I just want to get this post out of the way now

I think Iowa's schedule is very favorable, and 5 wins is the low...but I can't find 8...and leaning more to 6 than 7.

We are Iowa and shouldn't expect more than 6-7 wins a year. I see this year as further erosion of the FB program. Lowering expectations is usually the way people avoid admitting they were wrong about the direction of a program.

FWIW the only person who said anything remotely like 6-7 wins is all we can expect, which begs the question, who the **** are you arguing with?

By mid-season none of those players listed were in the lineup except for Ryan Hanson. Matt Stockdale took over for Tim Dodge, Benny Sapp had taken Brown's spot at CB and Bob Sanders knocked Shane Hall out of the lineup. As far as the line I'll take Kampman, Pickens, Anthony Herron and Jerry Montgomery and Colin Cole off the bench over that two deep that came out today that included five freshman. The LB's were RJ Meyer (Steen was a backup with little to no playing time) Fred Barr, and Woods with Mike Dolezal being in the rotation as well, that group is just as good the 2012 LB'ers.

Miller is right - It is not outrageous at all to think this years defense will be just as bad as the 2000 version.

It is hard to believe that was 12 years ago, d*mn I am getting old. Anyway I agree except that 2000 DL was really undersized I know Kampman and at least 2 or 3 others had to put on a bunch of weight.

FWIW the only person who said anything remotely like 6-7 wins is all we can expect is you, which begs the question, who the **** are you arguing with?

This is so depressing with the schedule we face. To be expecting 5-7 wins...just disgusting. I certainly hope some of the young guys emerge next fall and we find a way to win 8+.

Depressing is the right word you look at that schedule and you go wtf they can't get 8 wins out of that? They've had a favorable schedule the last 2 years and yet they are 15-11, so 6-6 this year is probably right.:(

Last edited:
Don't forget that our punting game is going to be extremely inexperienced as well (Weinke and Mullings are co-1's at this point). Could make for some short fields for opposing offenses to work with. Usually our scoring defense isn't as bad as our yardage defense, but this year that could even out.

I agree, an ugly defensive year is likely.

My expectations are not very high for this season. 4 wins worst case and 8 wins best case.

It's going to be full of growing pains.

We are Iowa and shouldn't expect more than 6-7 wins a year. I see this year as further erosion of the FB program. Lowering expectations is usually the way people avoid admitting they were wrong about the direction of a program.

Your posts in football forum are as inane and insipid as your posts in the off-topic/politics forum(s).

I don't think anyone is lowering expectations for the program long-term (at least I hope not). Predicting 4-8 wins this year as has occurred in this thread many times is a reflection of what Iowa lost to graduation/draft/attrition, plus the fact that both lines need to be rebuilt especially DL. If form holds true to last year, Iowa will get roughed up a couple times, blow out a few bad teams, and have a bunch of toss up games in the middle, so any of the results predicted here could happen. When I predict a 6 win season (which is my prediction) I'm not saying I'd be happy with it especially if that trend continued for the next 5 years or something. Both coordinators were replaced and three coaches added total, DL coach that may have been a factor in attrition is gone, so I'm happy with those changes for now, time to give them a chance before we cry foul on direction of the program. If the next 2-3 seasons are struggles to get to .500 then it's time to think over the direction of things.

I don't think anyone is lowering expectations for the program long-term (at least I hope not). Predicting 4-8 wins this year as has occurred in this thread many times is a reflection of what Iowa lost to graduation/draft/attrition, plus the fact that both lines need to be rebuilt especially DL. If form holds true to last year, Iowa will get roughed up a couple times, blow out a few bad teams, and have a bunch of toss up games in the middle, so any of the results predicted here could happen. When I predict a 6 win season (which is my prediction) I'm not saying I'd be happy with it especially if that trend continued for the next 5 years or something. Both coordinators were replaced and three coaches added total, DL coach that may have been a factor in attrition is gone, so I'm happy with those changes for now, time to give them a chance before we cry foul on direction of the program. If the next 2-3 seasons are struggles to get to .500 then it's time to think over the direction of things.

Agreed.

Fans need to remember that Ferentz' teams usually overachieve when no one expects anything and usually underachieve when there are huge expectations.

Like 1999, 2000, 2006, and 2007?

That is a silly argument. What you mean is Iowa is often overrated when they have had attrition. 2005 was silly. There was nothing left on the DL.

2010 was really about injuries. Ending the season with a Tfreshman MLB, a walk-on at guard, and no DC sealed their fate.

