How much longer does Fran get?

Appreciate the response. With Iowa losing 4 starters and now starting 4 freshmen, I really didn't know what to expect. I did expect them to struggle on the road (check), and compete at home most of the time(check). With young players, you see the inconsistency and you see them struggle with defensive concepts that they are learning at the collegiate level.

I also think the coaches are trying what they can (even playing an hurt player and a sick player) to get wins. It's going to be a struggle this year, but hopefully, they make strides with these players and new ones come in that can point the ship in the right direction.

Agree totally and can't really add to that.

I never bought into what some people were expecting about Iowa getting back to the dance again this year.. They just lost too much from last year. If people thought they wouldn't miss a beat, then that's on them IMO. Sure, there is always the hope that the team would be a pleasant surprise, but I sure wasn't banking on it.

What I'm looking for is progress between now and end of the year, and especially into next season.

Agree totally and can't really add to that.

I never bought into what some people were expecting about Iowa getting back to the dance again this year.. They just lost too much from last year. If people thought they wouldn't miss a beat, then that's on them IMO. Sure, there is always the hope that the team would be a pleasant surprise, but I sure wasn't banking on it.

What I'm looking for is progress between now and end of the year, and especially into next season.

I was optimistic that they'd be on the bubble, but the wrong side of it. That was lofty goals, but I expected more out of some of our returning players and did not expect much out of our freshman. It's not been the case. I still have 0 doubts about Fran being the right guy for this program.

I was optimistic that they'd be on the bubble, but the wrong side of it. That was lofty goals, but I expected more out of some of our returning players and did not expect much out of our freshman. It's not been the case. I still have 0 doubts about Fran being the right guy for this program.
I guess the only concern I have is the pipeline of guards. We are bringing in some good post guys, but we are in desperate need of guards. You can't win consistently without quality guards. After Jok leaves, I'm not sure we have 1. Moss has potential. Jordan can be a decent role player, but we are very thin, and that is very concerning.

The Fran apologists have no limits...

The Fran apologist watched him take a program that was THE WORST in all the power 5 to 3 straight NCAA tourneys the last 3 seasons. He gets a pass - Alford went to 3 NCAA's in 8 years, never 3 in a row - Tom Davis NEVER went to 4 in row.

The Fran apologist watched him take a program that was THE WORST in all the power 5 to 3 straight NCAA tourneys the last 3 seasons. He gets a pass - Alford went to 3 NCAA's in 8 years, never 3 in a row - Tom Davis NEVER went to 4 in row.
I was referring to comparing him to Izzo.

I was referring to comparing him to Izzo.

I'd never ... I am a self labeled Fran apologist - mostly because he's won at Iowa at a high clip and has some exciting pieces on the roster and coming in. If the "All Mighty Tom Davis" couldn't get Iowa to the Dance 4 years in a row I'm not gonna act appalled at the fact Fran didn't either.

No where in my post did I say they wouldn't. But, their record is 12-9 (one game better than Iowa). They have lost 3 straight. Again, I see them adjusting and winning games down the stretch like they always do. But, they have struggled with young players and injuries. It happens.

Anyone know how many road games Duke has won this year?

I really hope they can turn it around but you mentioned that they adjust and win games. That's the track record of their coach. What's our track record towards the end of the season? We have one you know. Don't get me wrong as I would take Fran over Lickliter any day of the week. It does APPEAR that his recruiting has been better this season and next but people cannot let themselves get caught into that trap of a breakout season is just the next recruiting class away. Next thing you know is that a dozen years has passed and your finishing tied for fourth place with four other teams every year.

The idea for most fans is to be relevant and be at a level where you can legitimately compete for a conference title once every few years. Fourth in a conference is participation trophy territory. I am still behind Fran at this point. If we fall on our faces next year I personally will expect a significant bounce back the year after that or I think it's time for a new coach at that point.

I'd never ... I am a self labeled Fran apologist - mostly because he's won at Iowa at a high clip and has some exciting pieces on the roster and coming in. If the "All Mighty Tom Davis" couldn't get Iowa to the Dance 4 years in a row I'm not gonna act appalled at the fact Fran didn't either.

