How much longer does Fran get?

The Fran apologist watched him take a program that was THE WORST in all the power 5 to 3 straight NCAA tourneys the last 3 seasons. He gets a pass - Alford went to 3 NCAA's in 8 years, never 3 in a row - Tom Davis NEVER went to 4 in row.
In all fairness to Mr. Davis, they have a larger field dancing now. Fran was in the play in game that didn't exist back then.

In all fairness to Mr. Davis, they have a larger field dancing now. Fran was in the play in game that didn't exist back then.

Ok, in fairness then - the years he missed they were 12-16, 11-16 and the other years he made the NIT. So, it's not like his floor was any different than Fran's is.

Since the NCAA tournament was created in 1939 - Iowa has gone to 4 straight Dances 1 time. ....seriously...1 time. But sure, let's go ahead and get those pitchforks sharpened to try and run out the 1 guy who's been able to turn it around since Tom Davis routinely went to 3 in a row.

I'm not one of those pitchfork guys but I am expecting improvement within the next two seasons. If the recruiting truly is improving and we are not stuck in a rut then it would be natural for us to make some good strides two years from now. Our Freshmen will be Juniors and our incoming recruits will be sophomores.

Since our team is so young this year it would not be surprising if we see them running on fumes the last part of the season. Not so much physically but more by the way of mental fatigue as it definitely different than playing in high school. So I won't be shocked if the rest of the season is a real struggle.

Obviously being a Bears and Cubs fan for over fifty years shows I am a very patient and loyal fan through the worst of times.

I'm not one of those pitchfork guys but I am expecting improvement within the next two seasons. If the recruiting truly is improving and we are not stuck in a rut then it would be natural for us to make some good strides two years from now. Our Freshmen will be Juniors and our incoming recruits will be sophomores.

Since our team is so young this year it would not be surprising if we see them running on fumes the last part of the season. Not so much physically but more on by the way of mental fatigue as it definitely different than playing in high school. So I won't be shocked if the rest of the season is a real struggle.

1000 % - if we are having a similar type of season next year I am going to be getting an itchy trigger finger too - If we miss the tourney in 17 and 18 - then miss in 19... I'll be calling for a change right along with the people that can't seem to wait for that happen

Ok, in fairness then - the years he missed they were 12-16, 11-16 and the other years he made the NIT. So, it's not like his floor was any different than Fran's is.
I would have to look but I am pretty sure there was a time or two that Iowa was on the bubble and just missed the tourney. I remember the analysts felt they were snubbed.

I was referring to comparing him to Izzo.

How bad of reading comprehension does one have to have to think he was comparing the two coaches in that post? The fact that it can happen to a coach as good as Izzo (and Caliper and Coach K) make it even more acceptable that it happens to other coaches.

How bad of reading comprehension does one have to have to think he was comparing the two coaches in that post? The fact that it can happen to a coach as good as Izzo (and Caliper and Coach K) make it even more acceptable that it happens to other coaches.
I guess I was right about you in that other thread. lmfao

HelmetCartman.jpg~c200

Fran still has a pass for me. I really would like to see the dance next year, but if there's noticeable overall growth and development, and they are competitive in top games against good competition , I will still be on the positive side with Fran.

PG will be a big factor in taking the next step, even if JBo improves, we still need some legit depth and recruiting there.

If we are not dancing in '19....seat will warm quite a bit. If no tourney by '20....well...yeah...smoking hot seat. He gets 2 more years minimum...

Yeah, you're the one who doesn't see an obvious comparison being made lol.

There is a comparison being made. It just has nothing to do with their career resumes. The fact that you don't understand the difference proves my point. Bad reading compression.

I would have to look but I am pretty sure there was a time or two that Iowa was on the bubble and just missed the tourney. I remember the analysts felt they were snubbed.

That might've been 1995. They were pretty close - they might have been a play-in team that year if it had been a 68 team field.

The other NIT year was 1998.. I think our RPI was pretty weak that year, like 70 or so IIRC due to a pathetic non-con. May have been NIT that year either way.

One other thing Mr. Davis didn't have, except for his last two years, was the Big Ten Tournament, although I don't think it would've made any difference with his teams except maybe for his 1995 team that just missed the dance.. If they could've won a game or two to get in.

