How much longer does Fran get?

Just when you thought the program was headed in the right direction the team gets totally blown out by Northwestern -- North-friggin-western. That should NEVER happen.

How many more stumbles like this does Barta absorb before pulling the trigger?

Haven't been on this in awhile, but all of these posts about firing Fran are insane. The team is young and recruits keeps getting better and better. Fran also arguably has the one of the best staffs in all of college basketball. No one thought this team would compete at the beginning, so the fact that Fran has been able to grow this team is amazing. Also see a potential Alford situation if we do fire him. Overall, this is Iowa sports, I am only 20 so I can only hear of stories of our great past in both basketball and football. However times change and we aren't exactly the most exciting place for players to play despite how well we can develop them and how great our fan base is. Fran is the Man.

Haven't been on this in awhile, but all of these posts about firing Fran are insane. The team is young and recruits keeps getting better and better. Fran also arguably has the one of the best staffs in all of college basketball. No one thought this team would compete at the beginning, so the fact that Fran has been able to grow this team is amazing. Also see a potential Alford situation if we do fire him. Overall, this is Iowa sports, I am only 20 so I can only hear of stories of our great past in both basketball and football. However times change and we aren't exactly the most exciting place for players to play despite how well we can develop them and how great our fan base is. Fran is the Man.

Hahaha

Well I could have said that Iowa would have to be "unlucky" to finish 9th or worse. That is easy to do, that is just hedging your bets.
It would be hedging if I made that comment with a bet in mind. I wasnt. I made that comment based on the conversation I was having with Hawk56 at the time. You/PC and the other's decided to jump all over it.

You claimed Jordan would be horrible and McCloud was the best PG in the PTL, excuse me if we don't hold you out as all knowing at this point.
I know what I claimed. Mcloud was the best PG in the PTL. Jordan still isn't a good BIG PG but I have admitted that he is better than I thought he would be. He still can't beat anyone off the dribble and he still can't defend. I'm not throwing the towel in on Mcloud either. We'll have to wait and see how he progresses. He has been uninspiring at this point in the season.
And I never claimed to be all knowing. I just know that I know more than you do about basketball.

I know what I claimed. Mcloud was the best PG in the PTL. Jordan still isn't a good BIG PG but I have admitted that he is better than I thought he would be. He still can't beat anyone off the dribble and he still can't defend. I'm not throwing the towel in on Mcloud either. We'll have to wait and see how he progresses. He has been uninspiring at this point in the season.
And I never claimed to be all knowing. I just know that I know more than you do about basketball.

Unless you are all knowing, you don't know if you know more about basketball than me. Don't take my trolling of 56 as 100% gospil. What you gotta understand is I'm gonna troll the shit out of cyclone fans who come over here that pretend they are Hawk fans to run a troll. He might fool you, but he doesn't fool me.

As far as Jordan goes, he is clearly better than I thought he was going to be. As you have stated, you feel the same. Maybe next time just don't throw out negative absolutes before a kid plays a game in a Hawkeye uniform. I mean big deal if you are right, it is just so negative to bash a kid and not give them a chance when all they are doing to coming in to try to give it their all in being a Hawk. I know you don't think Garza will be good, but give him a shot is all I'm saying.

Unless you are all knowing, you don't know if you know more about basketball than me. Don't take my trolling of 56 as 100% gospil. What you gotta understand is I'm gonna troll the shit out of cyclone fans who come over here that pretend they are Hawk fans to run a troll. He might fool you, but he doesn't fool me.

As far as Jordan goes, he is clearly better than I thought he was going to be. As you have stated, you feel the same. Maybe next time just don't throw out negative absolutes before a kid plays a game in a Hawkeye uniform. I mean big deal if you are right, it is just so negative to bash a kid and not give them a chance when all they are doing to coming in to try to give it their all in being a Hawk. I know you don't think Garza will be good, but give him a shot is all I'm saying.
Jordan's deficiencies at PG are still there, regardless of his performing better than you or I anticipated. His mental toughness and basketball IQ have made the difference here. Those things are very difficult to anticipate. So I won't lose any sleep beating myself up over it.

I think it's kinda stupid that people pull the "I was right" card on predictions. The only way you can ever be wrong is to say there is no way something will happen or no way something won't happen.

Just because they didn't make the tournament doesn't mean there was no way they could have made it. Just because Williams and Uhl have been terrible this year doesn't mean there was no way they could have had a couple good games early, built some confidence, and had decent seasons. That said, I would have guessed there was no way Williams (or Uhl for that matter) could have ever looked as bad as they have.

I think it's kinda stupid that people pull the "I was right" card on predictions. The only way you can ever be wrong is to say there is no way something will happen or no way something won't happen.

Just because they didn't make the tournament doesn't mean there was no way they could have made it. Just because Williams and Uhl have been terrible this year doesn't mean there was no way they could have had a couple good games early, built some confidence, and had decent seasons. That said, I would have guessed there was no way Williams (or Uhl for that matter) could have ever looked as bad as they have.

I said we wouldn't make the tournament and we didn't but I wasn't right. Haha

We don't have a quality backup PG to Jordan at all. It is hurting the team for sure.

I'm surprised you're so down on CW Dean. I think he should be the starter moving forward, Bohannon is just killing us defensively and CW has a much higher ceiling

I'm surprised you're so down on CW Dean. I think he should be the starter moving forward, Bohannon is just killing us defensively and CW has a much higher ceiling

You think Williams has played well this year? Why do you think the guy with the lower PER is better? You have told me all year long, only the PER matters!!!!!!

Argument to stay or go?
If I'm making the call I have him on a 2 year deal at this point. If he can't win in the conference and the post season by the time this Freshman class are Juniors then it's time to part ways and bring someone in that might be able to make those guys great their senior year.

There's science of decay of Hawkeyes basketball but I have a feelings the Hawks would be fighting to survive by BTT or next year.
giphy.gif

He 's on verge of discovering a missing link to DNA that would definitely put Iowa up on the top of tier and we'll be going Final Four every year for next 80 yrs!
giphy.gif

Just when you thought the program was headed in the right direction the team gets totally blown out by Northwestern -- North-friggin-western. That should NEVER happen.

How many more stumbles like this does Barta absorb before pulling the trigger?
I will admit that I didn't read the entire thread .. but OMG .. what a stupid question and thread!! Fran brought us back to relavence. Has he made mistakes? Absolutely, but it's better than where we were 8 years ago. Fran's mistake is not having more consistent recruiting. But this is a good team and they'll be better over the next few years. I'll take what we get this year and the next few years.

GO HAWKS!!

If I'm making the call I have him on a 2 year deal at this point. If he can't win in the conference and the post season by the time this Freshman class are Juniors then it's time to part ways and bring someone in that might be able to make those guys great their senior year.

I don't think anything you said was unreasonable (tho I would quibble a little on the length of the leash). But Barta is in difficult position. Fran will sell him on his 2 boys being the key to the future when paired with existing players. We already have a non-analog situation suggesting Barta is both gullible and in permanent possession of "developmental program" expectations.

I promise you this. Fran (thru his agent) is going to push really hard in the off-season for a contract that makes it hard to fire him before his boys graduate.

I don't think anything you said was unreasonable (tho I would quibble a little on the length of the leash). But Barta is in difficult position. Fran will sell him on his 2 boys being the key to the future when paired with existing players. We already have a non-analog situation suggesting Barta is both gullible and in permanent possession of "developmental program" expectations.

I promise you this. Fran (thru his agent) is going to push really hard in the off-season for a contract that makes it hard to fire him before his boys graduate.

I highly doubt this is the off season Fran pushes for a new contract.