I just want to get this post out of the way now

The conservative offense is WHAT BAILED OUT THE D many of those years. Ferentz came from Baltimore and he tries to run the program the way they did when he was there/the way the Steelers used to run their franchise in the '90's. No turnovers, field position, milk the clock, minimize possessions, force the other teams' offense into a mistake, good o-line and running game, etc. You can't just bring Mr. Fancy Pants who got run out of Austin up here to run that.

This remains to be seen. And see we shall. Soon.

My bad on the highest rated players. Ekakite was a 4* as was Jaleel Johnson from the '12 class. Law was a 3* per rivals.

Okeefe this is about the defense and how offensive its going to be in the near future. The point that I was trying to make but failed because my 2 yr old was chasing my 5 yr old around with a pair of scissors is the defense had NO changes from a coaching personnel standpoint. It kept the same old guard in place and apparently we are going to suck per Jon. In those infamous words that I can't remember who spoke them; "I blame myself" should be appropriate here.

Could you imagine a KOK coached team trying to put up some numbers to bail out the defense? Its almost unfathomable.

ah I never look at rivals, coop and nico 4 per scout

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'll ask the question again: How does a program this mature, with a coach and staff this established... allow the ranks to get so thin? Yeah, I know we've lost some players.. but somebody isn't doin' their job.

If your assessment is on the mark, we're looking at a sub 500 season. KFz will never warm up to the radical idea of scoring more... he'll cling to his "ball control" method.

He said it best himself in today's presser... he's a slow learner.

Last edited:
Was there ever an official story on why Bonecrusher only lasted like a day in Iowa City? And what in the hell was Tiller smoking? Here you've gotta guy Ferentz presumably ran immediately and Tiller is all like "Oh Bonecrusher, please come play for us" and then he gets busted for a slew of felonies within a matter of weeks.

NCAA Clearinghouse.

I think he got 37 years in Indiana prison...not sure if he got anything for assault investigations in Illinois, too.

Last edited:
So I'll ask the question again: How does a program this mature, with a coach and staff this established... allow the ranks to get so thin?

Yeah, I know we've lost some players.. but this is ridiculous. Somebody isn't doin' their job.

I believe the one guy not doing his job is now gone. Although, recruiting wasn't his job recently. People argue this the other way, but it is what it is.

So I'll ask the question again: How does a program this mature, with a coach and staff this established... allow the ranks to get so thin? Yeah, I know we've lost some players.. but somebody isn't doin' their job.

I think that somebody who was a big part in why there was such a revolving door on the DL is now in Lincoln. KF has gone out of his way to talk up Reese Morgan's abilities and how he builds players up and develops them on at least three separate occasions and Brian Ferentz one other time.

I believe the one guy not doing his job is now gone. Although, recruiting wasn't his job recently. People argue this the other way, but it is what it is.

Iowa is a developmental program for the most part, and they have a great track record of that along the DL.

Guys who were not highly recruited and starred on the Iowa DL:

King
Kroul
Klug
Clauss
Babineaux
Binns
Daniels

Development. But when they don't stick around you can't develop them

Iowa is a developmental program for the most part, and they have a great track record of that along the DL.

One thing I've always wondered Jon is that we always seem to have around the same recruiting class, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. We are excellent at sending lesser talents to the pros, but you'd think at some point that would be a great selling point to get more highly talented recruits to come here.

I get the logistics of are recruiting area, but I've always wondered with Iowa's pro track record why hasn't that attracted more talent?

Jon:

Don't worry. I was posting this same information before last season. It was clearly evident what was coming down the pike this year.

This has been why I have been so insistent on the KF 3 year up and 3 year down cycle still being in effect. There was just no way to stop the slide

Gotta feel a bit bad for Morris.

Guys who were not highly recruited and starred on the Iowa DL:KingKroulKlugClaussBabineauxBinnsDanielsDevelopment. But when they don't stick around you can't develop them

i might even add roth to this list. even though he was higher rated i believe that was as a lb and he switched to de. correct me if i am remembering wrong, but we have had people go that way which shows us as developmental too.

Roth was not a developmental player. Yes he was an extremely highly ranked Linebacker that moved to D line, but he had a great year as a sophomore on the 2002 team. To me he just switched positions but I wouldn't call him a developmental player.

Iowa has had an attrition problem. That's an issue that I hope has been rectified with some staff changes, one who became the DL coach in...2007. If it continues then that is a bigger problem.

As for the highest rate D player the last three years being Anthony Ferguson, I am pretty sure Cooper was a 4*...as were Johnson and Ekakitie

You might want to run this by Chad before you go making wild claims like that.

I'm kind of glad I have to work on Saturday's this year, much easier to accept when following game on my phone. Hopefully less 3 and outs with KOK gone so our D will get a breather... KOK was horrible.

Wait, didn't you predict 12-0 two years ago? How did that turn out? Perhaps we can let this spring play out before we predict doom and gloom?

KF allowing that attrition to continue as long and as systematically as he did may ultimately end up being his waterloo.

I see anywhere between 5-8 wins next year and agree with Jon that 6 seems likely. I also think it is entirely possible that Iowa starts 5-1, and ends 1-5.

2013 is going to be a very hot seat for Kirk, no way around it, and ultimately, he'll have no one but himself to blame for it. He knows this too - that is why all the public talk about reexamining things this off season... he is trying to tell the public that he gets it, that 4-4 isn't good enough.

Latest posts