I'm done.

Hurt so Good. Was just thinking how not that long ago I didnt get upset after a loss because I expected us to lose. I disagree with people who say we wont be as good next year. Maybe not as deep but we will as good and tougher. I also think Frans teams have all ended the season playing there best ball. Fran needs to keep recruiting. We need a surprise in that area

On the other hand if you would have told me Iowa would go 15 minutes without a field goal I would have thought Iowa would have lost by 20 or more.
True. But I'm not sure if that is a reflection on our defense keeping us close, or an indication of just how depleted MSU was on offense since they couldn't pull away.

What a whiny, pathetic post by the OP.

Iowa is not going to win the B1G this year, barring a miracle. That being said, the conference season isnt even half over yet and Iowa has played at Wisky, at Michigan and at OSU already. There are some wins to be had on the back half of the schedule.

Losing games in the regular season in basketball is not the end of the world. Still at 16-5 (5-3) and can still make a lot of noise in February and March.

Very disappointing loss. Iowa needed this game. If you want to be mentioned with the big boys then this is a game you simply don't lose. Iowa had a national audience, a full house, a ranked team in town, and a ranked team in town who was down two of its top players.

Iowa never got in sync all night. The first half was more like a an Iowa high school girl's basketball game. The second half had a little more offense but Iowa never found its groove. Credit to MSU and Izzo. The guy can coach and he knows how to win - even in games that maybe it shouldn't win. His teams are well coached; well disciplined.

I think we are better than last season. That being said, we have still not gotten over the hump. The win at OSU was nice, but we soon learned maybe OSU was not as good as people thought. For the most part, we have beat the teams we are supposed to beat. But we aren't beating the teams we need to beat to get to that next level. ISU, Villanova, Wisky, MSU, Michigan ... Games we were in. Honestly, we should have won all of those games with the exception of at Michigan. Michigan is a good ball club and playing well.

We don't have that "go-to" guy. Marble is probably the closest to being that guy but he still takes some ill-advised shots. We have a good team. We just don't have an elite team. I would not be surprised to see us lose at Illinois. The Illini have not been gracious hosts. I heard on the radio we have not won in Champaign in 21 years.

We will see ... All games are crucial but this next week or week and a half will show if we are contenders or pretenders. While a conference title is no longer realistic, we can still be one of the top teams in the conference. With three conference losses already, and several tough road games ahead, it's time for this team to take that next step and win some of these close games against the big boys ...

Let me first say that I'm still damn proud to call myself a Hawk fan. I'll still support this team from the opening tip to the final buzzer every night out.

But I'm done holding my breath waiting for this group to get over the hump. I'm just going to accept them for what they are: a solid, tourney-caliber team that simply can't finish against the big boys. If they surprise me, they surprise me; but I'm done sitting on pins and needles thinking THIS will be the night they figure it out.

If you'd told me before the game that Dawson and Payne would be out, Harris would have an off night and we'd shoot 23 more free throws than MSU (especially while they went 11-20), I'd have told you that we'd win the game by 20 or more. Instead, we **** the bed again -- only this time we do it on national television.

MSU controlled this game almost the entire time. We never got into our running game and the half court offense was stuck in neutral all night. The defense was great more often than not, but we gave up seemingly endless offensive rebounds in big spots. As for our free throw shooting? When is it time to just say we're not that good of a free throw shooting team? It's not like we shot significantly worse than usual tonight.

Honestly, I'm not sure we're significantly better than last year. Sure, we look a little prettier against the middling teams in the conference, but when the metal meets the meat and we're facing the top teams, we don't really look any different than a year ago. Uthoff looked like he was going to be a damn good addition to this year's rotation, but nearly half way through the conference season, I can full-heartedly say I'd much rather have Eric May back. May was at least as effective offensively as Uthoff has been in conference play, and he was a great defender.

Again, I'm still proud to say I'm an Iowa fan. But I'm done believing this team is/can be great, until they actually prove it on the floor.

You're "done"? Then please have Jon Miller delete your account and go spend (more of) your days on CyFan, where your true support appears to lie. Only true Hawk fans need to apply to be here.

True. But I'm not sure if that is a reflection on our defense keeping us close, or an indication of just how depleted MSU was on offense since they couldn't pull away.

The problem was Iowa could not pull away. I know MSU was depleted but they still had 5 players out on the court at all times and MSU gets good players even in the back up positions.

I have been saying this all season how our FT shooting would haunt us, especially in the big games. This has not been the first game Iowa has lost because of FT shooting and it will not be the last. I love this team and I love the job Fran but you cannot expect a long tournament run when you struggle at the free throw line. The Final Four predictions I thought was crazy talk and so was all the talk on here on winning the B1G title. What we have here is a tournament team, I thought they were last year but this year they have played a tougher schedule and should not have any problems getting in. Let's enjoy it for what it is.

If you are getting frustrated now wait until next year when we lose Marble/Basabe/McCabe/Oglesby. We should still make the dance this year but I will be floored if we make it next year.

I think the future looks very bright for this team, and I would expect it to go dancing next year as well. None of the three seniors is irreplaceable. We'll be good next year as well.

