If Jake Starts The Remainder of the Season, Is CJ Gone?

By reading this thread one could get the idea KF has said CJB is done for the year.

Given how reluctant KF has been to play the kids with more talent (higher ceilings) at QB and instead opt to go with the safer (more conservative) option, your statement may very well be true. I hope it's not but the jury is out until we see this play out with the Hawks.

Given how reluctant KF has been to play the kids with more talent (higher ceilings) at QB and instead opt to go with the safer (more conservative) option, your statement may very well be true. I hope it's not but the jury is out until we see this play out with the Hawks.
Listen I want to see CJB get his shot too. But who on this board am I to presume knows more about coaching than KF. Just saying it gets little crazy on here some times

Listen I want to see CJB get his shot too. But who on this board am I to presume knows more about coaching than KF. Just saying it gets little crazy on here some times

I don't see what is so crazy about this. Why is it that every fan that's watched the Hawks recognized JR wasn't the answer in the early going and there was a need for a QB that could stretch the field??? Coaching football isn't rocket science...don't know why we think as much. When 8 guys are in the box, it's difficult to establish a running game and the little dink and dunk underneath routes tend to not go for much. We finally get a QB with some stones to unleash the deep ball and what do you know...an actual offense began to emerge. Sure JRs numbers are great, but my 8 year old son would have great numbers if he throws the 5 yard underneath routes 35 times in a game. My wish is that some of these Hawk "fans" open their eyes and look at the evidence that's in front of them. With JR we had to squeak by the likes of powerhouses Ball St. and UNI, were losing to Pitt at half and we lost...AT HOME...to a very bad Iowa State team. How did those great numbers work out for you...did you enjoy what you saw...would they have been good enough to be an even decent BIG team? CJB comes in, does a nice job on the road at Pitt and then has a slow start but looked great in the 2nd half at Purdue. Let the kid have a few games...JR will be there if we need someone to keep us close against Minnesota.

Except that this isn't just crazy message board stuff... you can hear a lot of the same comments and opinions from sportswriters and broadcasters...most of them who've been around the game for awhile and know what the hell they're talking about...some former players.

KFz may "know" a lot about football. But he also has some serious tunnel vision when it comes to game day. Knowledge is one thing. Being able to apply it effectively in real time (from the sideline) is another story.

Here’s the way I see it: I think you have asked the wrong questions. My questions are to KF how can he put Jake through that? The majority of the fans in that stadium will want CJB first bad play from JR I know what you will hear. I do not agree but the boo birds will come out.

My big question is how many fans are going to get fed up with KF coaching style and decisions? You are hearing more and more from non KF supporters people are wanting to move on because just like we have seen the top of Jake’s game have we seen the best KF can do?

My question is who knows how this is going to play out. I understand KF nature but I have a hard time beliving that CJB is not going to be the main guy the rest of the year. I could be wrong. But I am willing to let it play out

i'm assuming we are talking POSITIVE stats here. so you're saying:

jake over 3 quarters: 1 TD and 100 yards

CJ over 1 quarter: 1 TD and 100 yards

that exact scenario plays out over the next SEVEN games and you don't think the coaches would change a single thing?

this gets even more ridiculous as the stats go up.

KF has, at times, flown in the face of empirical evidence. Maybe JR can change his approach and star throwing downfield 15-20 yards more consistently. But in his 3rd year in the system, I just don't see it happening. JR doesn't have the arm strength to take the time to survey the field, wait for routes to develop and rip it into a tight window. Because of this, in my opinion, JR needs to do my "pre-snap" interpreting of who could get open so that he can anticipate making a deeper throw. He takes a quick look and then dumps down if his guy isn't open.

CJ has the ability to do this an actually has shown us how GD's offense should be run. I think Nic Shimonek transferred because of CJ and not JR. Anyway, CJ utilizes GD's route patterns the way they're intended. So, if JR starts the rest of this season, if I was CJ, I'd split and go somewhere down south where they throw the hell out of the ball. Do what Sokol did. CJ has an NFL arm, NFL talent and, in my opinion, NFL QB ability to read coverages. If he doesn't start this season, he won't next, either.

The key is for CJ to keep playing like CJ and not get bogged down in the ultra conservatism that is coached into our QBs. At the beginning of the Purdue game, he was clearly not the same guy we have seen in games past.

I'm not saying CJB hasn't earned some playing time. The thing is, whenever a football team is not performing up to expectations (no matter how unrealistic those expectations are) the backup quarterback is always the solution. It's been that way for longer than I've been alive (and I'm 58).

CJ almost left at the end of last season but the coaches talked him into staying. I don't know what they said as he wasn't actively looking around but he decided to stay.

I can see CJ's frustrations brewing. He sees Jake throw an awful INT, give up a fumble, and throw a whole lot of 2 yard outs, while Minn builds a 28 point lead, and he still rides the pine. He comes in to a dime package where all his WRs are double teamed, and he still manages to show more arm in a few throws than Jake did all game.

I can see CJ's frustrations brewing. He sees Jake throw an awful INT, give up a fumble, and throw a whole lot of 2 yard outs, while Minn builds a 28 point lead, and he still rides the pine. He comes in to a dime package where all his WRs are double teamed, and he still manages to show more arm in a few throws than Jake did all game.

yeah, kfootball has hitched his offense to the wrong QB and is either too dumb or too stubborn to realize he can, and it's okay to make a change to salvage a season. And there is still time, but we'll see JR the rest of the season, lose 2 more game, win some crappy bowl, have the kfootballers sing "what a great season" and watch CJ leave town, soon afterwards.

kfootball doesn't get it anymore. He used to, but not any longer.

Our Oline and Dline(the whole defense really)play like they did today, it probably won't matter who the QB is.
Iowa's defense hasn't been good all year. Iowa needs all the offense it can muster to win games. To start the QB who's the least liable to generate points is, IMO, unconscionable or, at least, it shows very little aptitude or grasp of reality.

What's up with the OLine? Brandon S. is hurt, isn't he?

Both lines played poorly today.

Iowa had no chance with either QB. Iowa had no chance in **** with Jake.

Let's say Davis is able to insert CJ in the game for a couple of series each game for the remainder of the season, but Jake keeps the starter nod and plays at least 3 quarters per game. Both put up similar numbers. Does CJ transfer at the end of the season, knowing he does not stand a chance of playing next year, with Kirk's golden boy at the helm?
Is the sky blue?

Latest posts