How much longer does Fran get?

I bet you were pretty pissed when Lute had a rebuilding year the fourth year of his tenure. Probably should have fired him then, right?

Lute showed in his first three years the excellence he was capable of. Fans understood. More and more I'm convinced we have as a coach Lick-Part Deux. Main difference is the red face.

I should have been more clear in my post. My point is that some people on this board seem fine with Fran but are critical of Ferentz, yet they have virtually the same winning percentage over an extended period of time.

I expect the heat to turn up after next year. Joc has carried this team and he won't be around next year. So next year there is the possibility that this team could even be worse. I certainly hope not but it could happen. I think we are two years away before this team shows some promise or the heat really comes down on Fran.

I get it, kind of...teams go thru ups and downs, but Fran needs guards that can drive and dish. He's lacked in that area. A good guard makes the rest of the team better imo. Until we find one, and have him commit, next year could be more of the same. I just don't see a player right now stepping into that role. Jbo perhaps, but that's a stretch. We need an ice in the veins, lock down defender that can create.....Hopefully Fran get one in here, if not, who knows what's going to happen.

I expect the heat to turn up after next year. Joc has carried this team and he won't be around next year. So next year there is the possibility that this team could even be worse. I certainly hope not but it could happen. I think we are two years away before this team shows some promise or the heat really comes down on Fran.

I don't see how we're better next year than we are this year. I don't know who is going to score for us

How much longer for Izzo? Lost 3 straight. Lost on a neutral court to Penn State? Lost at home to Purdue (who Iowa beat at home). Has a 12-9 (4-4 B1G) record which is only 1 game better than Iowa? How can the team be so down after Izzo has been there for 22 years? :)

How much longer for Izzo? Lost 3 straight. Lost on a neutral court to Penn State? Lost at home to Purdue (who Iowa beat at home). Has a 12-9 (4-4 B1G) record which is only 1 game better than Iowa? How can the team be so down after Izzo has been there for 22 years? :)

Except Izzo has won a national title, taken MSU to however many Final Fours, etc. etc. etc. I'm not a "Fire Fran" guy so don't get me wrong, but not really a valid comparison between Fran and Izzo. Just sayin'. ;)

Michigan State will make the tournament this year

Except Izzo has won a national title, taken MSU to however many Final Fours, etc. etc. etc. I'm not a "Fire Fran" guy so don't get me wrong, but not really a valid comparison between Fran and Izzo. Just sayin'. ;)

My only point was year 22. For folks that are mentioning that this shouldn't be happening in year 7 (or year 18 for Kirk), its happening in year 22 for one of the best coaches in the country. Having to play young players, trying to overcome injuries, losing close games can happen any year. It's how you recover (and Izzo will) that determines your fate.

Now, will Fran be able to build on the positives from this year and recruit some players to help Iowa going forward?

Michigan State will make the tournament this year

No where in my post did I say they wouldn't. But, their record is 12-9 (one game better than Iowa). They have lost 3 straight. Again, I see them adjusting and winning games down the stretch like they always do. But, they have struggled with young players and injuries. It happens.

Anyone know how many road games Duke has won this year?

No where in my post did I say they wouldn't. But, their record is 12-9 (one game better than Iowa). They have lost 3 straight. Again, I see them adjusting and winning games down the stretch like they always do. But, they have struggled with young players and injuries. It happens.

They've also played the 8th toughest schedule in the country. Duke is 0-3 this season on the road and 4-1 on a neutral court

They are struggling because they have PG issues, Winston has been struggling in B1G play.

They've also played the 8th toughest schedule in the country. Duke is 0-3 this season on the road and 4-1 on a neutral court

Did Michigan State lose to Penn State on a neutral court because of their tough schedule? Or, at home to Northeastern?

Comparing their W/L with ours doesn't make sense. That's all I was saying

You missed the point if you think that's the point I was making (which I spelled out). It's year 22 for Izzo and they are struggling with young players, injuries, and late game situations. There are some that say those things shouldn't be happening in year 7 with our coach. My point was it happens to a lot of coaches/teams no matter how long they have been coaching.

If you don't like that example, how about Lon Krueger at Oklahoma? It's year 6. How can they be so bad (8-11)? They were in the Final Four last year!

You missed the point if you think that's the point I was making (which I spelled out). It's year 22 for Izzo and they are struggling with young players, injuries, and late game situations. There are some that say those things shouldn't be happening in year 7 with our coach. My point was it happens to a lot of coaches/teams no matter how long they have been coaching.

If you don't like that example, how about Lon Krueger at Oklahoma? It's year 6. How can they be so bad (8-11)? They were in the Final Four last year!

They've had significant injuries and will still make the tournament. Not sure what's going on with Oklahoma but I bet their fans are pissed

My only point was year 22. For folks that are mentioning that this shouldn't be happening in year 7 (or year 18 for Kirk), its happening in year 22 for one of the best coaches in the country. Having to play young players, trying to overcome injuries, losing close games can happen any year. It's how you recover (and Izzo will) that determines your fate.

Now, will Fran be able to build on the positives from this year and recruit some players to help Iowa going forward?

Well, I certainly expect rebuilding years with this program from time to time, so I'm not too shocked. This year is frankly a little worse than I expected so far but it isn't over yet, either.. Before the season, I was thinking somewhere around 16-18 wins and possible NIT, which they could still do if they finish strong.

And I agree - Izzo seems to ALWAYS get his teams playing their best late in the season. Hallmark of a good coach.

We'll see how Fran does with this group. It's been a mixed bag with him.. Last year and two years before that, they folded in Feb/March. Although in 2014-15, the team got hot late (except for the loss to PSU in the BTT). Then the run to the NIT finals a few years back.

Last edited:
Well, I certainly expect rebuilding years with this program from time to time, so I'm not too shocked. This year is frankly a little worse than I expected so far but it isn't over yet, either.. Before the season, I was thinking somewhere around 16-18 wins and possible NIT, which they could still do if they finish strong.

And I agree - Izzo seems to ALWAYS get his teams playing their best late in the season. Hallmark of a good coach.

We'll see how Fran does with this group. It's been a mixed bag with him.. Last year and two years before that, they folded in Feb/March. Although in 2014-15, the team got hot late (except for the loss to PSU in the BTT).

Appreciate the response. With Iowa losing 4 starters and now starting 4 freshmen, I really didn't know what to expect. I did expect them to struggle on the road (check), and compete at home most of the time(check). With young players, you see the inconsistency and you see them struggle with defensive concepts that they are learning at the collegiate level.

I also think the coaches are trying what they can (even playing an hurt player and a sick player) to get wins. It's going to be a struggle this year, but hopefully, they make strides with these players and new ones come in that can point the ship in the right direction.

Latest posts