You're "done"? Then please have Jon Miller delete your account and go spend (more of) your days on CyFan, where your true support appears to lie. Only true Hawk fans need to apply to be here.

This. Will tm be done with ISU tonight if they get stomped in Lawrence? Ive never seen anyone say multiple times in a post that they are done and then repeatedly tell us they are still a Hawk fan.

Hawks are a good team but not a great team. Against the top teams, weaknesses get exposed:
*toughness On the post game, Fran complained that Hawks were only 2-10 on getting 50-50 balls.
*free throws
*match-up issues Trying to play White at the three is causing problems on both offense and defense.
He is most effective scoring inside and a very inconsistent outside shooter so teams
clog the middle when guarding him. He is too slow trying to guard the quick three's
in the Big 10. White & Basabe are both in our top five players, but both are four's.
Because of these match-up issues, the Hawks are forced to play a lot of zone, which
means they can't force the tempo.
*post play Neither post player is strong enough to be in the game at crunch time. Both are very limited
offensively and liabilities on perimeter defense.

*bench players It's probably reasonable to see the bench not perform that well vs. the top teams. There
is a reason why they are not starters. Uthoff has a big upside, but his inexperience is showing.
This means the main players have to carry the load in the big games.

This. Will tm be done with ISU tonight if they get stomped in Lawrence? Ive never seen anyone say multiple times in a post that they are done and then repeatedly tell us they are still a Hawk fan.

Saying I'm done expecting them to take the next step is not the same thing as saying I'm done supporting them. I'm just going to take them for what they are, instead of expecting them to be something more because of all the hype.

Saying I'm done expecting them to take the next step is not the same thing as saying I'm done supporting them. I'm just going to take them for what they are, instead of expecting them to be something more because of all the hype.

Pretty heavy stuff considering Iowa isnt yet through half of their conference schedule and has 3 of their 4 toughest road games in the rearview mirror.

This comes across as the kind of fan who shows up at Carver-Hawkeye only because it's free pizza or ice cream night. Fran, and this team, deserve better.

Pretty heavy stuff considering Iowa isnt yet through half of their conference schedule and has 3 of their 4 toughest road games in the rearview mirror.

And we've got how many games like last night to suggest that it probably isn't going to happen? We're basically half way through the season and they still haven't figured out how to close out a good team. Like I said, if they surprise me, great. But I'm no longer expecting them to figure it out.

This comes across as the kind of fan who shows up at Carver-Hawkeye only because it's free pizza or ice cream night. Fran, and this team, deserve better.

Speaking as someone who attended every single home game as a freshman and sophomore to watch Lickliter's garbage, **** off.

He gets mad at teh hype but just a couple weeks ago he was blabbing about how there was no way he was missing the MSU game in Carver because of the chance it had of being a Top 10 matchup and one of the biggest games in Carver in the last 20 years. Dont be mad because you made yourself too excited over one game. You helped build the hype up in your own head and now get all butthurt because the team didnt live up to your expectations last night.

And we've got how many games like last night to suggest that it probably isn't going to happen? We're basically half way through the season and they still haven't figured out how to close out a good team. Like I said, if they surprise me, great. But I'm no longer expecting them to figure it out.

While the luster has somewhat rubbed off the OSU win, they still did close out a good team on the road on January 12, 2014.

Let me first say that I'm still damn proud to call myself a Hawk fan. I'll still support this team from the opening tip to the final buzzer every night out.

But I'm done holding my breath waiting for this group to get over the hump. I'm just going to accept them for what they are: a solid, tourney-caliber team that simply can't finish against the big boys. If they surprise me, they surprise me; but I'm done sitting on pins and needles thinking THIS will be the night they figure it out.

If you'd told me before the game that Dawson and Payne would be out, Harris would have an off night and we'd shoot 23 more free throws than MSU (especially while they went 11-20), I'd have told you that we'd win the game by 20 or more. Instead, we **** the bed again -- only this time we do it on national television.

MSU controlled this game almost the entire time. We never got into our running game and the half court offense was stuck in neutral all night. The defense was great more often than not, but we gave up seemingly endless offensive rebounds in big spots. As for our free throw shooting? When is it time to just say we're not that good of a free throw shooting team? It's not like we shot significantly worse than usual tonight.

Honestly, I'm not sure we're significantly better than last year. Sure, we look a little prettier against the middling teams in the conference, but when the metal meets the meat and we're facing the top teams, we don't really look any different than a year ago. Uthoff looked like he was going to be a damn good addition to this year's rotation, but nearly half way through the conference season, I can full-heartedly say I'd much rather have Eric May back. May was at least as effective offensively as Uthoff has been in conference play, and he was a great defender.

Again, I'm still proud to say I'm an Iowa fan. But I'm done believing this team is/can be great, until they actually prove it on the floor.

I'm far from done. Cyclonefanatic is a great place for you because you have a 100% Cyclone attitude. This team hasn't met your highly unwarranted expectations and now you are ready to throw in the towel. Should we fire Fran? This is the same team that played in the NIT last year, not the Big Show. I'm sorry you are disappointed that this team didn't run the table. I still feel this team has a lot of potential.

Last edited:
I'm not done, I'm just hungover a little....:)....will watch them against Illinois and cheer until the buzzer goes off....

Latest posts