtual no-show tonight.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated topic: I'd say I won the debate on whether MSU could match up with us inside. 28-28 in points in the paint and 38-38 in rebounding, all with MSU's two best inside players out with injuries.

Iowa has a very good team and it is well coached. They still have 10 Big Ten games left. I think Iowa will come through in the crunch at some point, and against a top tier team. I see them stronger in March when every game will be a war. I see them winning some wars in the BTT and will be really battle tested as they head to The Dance.

The game is moving fast for Uthoff, and he's learning. By March, he will have a lot of minutes, more confidence, and will be a better player. I would like to see him start shooting some three pointers. He has hit over 50% of them this year. He passed up a couple open looks tonight.

I consider the Illinois game a must road win, just like the one last week at Northwestern.

Honestly, I'm not sure we're significantly better than last year.

Are you just now realizing this? Did this thought ever enter your mind as our 20-ish point lead against Villanova melted away? Because it entered mine and yet I suspended disbelief because I didn't want to get down too much after the horrific Lick era. But I ain't gonna complain, because it could be waaaay worse. Go Hawks.

True story. They say things like they're sick of losing to teams they're better than, but they don't ever back that up. White was a virtual no-show tonight.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated topic: I'd say I won the debate on whether MSU could match up with us inside. 28-28 in points in the paint and 38-38 in rebounding, all with MSU's two best inside players out with injuries.

Yeah I guess... I'd say the huge disparity in points in the paint and Free Throws pretty clearly indicated our advantage inside.

But who cares honestly at this point.

Msu didnt control the game at all. It seemed like Iowa should have been up by 10+ the whole time.

But I agree this team isnt likely to "get it" at this point. They find a way to lose. Whatever ingriedant is lacking is clearly not changing.

At the end of games they wont stop missing freethrows, Marble wont stop missing the last shot, Fran wont stop isolatining him and wont stop putting Mcabe in at the 5 , who wont stop fouling and getting abused inside.

Its basically ground hog day the basketball game.

Msu didnt control the game at all. It seemed like Iowa should have been up by 10+ the whole time.

But I agree this team isnt likely to "get it" at this point. They find a way to lose. Whatever ingriedant is lacking is clearly not changing.

At the end of games they wont stop missing freethrows, Marble wont stop missing the last shot, Fran wont stop isolatining him and wont stop putting Mcabe in at the 5 , who wont stop fouling and getting abused inside.

Its basically ground hog day the basketball game.

The reason I say MSU controlled the game is that it was absolutely played at their tempo. We had 6 fast break points tonight. That's the kind of pace most teams have to play against us to win, and they forced us into a half-court slugfest. Even when we'd start to stretch the lead ever so slightly, the tempo stayed right in MSU's comfort zone.

Are you just now realizing this? Did this thought ever enter your mind as our 20-ish point lead against Villanova melted away? Because it entered mine and yet I suspended disbelief because I didn't want to get down too much after the horrific Lick era. But I ain't gonna complain, because it could be waaaay worse. Go Hawks.

I think the team is better because I don't see any 20+ point beat downs looming on the road like @mich last year. That said IMO there isn't a true contender in the big 10 this year unless MSU gets healthy.

However Iowa is 1-4 in games decided by 5 points or less this year. Quick look shows they were 2-7 last year. Like others have said the problem still exists as far as closing goes.

This is a typical Iowa team. They do not have the will to close a game. When the pressure is on they seem to lose their cool and confidence. They are better than last year but how do you teach them to close the game with authority? The coach is like the team, he has a major weakness. He can't keep control of himself. His antics affect the team. This team will win a big one once in a while, but not consistant enough to make a showing in the standings. It won't be long until they will not be ranked at all. Watch out for Illinois!

This is a typical Iowa team. They do not have the will to close a game. When the pressure is on they seem to lose their cool and confidence. They are better than last year but how do you teach them to close the game with authority? The coach is like the team, he has a major weakness. He can't keep control of himself. His antics affect the team. This team will win a big one once in a while, but not consistant enough to make a showing in the standings. It won't be long until they will not be ranked at all. Watch out for Illinois!

Iowa will beat Illinois by at least a dozen points.

Iowa played their game, got to the line, played awesome defense, we're up 6 or so with the ball several times, on the verge of blowing them out. There were lots of positives here.

The ball bounced MSUs way several times for easy garbage shots, some non calls, and of course we get rung up for a T.

Tings to fix, Olesaeni must play more, McCabe less, FT shooting, Gesell can not be in the gm if he shoots 50% in last minute, he must be benched, can't fall in love with the 3 ball, must drive drive and drive again when we re in bonus.

FT cost iowa this game, plain and simple, 3 1on1s and all the missed ones.

I liked a lot about last night...

If you are getting frustrated now wait until next year when we lose Marble/Basabe/McCabe/Oglesby. We should still make the dance this year but I will be floored if we make it next year.

On the other hand if you would have told me Iowa would go 15 minutes without a field goal I would have thought Iowa would have lost by 20 or more.

Latest posts