I just want to get this post out of the way now

I would like to believe that Iowa is due to throw a big stack of crow at all the media that says that they won't win more than 5-6 games because lack of either talent or experience. There is plenty of talent on this team and I would one believe even though the D-line is in a rebuilding mode, they may come right out and prove that they are not the step-children of the league.

We can't sale this team short after 11 practices. No one knows how many games they will win or loose. No one knows who will perform better than others or may get hurt opening a door for someone else to come in and shine.

What we do know is that this team by observation has a good attitude and there are leaders on this team that won't put up with mediocre play. Good coaching staff that know that they have to get this team ready and play smart much to the reputation they have carried in the past.

In saying all that I am one that believes that this team will surprise us to the good.

After thinking about this I felt I ought to toss in…I honestly have no clue really. I’m a football fan and a life fan and I look at things through the prism of as much positivity as I can muster (some days are better than others) with a slant towards an ethereal, philosophical approach. Steeped in history, tradition and general experience. …

Meaning Iowa could actually blow, it is possible, but what do we really know?! Jon is a good fan and a knowledgeable one at that, so he may be spot on. Iowa is less experienced, that’s a fact. Though history has shown many, many high school, college & professional teams with great experience and talent have failed miserably. We have also seen it go the other way and often. This very Iowa team has done it many times and I remember clearly how many people told me in 2007 we had NO talent and we were in trouble….

The truth is Iowa has had talent, so if it is all gone that’s sad. If it just inexperienced, heck that happens everywhere all the time… The reality is I do understand we are Iowa and on the one hand I hate that self-defeating attitude though it has some merit. But not necessarily in the talent vein how many tend to think…the problem is it takes a lot to break thru that final level and it’s not just talent. Furthermore as USC and Texas among others have proved throughout the 80’s and 90’s it can all get away from you in a hurry, too! Michigan St, Minne both teams that 40 and 50 years ago were national powers, have yet to ever get back their consistently. The over-arching point being we have been fairly consistently talented, yes we do have to develop some, but we (based on the past decade) have had loads and loads of NFL draft picks’ and free agents. I say again, if that is gone, then that’s a minor tragedy!

The problem is we have lost ground with the whole “We are Iowa and we are coming at you” attitude we once had. We may be in a struggle this year that’s true, but I don’t get the we will be down this year but then good next year….I have seen Iowa fans and sports fans say that over and over and over again. The problem is it rarely happens that way. The good news is it often happens a year or 2 early…the bad news is…..it leads to the wow we will really be good again then next year and it is there that we are “just Iowa”……:(

******* really?

This team does not have more NFL talent than the 2000 team

Sanders
Clark
Galley
Keading
Cole
Clauss
Roth
Babineaux
Gallery
Steinbach
Nelson
Considine
Kampman

There are more I am sure, those just come to mind real quick.

That said, if this year's D does better than last year's D in ppg allowed and rushing yards per game allowed it will be due to the soft early sched. I still think they will be hard pressed to beat last year's totals

How many of those players did you think would end up in the NFL in 2000? There are a ton of players that will be on the field this year that will end up in the NFL. We just don't know who they are yet.

I will start a list of players who will/could.

JVB
Keenan Davis
CJF
Hamilton
Scherff
Van Sloten
Blythe
Ferentz
C. Davis
Morris
Kirksey
Lowery
Hyde
Law
Miller

This team does not have more NFL talent than the 2000 team

Sanders
Clark
Galley
Keading
Cole
Clauss
Roth
Babineaux
Gallery
Steinbach
Nelson
Considine
Kampman

There are more I am sure, those just come to mind real quick.

That said, if this year's D does better than last year's D in ppg allowed and rushing yards per game allowed it will be due to the soft early sched. I still think they will be hard pressed to beat last year's totals

The difference being that with the exception of the Dline the current starters are more experienced and or just physically bigger than those players mention were at that time.

The oline especially, is more physically developed in comparison to 2000 even if they are similarly inexperienced. Scherrf, Blyth, Ferentz, McMillan, and Vansloten is going to be a big talented and physical line.

The defensive line aside everywhere else is pretty decent and as others have said the schedule is as easy as we may ever see.

The succes of this team will hing on Vandenburg IMO.

JVB has the tools to be great. The key will be if KF goes all in and allows Davis to run an offense thats is fast paced and heavy on the shotgun which is what James does well rather than a slow drop back offense.

If KF hedges his bets and goes back to slowing the game down it might be 2007 again.

How many of those players did you think would end up in the NFL in 2000? There are a ton of players that will be on the field this year that will end up in the NFL. We just don't know who they are yet.

