If Jake Starts The Remainder of the Season, Is CJ Gone?

Sokol is starting but how, exactly, has he "flourished"? ESPN highlights? Moving up Mel's Big Board? La Tech winning big every game?

Sokol has thrown 169 times for 1,225 yards and 10 touchdowns so far this year and has a rating of 134.9. That's about 169 more attempts, 1,225 more yards and 10 more TDs than he would have if he had remained at Iowa. Either of Iowa's current signal-callers would love to have those kind of numbers.

There's this to think about: Some schools don't have the 'embarrassment of riches' at QB as Iowa and will go gunning for one of Iowa's QBs. Would that be an NCAA violation? I'm sure the grapevine could convey these other school's desires to Iowa QBs without NCAA infractions - tampering charges. High profile schools, lower profile schools for more playing time, or maybe closer to home? I think the loser of this Iowa QB competition will in all likelihood be gone (because I think the loser will be CJB).

Some of you may not cry over this 'spilled milk': Greg Davis may be gone next.

Last edited:
If CJ is able to graduate a year early, like next summer, then he could go and play for two seasons immediately....that would be a scenario where I think he would consider leaving. Maybe, he would be willing to drop down a division and play two more years....other wise I think he stays...hope so.

There's this to think about: Some schools don't have the 'embarrassment of riches' at QB as Iowa and will go gunning for one of Iowa's QBs. Would that be an NCAA violation? I'm sure the grapevine could convey these other school's desires to Iowa QBs without NCAA infractions - tampering charges. High profile schools, lower profile schools for more playing time, or maybe closer to home? I think the loser of this Iowa QB completion will in all likelihood be gone (because I think the loser will be CJB).

Yes, that would be a huge NCAA violation to contact another team's player while said play was still at the school.

Thanks captain obvious. What if said school were to contact the, for example, 4 or 5 removed cousin of a player? Offer the 'liaison' a car for their influences? There may be a 'savior' for some school's football program, but no, can't do it because it would be illegal?

EDIT: WWBHD What would Brady Hoke do?

Last edited:
Thanks captain obvious. What is said school were to contact the, for example, 4 or 5 removed cousin of a player? Offer the 'liaison' a car for his influences? There may be a 'savior' for some school's football program, but no, can't do it because it would be illegal.

Using a bag man would still be a violation. Just harder to prove.
Or, for the Cam Newtons of the world, the NCAA wouldn't really care.

Sokol has thrown 169 times for 1,225 yards and 10 touchdowns so far this year and has a rating of 134.9. That's about 169 more attempts, 1,225 more yards and 10 more TDs than he would have if he had remained at Iowa. Either of Iowa's current signal-callers would love to have those kind of numbers.

And LaTech is tearing up what, C-USA? And being a punching bag for any/every P5 team they face?

If I was CJ, I wouldn't stick around to hold a clip board knowing I was the best QB on the team. I would hate playing for an OC that wants me to check down most plays because he believes the deep route will be covered anyway.

Perhaps the most ignorant thing I have read on these boards in 2014. So if you are a good player and a confident player, and you are 100% certain that you are wasting away your very limited college eligibility sitting on the bench because the coach prefers a less talented player, it would be "soft" of you or you "fear competition" if you consider going somewhere else where you will get a fair shot? Do you know what "competition" means? It means two sides each have a chance to win something. If Kirk is committed to Jake starting every game for 3 years of your college career regardless of how you play, how is that a competition? How are you soft for feeling ****** off that you are thrown in for one series per game when the lesser qb dinks and dunks his way to 3 year starter status?
And some of us have seen these things up close, and it's clear some, including haven't been in the same area code

If CJB doesn't get much playing time over the next few games I hope the kid decides to transfer. He has shown he's very talented and that he can win games in a power 5 conference. Why not go somewhere, play for a coach that wants you as the starter (not as a default option) and test your abilities? I personally would love to see the kid play a full season somewhere and see what he's truly capable of.

If CJB doesn't get much playing time over the next few games I hope the kid decides to transfer. He has shown he's very talented and that he can win games in a power 5 conference. Why not go somewhere, play for a coach that wants you as the starter (not as a default option) and test your abilities? I personally would love to see the kid play a full season somewhere and see what he's truly capable of.

I'm a huge fan of the iowa hawkeyes so I hope he stays no matter what happens.

I'm a huge fan of the iowa hawkeyes so I hope he stays no matter what happens.
Just because my opinion is the kid should try and make the most of his limited time as a collegiate athlete doesn't mean I don't support the Hawk players. However, KF has made it extremely difficult to support him and the pretty hard to watch product he has been putting on the field. I hope for CJB's sake, he recognizes that he has pretty rare D1 skills and decides that those skills can be used for scoring tds instead of holding clip boards for captain dink and dunk. Pretty simple really.

Just because my opinion is the kid should try and make the most of his limited time as a collegiate athlete doesn't mean I don't support the Hawk players. However, KF has made it extremely difficult to support him and the pretty hard to watch product he has been putting on the field. I hope for CJB's sake, he recognizes that he has pretty rare D1 skills and decides that those skills can be used for scoring tds instead of holding clip boards for captain dink and dunk. Pretty simple really.

I don't even necessarily disagree with any of this, I just can't hope for one player to leave for his own sake when it would hurt the hawks.

I hope both qbs play well, cause they are both gonna get meaningful snaps. I will support whatever qb is playing.

Just freaking win.

If I was CJ, I wouldn't stick around to hold a clip board knowing I was the best QB on the team. I would hate playing for an OC that wants me to check down most plays because he believes the deep route will be covered anyway.
The bolded should be head coach. FIFY.

Latest posts