KF goes 3 years 7 or fewer wins, 3 years 8 or more wins. This is the mid-point of a down cycle. That is all the pundits should focus on till the cycle is broken.

as to save some headaches this fall.

The 2012 Iowa defense is going to approach 2000 levels. This group is in a rebuilding mode, not reloading. The attrition they have had up front is coming home to roost this year and it's going to be painful. That bill was going to come due, and this is the year of the payment.

Iowa may have to be more aggressive on offense than Kirk typically likes to have a chance to win games this year, because the defense is not going to do it. I think after the 2012 season ends, we'll look back fondly at the 2011 numbers, which are the 'worst' of the KF era outside of 1999 and 2000.

That said, I see a brighter 2013, where the DL starts to resemble its old self. Hopefully one of the young safeties can channel his inner Bob Sanders in run support next year, as Iowa is really, really going to need it.

So, no calls for Phil Parker's head. You can see this train coming down the track in March. Heck, you could hear the whistle blowing back in January.

In 2000, Iowa's defense allowed:

440 yards per game. It will not be that bad. Was 378 in 2011
27.50 points per game...I think it could be like that. It was 23.85 in 2011
194 rushing yards per game...I could see 175+ in 2012. It was 156 in 2011

Phil Parker deserves a honeymoon of sorts, I guess, and at least a season to begin to bring in and develop the talent for an improved defense. But not much more; he was a key component of Norm's staff over the years, and as such deserves part of the credit for Iowa's defensive successes and placement of players in the NFL. But questions can be asked about why that staff was not able to reload as quickly as might be desired to replace those departures.

That is why some people were hoping Kirk would bring in some outside energy and talent.

Hopefully Phil can get it going at a higher level again.

They've had pretty damn good recruiting over the last few years when it comes to DL. Honestly, name a program who has had all starting four lineman drafted in a two year period that isn't named Alabama, Ohio State, or another of similar stature. Yeah, I'm disappointed with the last few years and with what appears to be coming this season but lets all pump the brakes just a bit.

Iowa listed 16 seniors on the position player two-deep yesterday. Of the 16, just six have been full time starters. 34 of the 50 total players listed were RSFr, Sophs or Juniors..many with little to no serious playing time under their belts.

Last edited:
Iowa listed 16 seniors on the position player two-deep yesterday. Of the 16, just six have been full time starters. 34 of the 50 total players listed were RSFr, Sophs or Juniors..many with little to no serious playing time under their belts.

Exactly, so look out in a year or two. And it wouldn't be out of the question to expect another three years of what we all have missed the last few years.

Is the point of this post to tell readers not to criticize the defense b/c it won't be tolerated?

Nope. We don't censor opinion as long as its not attacking players or using other inappropriate language.

I just don't want to get to October and there be a vocal group of people who act surprised when this team struggles to slow down other offenses.

There is no way to know how things will play out...

Do you really want a Mitch King to develop? Or do you want this group to hold down the fort until the freshmen are built up physically? Also, do you want to play true freshmen?

Remember 2005? Kanellis and Bain were coming in as 4 star TF. King was the little engine that kinda could who had a year up on the pups. Both Bain and Kanellis played, but both were not nearly ready. Kanellis gets his head kicked in and has to quit football, Bain realizes he is never going to be able to pass a guy who has a year of development and the same eligibility and leaves.

Iowa needs to NOT play this like 2005! They need to work Cooper into the system while cooling the heals of the TF. Reese has to be able to keep these guys happy and motivated to grow. They just really need to be able to sell the future. However, they also need to be open to the idea that certain players might just be place holders this year.

at this point. I'm fine with true freshmen playing if they are good enough to make an impact. Ballard played as a true freshman in 2007, and we saw flashes late in the year when he started making plays. That carried over into 2008 where he hit the ground running. Clayborn started to get into the mix in 2007 as a RS freshman and made an impact later in the season (MSU and Northwestern). Any freshman or RS freshman should not be playing 75 snaps a game this year, but if they can play they need to get on the field. Ekatite and Johnson have the size to possibly contribute inside. Won't know until August if they are physically ready to contribute, but I would bet that one of them does not redshirt this year.

Might want to make sure those guys play a down before we get too far ahead of ourselves. I believe Kyle "Bonecrusher" Williams was perhaps the highest rated defensive player Kurt ever landed but he didn't even make it a week before getting run out. And now I believe he is a guest of either the State of Indiana or Illinois (can't remember where he actually went to trial).

Bringing up Kyle Williams? That's the best you can do?

Latest posts