Howe: Big Dance a Watershed Moment for Hawkeye Program

Again, if Fran would have added grad transfers that last season, guys would have left the program. Same with other years. If he were to add them this year, it would be because guys were leaving. Otherwise, there are no open scholarships.

The goal is to put the best team on the floor each year. The equation changes every year. There are moving pieces. There isn't just one formula. Who can you bring in? Who will you lose because of it? Were Cook and Moss going to stay in the draft last season? Will Cook leave this year?

The misses in 2014 and '15 recruiting classes are the main reason things got out of whack in terms of balanced classes. Seven of the nine players (Dickerson, Ellingson, Hutton, Fleming, Wagner, Jones, Williams) signed in those classes didn't finish here. Uhl is the only one to finish so far. Moss would be the other if he comes back.
As we pointed about we actually did have a scholarship to play with this year. So it would have been a very opportune time to find a grad transfer.

Anyway I do think some attrition is healthy in college b-ball, obviously probably not as much as we had, and no question those classes set us back.

I’ll leave it at this. I just think in that Jok year a grad transfer would have made more sense than bringing in a 5th player in that class (we added a late signee who hasn’t panned out). Instead you could have had a grad transfer that may have got us to the dance that year and recruited another wing/ guard in the Garza class. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but that might have helped us better balance the classes.

I’m sorry PC, we see many things in a similar way but I simply just don’t agree with this.

The way we will have a special season is when instate recruiting is good, we hit on one or two under the radar guys, and we have a good mix of verteran and younger players.

If you think it's important to have more seniors to be good, how do you think having even more seniors than that is the best way to have a really good team?

As we pointed about we actually did have a scholarship to play with this year. So it would have been a very opportune time to find a grad transfer.

Anyway I do think some attrition is healthy in college b-ball, obviously probably not as much as we had, and no question those classes set us back.

I’ll leave it at this. I just think in that Jok year a grad transfer would have made more sense than bringing in a 5th player in that class (we added a late signee who hasn’t panned out). Instead you could have had a grad transfer that may have got us to the dance that year and recruited another wing/ guard in the Garza class. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but that might have helped us better balance the classes.

It's possible they were looking around and nothing ever developed enough for the fans to even know about. I'm guessing that's not the case but it us possible. I think Fran is really big on team chemistry and bringing in a grad transfer could mess with that.

IF IOWA WOULD HAVE ADDED A GRAD TRANSFER AFTER LAST YEAR, IT WOULD HAVE LOST PLAYERS THAT ARE ON THE ROSTER AND IN THE ROTATION RIGHT NOW!!!!!

IF IOWA WOULD HAVE ADDED A GRAD TRANSFER AFTER LAST YEAR, IT WOULD HAVE LOST PLAYERS THAT ARE ON THE ROSTER AND IN THE ROTATION RIGHT NOW!!!!!
But they would have put the best team they could on the floor this year by adding an upgrade? That was something you kept mentioning throughout this thread, putting the best team you can on the floor.

But they would have put the best team they could on the floor this year by adding an upgrade? That was something you kept mentioning throughout this thread, putting the best team you can on the floor.

I'm sorry, Nike. I can't anymore. I tried to be as patient as I could. I'm moving on.

Translation:
The status quo is mediocre.
A new coach could improve the status quo.
A new coach could be worse than the status quo.
Therefore, accept the status quo of mediocrity.

I think you missed part of my intent. History shows that the future is more likely to be worse than the status quo when it comes to replacing coaches. It is far from an exact science.

I am willing to take a chance on better, rather than stay mired in mediocrity forever - out of fear of losing mediocrity.

Dailey I think is the most likely to go. I feel bad because I do think he worked his tail off this offseason, but I don’t think this season has gone the way he hoped it would on a personal level.

Pemsl as an Iowa kid I think wants to be a hawk, and I think he knows Fran will give him minutes so he will probably be back. If he didn’t go last year probably unlikely now.

Moss I simply have no idea, the kid seems hard to read. I’d prefer to keep him to be quite honest, the other two wouldn’t bother me either way.

I guess what I don't understand about Dailey is his being distraught when we still have tournament games to play?

I imagine they're just capturing the moment - ya know NCAA tournament and all.
giphy.gif

Then why even have a sports program? Shut the doors if you're afraid to even try.

Don't be dramatic. There are parallels to consider. We fire ineffective coaches and try for better. Each and every coaching hire in my period of fandom has been the "hot commodity" type. It's not a lack of trying or a fear of failure.

The hard debates are over chasing something that we have barely ever had by running out "decent" coaches in the process.

Fran needs a strong season next year for me to once again consider him a decent coach. If he fails hard again I would bet he is out on his bum.

Latest posts