I know Alford benefited from this quite a bit. I'd say 2 of his 3 NCAA teams at Iowa wouldn't have happened if not for the BTT. 2001 and 2005 come to mind. I think that 2001 team was likely out if not for that 4 games in 4 days run. They might not have needed to win all 4 to get in, but if it was regular season only, they might have been in trouble on selection sunday. The 2005 team as well - they were 7-9 in the Big Ten but made the BTT semis and snuck in as a 10 seed. His 2006 team was the only one that was a lock.

Lute showed in his first three years the excellence he was capable of. Fans understood. More and more I'm convinced we have as a coach Lick-Part Deux. Main difference is the red face.

And you don't recognize the steady upward advances that McCaffery has made while here? Calling Fran Lick-Part Deux is just stupid or willfully short-sighted.

It is hilarious how all the haters are coming out of the woodwork to bash McCaffery and act like he has been a total failure (like Groce), when in fact, he drug us out of the worst pit in the history of the program. And if you think you guys are in the majority, and Iowa fans in general want McCaffery out, you are just delusional. But bitch away. It seems as though many of you were just waiting for the opportunity being the fickle fans that you are. For myself and an large segment of the fanbase, we knew this was going to be a tough year and had realistic expectations before the season began. I am still pumped about beating our rivals to the West, which was certainly not expected. I savored smacking UNI around. And I loved the way our young guys took on an experienced and highly ranked Purdue team and prevailed. I would love to win every game, but I recognize that we are not Kentucky and our freshmen are not one and done, but are learning on the job and I expect will continue to improve. You want to give up on these guys and the coaching staff, fine. But don't make the mistake that Hawkeye Nation is with you, because we're not.

Last edited:
And you don't recognize the steady upward advances that McCaffery has made while here? Calling Fran Lick-Part Deux is just stupid or willfully short-sighted.

Compared to Lute? Not even close. Fran to Lick? Not even close.

Lute got blown out his first year a number of times. By this point it never happened. Fran shows a propensity for blow outs.

Fran deserves the benefit of the doubt. His rise is a bit skewed by some weak/favorable scheduling. It was really built up with 1 recruiting class that had a nice addition. There is no such recruiting class since and on the horizon. Think about it. He had JOK and Uthoff on the court at the same time with a highly recruited plus 7 footer and never made the Sweet 16. So now he's going to "coach" players up when he didn't before. He finished tied for 3rd with a host of teams.

People on both sides are easy to understand. I'm not expecting Fran to ever reach Lute. It is possible Iowa could finish last in the Big this year or close to it.

It is hilarious how all the haters are coming out of the woodwork to bash McCaffery and act like he has been a total failure (like Groce), when in fact, he drug us out of the worst pit in the history of the program. And if you think you guys are in the majority, and Iowa fans in general want McCaffery out, you are just delusional. But bitch away. It seems as though many of you were just waiting for the opportunity being the fickle fans that you are. For myself and an large segment of the fanbase, we knew this was going to be a tough year and had realistic expectations before the season began. I am still pumped about beating our rivals to the West, which was certainly not expected. I savored smacking UNI around. And I loved the way our young guys took on an experienced and highly ranked Purdue team and prevailed. I would love to win every game, but I recognize that we are not Kentucky and our freshmen are not one and done, but are learning on the job and I expect will continue to improve. You want to give up on these guys and the coaching staff, fine. But don't make the mistake that Hawkeye Nation is with you, because we're not.
OMG, nobody's calling Fran a total failure. Geez

Compared to Lute? Not even close. Fran to Lick? Not even close.

Lute got blown out his first year a number of times. By this point it never happened. Fran shows a propensity for blow outs.

Fran deserves the benefit of the doubt. His rise is a bit skewed by some weak/favorable scheduling. It was really built up with 1 recruiting class that had a nice addition. There is no such recruiting class since and on the horizon. Think about it. He had JOK and Uthoff on the court at the same time with a highly recruited plus 7 footer and never made the Sweet 16. So now he's going to "coach" players up when he didn't before. He finished tied for 3rd with a host of teams.

People on both sides are easy to understand. I'm not expecting Fran to ever reach Lute. It is possible Iowa could finish last in the Big this year or close to it.

Lute's 7th year at Iowa 1980-81, they finished 21-7 overall (13-5 in Big Ten for 2nd place)

Iowa lost 90-68 @ Drake who was 18-11 (10-6 in MVC for 4th place)
Iowa lost 60-48 at home to Minnesota who was 19-11 (9-9 in Big Ten for 5th place)
Iowa lost 79-66 @ Illinois who was 21-8 (12-6 in Big Ten for 3rd place)

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa/1981-schedule.html

Latest posts