I just want to get this post out of the way now

On the spot post by Jon Miller. 2012 is a rebuilding year, though I doubt that Kirk Ferentz will admit to that, given (1) Kirk in his 14th season makes it more difficult to explain why they are rebuilding, and (2) It is the senior season for his son James

I hope that if Iowa is going to take their lumps in 2012, that most everyone is a returning starter for 2013. On defense, hope that only Bigach and Hyde are the only senior starters, and on offense, that JVB, James Ferentz, and Keenan Davis are the only senior starters (a scenario in which Tobin gets beat out). That way, 17 of 22 starters would be scheduled to return for 2013.

A very accurate and reasonable assessment, Jon. The release of the two deeps was a sobering reality check for anyone who assumed 8 or 9 wins just because of an easier schedule and the fact that we're Iowa.

There have been times where pointed criticism of the coaching staff has been more than warranted, with the 2010 season being the prime example. In 2011, though, it was very clear that the team didn't have the horses and, in fact, may have overachieved by winning 7 games with that particular defense (still not sure how they managed to beat Michigan). This year's defensive unit will be more of the same, and while 7 wins shouldn't be a cause for celebration in Iowa Football, it would represent a a very,very solid coaching job in 2012 (with squeezing 8 or 9 wins out of this crew equalling one of the finest coaching efforts of KF's career).

It's going to be rough this season, but with Davis aboard and RK in Lincoln, I fully expect brighter days ahead.

This many years into a program with the money invested, anything less than 7 wins with that schedule should be considered an epic failure. Why does everyone continue to always have an excuse for this staff? This staff has underachieved for 6 out of the last 7 years in the Big Ten.

How many years can this program continue to live off 2002 thru 2004 and 2010? Those are the only years that they overachieved.

This many years into a program with the money invested, anything less than 7 wins with that schedule should be considered an epic failure. Why does everyone continue to always have an excuse for this staff? This staff has underachieved for 6 out of the last 7 years in the Big Ten.

How many years can this program continue to live off 2002 thru 2004 and 2010? Those are the only years that they overachieved.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you to an extent. What I am saying is now you're gonna get ripped by some of the posters on here.

Sit back. Enjoy. I will.

I'm always curious why with all the size an talent we have on the offensive side of the ball, one of those guys doesn't move over to the DL and control a gap. I know we have at least 10 guys on the offensive side that are in the mix for OL positions. Sticking a strong 290 guys in one of the gaps who has a bad attitude works for me. So he can't rush the passer, he can still occupy people. He comes out on passing downs.

I know we have had guys try this and it's difficult, but we need some size and depth on the DL. Injuries will happen, and we are woefully thin.

The good news is we coach and play assignment football. If some of the young guys can get their assignment, there's a good chance they could develop over the season and be playing well as a unit by the latter part of the season.

I watched K-State do this from the Prince's last year to Snyder's first second year.

I always find it funny how people pull out certain years to make claims about KF's tenure at Iowa. He goes 3 years 7 or fewer wins, 3 years 8 or more wins. That is the only stat that holds up over his entire HC career at Iowa.

The question is, or you fine with 8 wins being the mark of a successful year at Iowa? I am. But I know some of you are not.

Given this schedule my personal floor for the season is an eight win season. I think Iowa will have to outscore Big Ten opponents for that to happen, but Iowa's defense made tremendous strides over the course of last season and given the youth up front and the experience in the back the defense has a chance to grow from game to game all season.

Injuries to Hyde, Miller, and Lowery (individually) could really derail the season, however. Imo a healthy back 7 and especially the secondary is going to be key for Iowa this season. Eventually Iowa will find an effective group at d-line. They will be well coached and there is a lot of raw talent to work with.
Iowa's offense will have to lead the way and I am confident this will be an above average offensive unit this season with the ability to score 30 ppg. They have to even out those numbers over the course of the season. 45 points versus NIU, UNI, and Central Michigan won't help if we score 10 versus MSU, Penn State and Nebraska.