JVB
Keenan Davis
CJF
Hamilton
Scherff
Van Sloten
Blythe
Ferentz
C. Davis
Morris
Kirksey
Lowery
Hyde
Law
Miller

In that spirit, here is who I believe we have seen enuff from to realistically assume they will get serious consideration. Both on their own merit and what the NFL has proven to think of Iowa’s talent…

JVB…still has some to prove but he has a live arm and has played in the right system.

KDavis….also has something to prove but he has the pedigree and the measurables and I believe he’ll get a serious look.

Scherff…Id say without a doubt

Ferentz…Id also say more likely than not.

OL…as a unit history tells us there are multiple “others” that will get drafted eventually.

CJF…His size and measurables alone will get him major looks and draft status even if his numbers don’t jump off the charts.

TE…also another unit that history has taught us likely has multiple NFL type talent in the wings.

Defensive line….another unit that has proven to typically hold plenty of next level talent, but we will just assume right now its ho-hum.

Lber….Morris the verdict is still out on, but his speed will be very good and to assume he isn’t going to improve enuff to get similar looks that past Iowa Lbers have seems naïve to me at the least.

Kirksey…more of the same

Hyde…A big yes

Lowery..also still haven’t seen enuff per se, but I’ll say this. He is long, linear with good hip swivel and will time very well. There are multiple 4.55 to 4.6 corners in the NFL as we speak. That’s what a premium is placed on guys who I believe will test as well as Lowery (4.4ish) with solid size. He will most assuredly get looks.

Miller…..time will tell, but if Marcus Paschall and Miguel Merrick made teams briefly as FA’s, I’d have to believe Tanner Miller is another typical Iowa sfty.

So no real fluff or over evaluation there and doesn’t count any underclassmen that hasn’t at least garnered pretty serious playing time. That’s a really good start in my mind.

The difference being that with the exception of the Dline the current starters are more experienced and or just physically bigger than those players mention were at that time.

The oline especially, is more physically developed in comparison to 2000 even if they are similarly inexperienced. Scherrf, Blyth, Ferentz, McMillan, and Vansloten is going to be a big talented and physical line.

The defensive line aside everywhere else is pretty decent and as others have said the schedule is as easy as we may ever see.

The succes of this team will hing on Vandenburg IMO.

JVB has the tools to be great. The key will be if KF goes all in and allows Davis to run an offense thats is fast paced and heavy on the shotgun which is what James does well rather than a slow drop back offense.

If KF hedges his bets and goes back to slowing the game down it might be 2007 again.

I’m extremely confident KF will do what he thinks gives us the best chance to win based on input from his staff. He has proven that much to me. Just my opinion....but I will say this, if we can’t run the ball like Iowa runs the ball it won't serve us well long run. Watched to many spread teams die at the 15 yard line in...Texas in particular went back to more "power" running.

We will need both to win!

JVB
Keenan Davis
CJF
Hamilton
Scherff
Van Sloten
Blythe
Ferentz
C. Davis
Morris
Kirksey
Lowery
Hyde
Law
Miller

This is a RADICALLY optimistic list. As of right now, there is only one guy who would seem a lock, the rest are guys that haven't really played at all or haven't come close to playing at the level of a draft pick, or who have measurable issues.

This is a RADICALLY optimistic list. As of right now, there is only one guy who would seem a lock, the rest are guys that haven't really played at all or haven't come close to playing at the level of a draft pick, or who have measurable issues.

That list is not radical at all and is probably the safest picks for who has a chance to go to the NFL.

No it isn't. Unfortunately it will take a few years to prove that I am right.

I’m extremely confident KF will do what he thinks gives us the best chance to win based on input from his staff. He has proven that much to me. Just my opinion....but I will say this, if we can’t run the ball like Iowa runs the ball it won't serve us well long run. Watched to many spread teams die at the 15 yard line in...Texas in particular went back to more "power" running.

We will need both to win!

You have to adapt your system based on what your QB does best IMO.

Hearing Davis comments about taking this approach leads me to believe it has been discussed or else he wouldn't be saying it to the media.

Vandenburg just looks allot better out of the shotgun playing fast and it makes sense because thats the way he learned to play in highschool.

I think Vandenburgs play takes a big step up this year under Davis.

You have to adapt your system based on what your QB does best IMO.

Hearing Davis comments about taking this approach leads me to believe it has been discussed or else he wouldn't be saying it to the media.

Vandenburg just looks allot better out of the shotgun playing fast and it makes sense because thats the way he learned to play in highschool.

I think Vandenburgs play takes a big step up this year under Davis.

I don't disagree, but I'm of the opinion we adjusted more than many really noticed and furthermore, they looked horrendous in the PSU game. Quarter to quarter/game to game...things change or don't work etc..best to be versatile and have a solid ground game to go back on.

Latest posts