I think Hawkeye message boards right now are a good example

My goal is to have a message board that is pretty much facebook connect...no anonymity. It would mean a drastic reduction in traffic, but one day, I am going to do that. Probably not soon. But one day, it's going to happen. The message boards continue to devolve into something that is less than enjoyable. That didn't used to be the case.

A little less anonymity might not be so bad, at least it might reduce the troll traffic.

I don't think a message board ever a good example of anything other than a place to find a bunch fanatical people sounding like complete jack*****. I tailgate with a group of about 30 people. I don't think a single one is interested in losing Ferentz, and feel like the program is in good hands. They realize Iowa is not great, but they aren't light years away from being great either.

Jon, I can see why you might feel this way when a food portion of your interaction with fans has been through message boards and on Sound Off. That would be like judging human race after meeting Adolf Hitler and Pol Pot. I have a feeling your opinions are going to erode even more living in Tulsa and not actually interacting with Hawkeye fans in person at all. Try to keep that in perspective.

Anytime I have ever tailgated we usually don't complain either, not the right atmosphere for it.

A little less anonymity might not be so bad, at least it might reduce the troll traffic.

just being honest here. the really bad trolls aren't above making up fake facebook accounts. in fact, they're more likely to do so. yeah, the regular folks will maybe hold their tongues more, so if that's enough for Jon, then so be it. but i don't think it will keep the crazy people from being crazy.

just being honest here. the really bad trolls aren't above making up fake facebook accounts. in fact, they're more likely to do so. yeah, the regular folks will maybe hold their tongues more, so if that's enough for Jon, then so be it. but i don't think it will keep the crazy people from being crazy.

I was thinking the same thing. Imagine what fake account ok4p would use.

Fair point.

We are 4 games into the B10. Let's see how we finish because I think three of the last four are very, very winnable. So we go 8-4 and you are disappointed? I think we need to let this thing play out. I think the team has gotten much better...and more importantly, I think they will be better next year too. Things are pointing up people...all is good, remain calm, all is good.

I agree ^

I was thinking the same thing. Imagine what fake account ok4p would use.

it could be humorous actually. we'd definitely have a lot of former players and coaches on here. there could be as many as a dozen Kirk Ferentz's on here, or more!

Agreed.

If my father-in-law can make about 20 fake facebook accounts to play his stupid farmville game, then the run-of-the-mill HN poster should have no problems.

Agreed.

If my father-in-law can make about 20 fake facebook accounts to play his stupid farmville game, then the run-of-the-mill HN poster should have no problems.

LOL! i never thought of making fake accounts for games. that's funny.

LOL! i never thought of making fake accounts for games. that's funny.

That's not a joke. He made accounts for every relative he could think of, living and dead.

He's retired and has a LOT of time on his hands.

Holy crap. I just realized these facts:

1. My father-in-law has a LOT of time on his hands, and he knows how to make fake accounts.

2. His spelling is atrocious.

Sudden realization: my father-in-law is probably half the alts on HN.

It explains so much.

No denying the lunatic fringe might point to this but, for the most part, I think this statement is just as short-sighted, inaccurate and unrealistic as expecting it.

-- BEAT who you should beat (ISU, 2 weak non-con, NwU, Purdue, Indiana, Illannoy, Minny?);
-- At least split with your peers (Wisky, MSU, Penn St?, Nebby? Maryland and Rutgers);
-- Challenge Michigan and OSU and beat them every 3rd / 4th season (that's merely a recruiting class's development cycle).
-- ABOVE ALL -- always be competitive, prepared, strategically fluid and schematically adaptable, while utilizing your best, most effective players in situations that maximize their strengths / exploit the opponents' weaknesses and give you the best opportunities to win the game.

Depending who's on the schedule among those 3 tiers, I consider Iowa to be at a level of program where it should always win at least 7 or 8 games and occasionally win 10 or 11 games.

My "contempt" is based on the last point. Kirt's personnel mismanagement and situational schematic / strategical failures were suspect about the time you mentioned, 2007, became apparent during the Pitt game, in 2008, and have now become an expectation that he will snatch at least 1 or 2 inexplicable (i.m.o., unacceptable) losses from the jaws of victory. For a coach that used to be lauded as doing more with less, he's just become a coach that does less.

While I am on the fence with the last paragraph, I agree with the basis of your expectations and where the level of our program is. I think KF has shown some change though, GD has mixed it up a bit. Phil Parker has even shown some different wrinkles. I think KF is realizing some change is necessary. Just like his loyalty to his players and coaches, change comes slow. Some call it being stubborn, turning a blind eye or etc. Others may view it as sticking to the basics and keeping it simple. It's similar to hearing coaches talk about Ipwa teams. Most claim they are well-coached and disciplined. Something must be going well, don't we still have the most interior lineman active in the NFL? Wasn't there a similar stat for defensive backs?

Agreed.

I'll still have the ban hammer. Will also look to incorporate a way for people to get voted off the island.

I've been to a lot of football games the past 10 years and talked to many different people - I'd say its about 70/30 who don't have much faith in ferentz anymore.

These people acting like it's only the message board - I must say the message board reflects most everything else I hear - good and bad and about the same proportion.

Thats weird...because the crowd i run with is about 80/20 in favor of Ferentz. I'd say my group is much more representative of the avg fan than yours...

my uncle played for evy and has his picture in a team picture in one of the plaques in the se entrance area - i'm always 'proud' to bring that fact up when given the opportunity! :)

for everyone who brings up 'evy' in these discussions - you also have to understand why he quit being a coach at iowa. since you brought him into the conversation, i'd assume you know that answer.

And I think those who bring up Evy have to be reminded that after he left... Iowa went 54-124 in the next 17 years with only 1 winning season (5-4) and 3 .500 seasons. Those were the years of Burns, Nagel, Lauterbur and Commings. My brother was in the Hawkeye Marching Band during the Commings years. They played the Hawkeye Fight Song for first downs because if they only played it during scores, they might NEVER play it during a game!

Gets to the post season and beats SEC teams regularly? Lolz!! Wut, did I fall asleep and wake up in 2004?

2010 Insight Bowl - Iowa 27, Missouri 24 (of course, Big 12 then).
2009 Outback Bowl - Iowa 31, South Carolina 10.
2004 Capitol One Bowl - Iowa 30, LSU 25 (One of the best finishes in ANY bowl game ever!)
2003 Outback Bowl - Iowa 37, Florida 17.

Kirk is actually 3-1 (4-1 if you include now SEC member Missouri) against the SEC in bowl games. I'd call that regularly.

Latest posts