I think Hawkeye message boards right now are a good example

How is this not a bannable post? Seems like you're advocating harm to someone else. Maybe it's just a whiney post. Most posters, if they disagree with someone else's post, usually engage with the HN member they disagree with.
"Harm" really, brah?

OK, anyway, back to sanity here:

Jon. Jon, Jon, Jon, Jon, *big sigh* You post something like this fairly regularly. "There's too much negativity, Ima gonna clean house."

I'm not sure what you expect from this message board? Why is negativity, and yes even some complete meltdowns bad? I enjoy the different points of view. There has to be some entertainment as well or why even come here.

What are you trying to create here, The McNeil Lahrer Hour of sports? Yawn............

Disagree, I supported KOK, and would if he were to come back.

OK, then you should get some kind of tenure, too. I can sympathize with JD because being a moderator is hard work because you always have a bunch of idiots who just can't exercise any degree of decorum and they push and push and push until you are forced to ban them. I think JD does a good job moderating this place given the traffic over here, but I worry that putting a tyrannical majority in charge of ban decisions could lead to a degradation in the quality of the board.

The posters that I would like to see gone are the ones who NEVER have anything positive to say about the the team, coaches, and program, and who hijack every thread with name-calling and attacks on other posters who have the nerve to be optimistic. They do not seem to want the Hawks to win, revel in any mistakes or bad news, and denigrate accomplishments. It's disgusting and embarrassing. This is a fan site and these people are not fans of anything.

"Harm" really, brah?

OK, anyway, back to sanity here:

Jon. Jon, Jon, Jon, Jon, *big sigh* You post something like this fairly regularly. "There's too much negativity, Ima gonna clean house."

I'm not sure what you expect from this message board? Why is negativity, and yes even some complete meltdowns bad? I enjoy the different points of view. There has to be some entertainment as well or why even come here.

What are you trying to create here, The McNeil Lahrer Hour of sports? Yawn............

Too many guys call out the players. The coaching staff is fair game, but no one should call out the players.

The posters that I would like to see gone are the ones who NEVER have anything positive to say about the the team, coaches, and program, and who hijack every thread with name-calling and attacks on other posters who have the nerve to be optimistic. They do not seem to want the Hawks to win, revel in any mistakes or bad news, and denigrate accomplishments. It's disgusting and embarrassing. This is a fan site and these people are not fans of anything.

I agree. Frankly, I'd like to see some of those people removed from the Stadium as well.

If you want to feel better about Hawkeye message boards today, you can check out some Nebraska boards. When a program has success, fans overreact. It's just human nature I guess.

The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge - HuskerBoard.com - Husker Message Board

This is my favorite post so far:
Nebraska football is dead... they will not be able to compete in recruiting with other teams in the country...the days of running a unique offense that require special types of players are over....unless they are willing to spend big money on high quality coaches that can compete in recruiting... the program will become a dinosaur in college football... maybe they can switch to division 2 ball.

If you want to feel better about Hawkeye message boards today, you can check out some Nebraska boards. When a program has success, fans overreact. It's just human nature I guess.

The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge - HuskerBoard.com - Husker Message Board

Nebraska football is dead... they will not be able to compete in recruiting with other teams in the country...the days of running a unique offense that require special types of players are over....unless they are willing to spend big money on high quality coaches that can compete in recruiting... the program will become a dinosaur in college football... maybe they can switch to division 2 ball.

The program "will" become a dinosaur? Sorry guys, the program already is a dinosaur. Sure, things were great when Nebraska only had to beat Oklahoma for a berth in the effective national championship game, but those days are long in the past. Nebraska hasn't hit the lows of Iowa bince the turn of the millennium, but I don't know that they've hit as many of the highs either. Irregardless, they are darned lucky that pretty much all they'll have to do is be better than Iowa and Wisconsin to get to the Big Ten title game starting next year, but, they have to realize that even playing lower tier Big Ten teams in cold weather week after week from mid October on can be pretty taxing and after getting beaten up for a few straight weeks, you can easily lose to Northwestern or Minnesota.

It makes me smile.

OK, then you should get some kind of tenure, too. I can sympathize with JD because being a moderator is hard work because you always have a bunch of idiots who just can't exercise any degree of decorum and they push and push and push until you are forced to ban them. I think JD does a good job moderating this place given the traffic over here, but I worry that putting a tyrannical majority in charge of ban decisions could lead to a degradation in the quality of the board.

I agree 100%. Having one's fate in the hands of some of these posters would be frightening at best.

JD - if you go down this route, I suggest you exempt posters with at least 9980 posts from the voting. As the last standing supporter of both Alford and O'Keefe, I need some sort of tenure-like protection or else this place will lose all viewpoint diversity. Your board prolly has too much traffic to do it effectively, but a two level cut for most posters (other than pure trolls or spambots, of course) should be used. Level 1 is where the members vote, level 2 is where the applicable member can plead his case for mercy and then the mod acts as judge, jury and executioner. You don't want to run on a pure majority vote system, though, because if someone gets pwn3d and is butthurt, they can start all sorts of campaigns to ban superior posters and the average IQ at this place will drop even further below room temperature.

A minimum of 10 grand in posts.

I agree. Frankly, I'd like to see some of those people removed from the Stadium as we.

I'd like to remove the ones that don't yell and cheer, never pump up the burrito, never smile for the Delta Dental smile cam, never stand ever but especially when the opposing team is on their 3rd down, that don't know who the OC is, and especially the guys two rows up behind me with the beef jerky farts.

Oh...that those dip*hits from the security group that warned us to stopping touching the velvet security rope.

IOW you want a site full of sycophants, kind of the online equivalent of a cult.

I'd like to remove the ones that don't yell and cheer, never pump up the burrito, never smile for the Delta Dental smile cam, never stand ever but especially when the opposing team is on their 3rd down, that don't know who the OC is, and especially the guys two rows up behind me with the beef jerky farts.

Oh...that those dip*hits from the security group that warned us to stopping touching the velvet security rope.

You touched the velvet security rope???? *gasp*

but I worry that putting a tyrannical majority in charge of ban decisions could lead to a degradation in the quality of the board.

There's no doubt that you are correct in this. The ability to add 'mob action' and do this has been in this software for a couple years...never did it because folks can't be trusted with things like this...I just think it would be funny to watch ensue...then again it would trash the place. Will not do it...just like we took away the reputation points and such because a) people were petty with it and b) people got real offended when a) happened, which I thought was c) silly. But I am d) a curmudgeon ;)

There's no doubt that you are correct in this. The ability to add 'mob action' and do this has been in this software for a couple years...never did it because folks can't be trusted with things like this...I just think it would be funny to watch ensue...then again it would trash the place. Will not do it...just like we took away the reputation points and such because a) people were petty with it and b) people got real offended when a) happened, which I thought was c) silly. But I am d) a curmudgeon ;)

I loved those rep points. The comments I got in the rep thing were absolutely hysterical. I could actually feel the wadding of the commenters' panties.

Latest posts