I just want to get this post out of the way now

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
as to save some headaches this fall.

The 2012 Iowa defense is going to approach 2000 levels. This group is in a rebuilding mode, not reloading. The attrition they have had up front is coming home to roost this year and it's going to be painful. That bill was going to come due, and this is the year of the payment.

Iowa may have to be more aggressive on offense than Kirk typically likes to have a chance to win games this year, because the defense is not going to do it. I think after the 2012 season ends, we'll look back fondly at the 2011 numbers, which are the 'worst' of the KF era outside of 1999 and 2000.

That said, I see a brighter 2013, where the DL starts to resemble its old self. Hopefully one of the young safeties can channel his inner Bob Sanders in run support next year, as Iowa is really, really going to need it.

So, no calls for Phil Parker's head. You can see this train coming down the track in March. Heck, you could hear the whistle blowing back in January.

In 2000, Iowa's defense allowed:

440 yards per game. It will not be that bad. Was 378 in 2011
27.50 points per game...I think it could be like that. It was 23.85 in 2011
194 rushing yards per game...I could see 175+ in 2012. It was 156 in 2011

Last edited:
I'm a little more optimistic, I'm excited to see what some of the young guys can do(nico, coop). If this does happen though, I'm sure the fan base will place the blame squarely on Phil Parker. I hope we don't turn him into the new okeefe and actually look at the situation.

unfortunately... I agree. I am hoping for a similar development schedule as the 2005 dline that was awful early and turned it on late. I think the difference is that those guys had hodge and greenway behind them.

I think Iowa's schedule is very favorable, and 5 wins is the low...but I can't find 8...and leaning more to 6 than 7.

I'm a little more optimistic, I'm excited to see what some of the young guys can do(nico, coop). If this does happen though, I'm sure the fan base will place the blame squarely on Phil Parker. I hope we don't turn him into the new okeefe and actually look at the situation.

Which is one of the reasons I am posting this now, and unfortunately will likely have to bump it up in October.

And so the excuses begin.

Isn't it up to the coaching staff to go out and secure the talent to prevent this from happening? Were they just sleeping the last few years? Do you realize that the highest rated defensive player in the past 3 years was Anthony Ferguson at 3*?

Bernstine, Ballard, Morrow, Daniel, Sash, Binns were all part of the last legit defensive recruiting class and that was in 2007.

And so the excuses begin.

Isn't it up to the coaching staff to go out and secure the talent to prevent this from happening? Were they just sleeping the last few years? Do you realize that the highest rated defensive player in the past 3 years was Anthony Ferguson at 3*?

Bernstine, Ballard, Morrow, Daniel, Sash, Binns were all part of the last legit defensive recruiting class and that was in 2007.

Iowa has had an attrition problem. That's an issue that I hope has been rectified with some staff changes, one who became the DL coach in...2007. If it continues then that is a bigger problem.

As for the highest rate D player the last three years being Anthony Ferguson, I am pretty sure Cooper was a 4*...as were Johnson and Ekakitie

Thank you. Hawk fans have wanted O'Keefe gone for years and they are building a litany of excuses to prepare for the inevitable - namely O'Keefe leaves and the team gets worse.

Dude I never have any idea if your serious or not, it gets old to try to decipher.

As for the highest rate D player the last three years being Anthony Ferguson, I am pretty sure Cooper was a 4*...as were Johnson and Ekakitie

Might want to make sure those guys play a down before we get too far ahead of ourselves. I believe Kyle "Bonecrusher" Williams was perhaps the highest rated defensive player Kurt ever landed but he didn't even make it a week before getting run out. And now I believe he is a guest of either the State of Indiana or Illinois (can't remember where he actually went to trial).

I didn't see any excuses in this post. I saw a pretty simple statement of fact: Iowa's D is going to struggle, so temper your expectations now. Seems hard to argue with.

I think Iowa's schedule is very favorable, and 5 wins is the low...but I can't find 8...and leaning more to 6 than 7.

This is so depressing with the schedule we face. To be expecting 5-7 wins...just disgusting. I certainly hope some of the young guys emerge next fall and we find a way to win 8+.

Thank you. Hawk fans have wanted O'Keefe gone for years and they are building a litany of excuses to prepare for the inevitable - namely O'Keefe leaves and the team gets worse.

I'm not sure anyone knows what the inevitable is. Also not sure if Iowa should decline we could place this on the departure of KoK. Notwithstanding that you and I disagree on this, it isn't a fair assumption right now.

Might want to make sure those guys play a down before we get too far ahead of ourselves. I believe Kyle "Bonecrusher" Williams was perhaps the highest rated defensive player Kurt ever landed but he didn't even make it a week before getting run out. And now I believe he is a guest of either the State of Indiana or Illinois (can't remember where he actually went to trial).

LOL...not crowning them..just saying that AF was not the last highly rated prospect that Iowa signed.

Ahh...Bonecrusher...the cover of one of the early HN Mag Recruiting Issues...perhaps one of the best pics we ever had for a cover

46841_KyleWilliamsStory.JPG

My bad on the highest rated players. Ekakite was a 4* as was Jaleel Johnson from the '12 class. Law was a 3* per rivals.

Okeefe this is about the defense and how offensive its going to be in the near future. The point that I was trying to make but failed because my 2 yr old was chasing my 5 yr old around with a pair of scissors is the defense had NO changes from a coaching personnel standpoint. It kept the same old guard in place and apparently we are going to suck per Jon. In those infamous words that I can't remember who spoke them; "I blame myself" should be appropriate here.

Could you imagine a KOK coached team trying to put up some numbers to bail out the defense? Its almost unfathomable.

LOL...not crowning them..just saying that AF was not the last highly rated prospect that Iowa signed.

Ahh...Bonecrusher...the cover of one of the early HN Mag Recruiting Issues...perhaps one of the best pics we ever had for a cover

46841_KyleWilliamsStory.JPG

Was there ever an official story on why Bonecrusher only lasted like a day in Iowa City? And what in the hell was Tiller smoking? Here you've gotta guy Ferentz presumably ran immediately and Tiller is all like "Oh Bonecrusher, please come play for us" and then he gets busted for a slew of felonies within a matter of weeks.

My bad on the highest rated players. Ekakite was a 4* as was Jaleel Johnson from the '12 class. Law was a 3* per rivals.

Okeefe this is about the defense and how offensive its going to be in the near future. The point that I was trying to make but failed because my 2 yr old was chasing my 5 yr old around with a pair of scissors is the defense had NO changes from a coaching personnel standpoint. It kept the same old guard in place and apparently we are going to suck per Jon.

Could you imagine a KOK coached team trying to put up some numbers to bail out the defense? Its almost unfathomable.

The conservative offense is WHAT BAILED OUT THE D many of those years. Ferentz came from Baltimore and he tries to run the program the way they did when he was there/the way the Steelers used to run their franchise in the '90's. No turnovers, field position, milk the clock, minimize possessions, force the other teams' offense into a mistake, good o-line and running game, etc. You can't just bring Mr. Fancy Pants who got run out of Austin up here to run that.

The point that I was trying to make is the defense had NO changes from a coaching personnel standpoint. It kept the same old guard in place and apparently we are going to suck per Jon. In those infamous words that I can't remember who spoke them; "I blame myself" should be appropriate here.

I don't care of Chuck Noll were the DC...I don't think Iowa can scheme its way out of the growing pains that this group will face, in part due to attrition.

Latest posts