Isn't this the case now? I don't know who on here that doesn't think less than 7 wins is a terrible year, and a epic fail. The staff doesn't want this, the fans don't want this, nobody wants this.

Here is what you aren't looking at though. Those are the absolute low water marks. Then the other years we are winning 9, 10, 11 games. Four seasons with 10+ wins, and top 10 finishes in the ranking.

Now I don't want to say we are "little old Iowa" and we can't do better. I'm saying that it is tough for ANY COLLEGE program to be a top 10 team for 10 years. Look at all the blue bloods, they all fall off, it happens to all of them.

If we were getting 7 wins, and saying it was a good year for Iowa I would be p!ssed....but its not, 7 wins causes a melt down, because it isn't a good year. 8 wins more people can live with and 9+ wins is a good year. It was the same way with Fry, and hopefully it will be the same way after Ferentz.

Last 10 years:
5 seasons of 9 wins + (good years)
4 seasons of 6 or 7 wins (low water years, and still making bowl games all of those years but 1)
1 season of 8 wins (avg. season)

If I could sign up for that decade again with 2 BCS games, and those records I probably would. This is what we had under Hayden, and what we now have under Ferentz. Not because I don't want to be top 10 every year, but because the reality it only the elite of elite (Ohio St., Texas, USC) that have soooo many built in recruiting advantages, can finish top 10 in 6, 7, or 8 years out of 10.

I always find it funny how people pull out certain years to make claims about KF's tenure at Iowa. He goes 3 years 7 or fewer wins, 3 years 8 or more wins. That is the only stat that holds up over his entire HC career at Iowa.

The question is, or you fine with 8 wins being the mark of a successful year at Iowa? I am. But I know some of you are not.

Spot on with this one. While I am not happy with 7 wins, it looks like we are more likely to get 6 or 7 wins this year than we are to get 8 or 9.

Weird things have happened before though. I recall a 2008 season having a out of shape RB, Mostly unknown MLB, and an totally green QB turning the season around midseason. Players develop, and players step up. If we could get great leadership out of JVB, get a ???? RB to produce at a high level, and a breakout DL this team could be a 8 or 9 win team. Anything can happen, and the thing I love college football is the development of kids, and watching them become big time football player right in front of our eyes. Just look at how many ??? we had coming out of 2007 and going into 2008.

Given this schedule my personal floor for the season is an eight win season. I think Iowa will have to outscore Big Ten opponents for that to happen, but Iowa's defense made tremendous strides over the course of last season and given the youth up front and the experience in the back the defense has a chance to grow from game to game all season.

Injuries to Hyde, Miller, and Lowery (individually) could really derail the season, however. Imo a healthy back 7 and especially the secondary is going to be key for Iowa this season. Eventually Iowa will find an effective group at d-line. They will be well coached and there is a lot of raw talent to work with.
Iowa's offense will have to lead the way and I am confident this will be an above average offensive unit this season with the ability to score 30 ppg. They have to even out those numbers over the course of the season. 45 points versus NIU, UNI, and Central Michigan won't help if we score 10 versus MSU, Penn State and Nebraska.

Success on D is predicated on being strong up the middle. Starts at your tackles and MLB's and works outward. We don't know that we have that.

We had serious off season attrition on a pedestrian D last season. To complicate things a bit our OL is in a complete rebuild, so if the O can't manage the ball well that will put even more pressure on our D.

An average Iowa offensive unit doesn't score 30 per game, certainly not against B10 teams, which is where we'll have to go 4-4 at minimum to obtain 8 wins. That is if we start off 4-0...which has happened what, 3 times in the KF era.

I am not saying 8 wins isn't possible, it is. But to say it is the realistic floor for this season is being ridiculously myopic.

This is hilarious because the person who is complaining about the program doesnt even have the correct years he is complaining about. 2009 is the season we went to the Orange Bowl there wise guy.

This is hilarious because the person who is complaining about the program doesnt even have the correct years he is complaining about. 2009 is the season we went to the Orange Bowl there wise guy.

Also, by his own logic, 2009 wouldn't be overachieving. It would be achieving.

Latest posts