Mr. Davis had the very great benefit of playing Raveling's recruits. I could have dominated the Big Ten and the NCAA for years with Raveling landing the players and Mr. Davis coaching them in his up-tempo style. Unfortunately, as we saw late in his career, Mr. Davis couldn't recruit a mouse out of its hole, much less an athletic player to come play Iowa hoops.

I really hope they can turn it around but you mentioned that they adjust and win games. That's the track record of their coach. What's our track record towards the end of the season? We have one you know. Don't get me wrong as I would take Fran over Lickliter any day of the week. It does APPEAR that his recruiting has been better this season and next but people cannot let themselves get caught into that trap of a breakout season is just the next recruiting class away. Next thing you know is that a dozen years has passed and your finishing tied for fourth place with four other teams every year.

The idea for most fans is to be relevant and be at a level where you can legitimately compete for a conference title once every few years. Fourth in a conference is participation trophy territory. I am still behind Fran at this point. If we fall on our faces next year I personally will expect a significant bounce back the year after that or I think it's time for a new coach at that point.

Good points. Did you feel that Iowa making 3 straight tourneys or being ranked in the Top 10 last year was being relevant? It didn't work out so well in the end, but it was a step farther than the previous 2 regimes.

I agree that Fran has the rest of this year and a couple more with this young squad, but he needs to show improvement as a coach as well as players getting better for this team to take a step in the right direction. It would be nice to play better in the conference tourney and get to the 2nd weekend of the NCAAs as well.

Since the NCAA tournament was created in 1939 - Iowa has gone to 4 straight Dances 1 time. ....seriously...1 time. But sure, let's go ahead and get those pitchforks sharpened to try and run out the 1 guy who's been able to turn it around since Tom Davis routinely went to 3 in a row.

Good points. Did you feel that Iowa making 3 straight tourneys or being ranked in the Top 10 last year was being relevant? It didn't work out so well in the end, but it was a step farther than the previous 2 regimes.

I agree that Fran has the rest of this year and a couple more with this young squad, but he needs to show improvement as a coach as well as players getting better for this team to take a step in the right direction. It would be nice to play better in the conference tourney and get to the 2nd weekend of the NCAAs as well.

Agreed, but to play devils advocate, the team almost played their way out of the tournament 3 years ago (I give the team a pass considering what Fran was dealing with). Then last year pissed away a Golden opportunity to actually win the B1G. Losing 6 of their last 8 B1G games last year (including getting bounced by jNW in B1G tourney) was inexcusable as well.

Agreed, but to play devils advocate, the team almost played their way out of the tournament 3 years ago (I give the team a pass considering what Fran was dealing with). Then last year pissed away a Golden opportunity to actually win the B1G. Losing 6 of their last 8 B1G games last year (including getting bounced by jNW in B1G tourney) was inexcusable as well.

No doubt. Fran has to figure out how to get the team peaking towards the end (Izzo is a master at this). I think he has struggled with this throughout much of his Iowa tenure. That may cost him in the end if he can't turn that around.

No doubt. Fran has to figure out how to get the team peaking towards the end (Izzo is a master at this). I think he has struggled with this throughout much of his Iowa tenure. That may cost him in the end if he can't turn that around.

I think what hurt us last year is our best players were guys who didn't really have the ball in their hands. I.E. late in the game we would want Jok or Uthoff to take the shot, and they couldn't get open cause other teams knew this as well. Mike would go throw up some bad shot and miss. Thank God his airball in the NCAA was caught and put back by Woody.

I think what hurt us last year is our best players were guys who didn't really have the ball in their hands. I.E. late in the game we would want Jok or Uthoff to take the shot, and they couldn't get open cause other teams knew this as well. Mike would go throw up some bad shot and miss. Thank God his airball in the NCAA was caught and put back by Woody.

Totally agree. Fran has struggled to get playmakers who can initiate the play, draw the defense, and make a play (shot or pass), especially late in the game. The current team doesn't have much of that either besides Jok, and he is not healthy at this point.

They need to win games in the 1st 38 minutes or at least have the lead so they can get fouled. Kind of like the football team that needs the lead so they can depend on their running game late instead of having to pass to catch up. Let's hope some of the players (current or future) can develop into these type of players (at this point, I am not sure it looks good).

Latest posts