How much longer does Fran get?

Some of y'all were certain this game was going to end Crean's tenure at IU.

raw

there was an entire thread "let's talk Indiana" that basically surmised that what DID happen, could very well happen. It was a bad matchup if Indiana got hot...they did. And our best two overall players probably both had their worst games of the year.

If Crean was to be let go, it had much more to do with how many games they lost given the level of talent on that team.

You mean a really young team who nobody thought was going to make the tournament missed it by one game because of an inconsistent performance at the end of the year?

Color me shocked

You have one more year to use the "young" excuse.
You'll need to come up with something else when this team doesn't make the NCAA as Juniors and Seniors.

Here is was thinking Fran turned the corner with his coaching, wow was I wrong! The same late season unraveling we get every year
You must have been in a self-induced coma the last four regular season games.

I'll catch you up real quick.

Amazing comeback win vs. Indiana after sleep walking first four minutes to a 17-4 hole. Bad news: Iowa wins.

Absolute domination of #22 Maryland with NCAA championship team in the house at Mary's House. "Fans" are leaving with 6 minutes to play. Really bad news for you. Iowa wins.

Punch-for-punch vs. #24 Connie there. Badger take good size lead for low scoring game but then choke under Hawk pressure. Really sucks bad for you: Iowa wins.

A scrappy Penn State team was dominated by Iowa on last game of the season. More bad news. Iowa won.

So yeah, other than four consecutive wins, two by knockout and two gut-checks, yeah, sounds just like every other year.

Fortunately for you, you'll get to use the same tired complaints even when they do make it. It's much easier to not use your head and be mad.

Haven't seen D yet under Fran, no reason to expect it in the future.
That's just an observation, and a hypothesis.
A totally reasonable one, to boot.

Haven't seen D yet under Fran, no reason to expect it in the future.
That's just an observation, and a hypothesis.
A totally reasonable one, to boot.
Defensive efficiency rankings of the last 5 years under Fran:
2012-13- 33
13-14- 60
14-15- 40
15-16- 76
16-17- 192

That's out of 351 teams in division I. In fact, this year's team still doesn't have his worst defensive efficiency ranking, that came in 2011-12 at 287. So while this year has been bad, it's plain false to say Fran's teams don't play defense.

2012-13- 33
13-14- 60
14-15- 40
15-16- 76
16-17- 192

That's out of 351 teams in division I. In fact, this year's team still doesn't have his worst defensive efficiency ranking, that came in 2011-12 at 287. So while this year has been bad, it's plain false to say Fran's teams don't play defense.

People only pay attention to points scored. They don't factor in more possessions due to pace of play.

2012-13- 33
13-14- 60
14-15- 40
15-16- 76
16-17- 192

That's an average of 80 over five years. That's not good.
Some games the opponent just won't be hitting shots. That's just the percentages.

But NO team leaves the 3 ball open as much as Iowa. I've never seen anything like it.
My grandma could get a look from 3 against that zone!
Then there's the transition D, hustling back, etc.
Not only is that a problem, the bigger problem IMO is it doesn't seem to bother Fran.

Yes, there are things on the offensive end to be excited about - Jobo, Cook inside, Pemsl inside, etc.
But championships (or deep tourney runs, or 20+ win seasons) are accomplished on the defensive end of the court.
Hopefully Fran will focus on that, but I'm just not optimistic.

Yeesh, they're freshman they'll learn. I figured an expert like you would know better. You're one of those instant gratification guys aren't you.

I personally feel people use the "this is a young team just wait" excuse too much. Iowa has amazing talented young players. Two of them were freshman all big ten team. Jok was the leading scorer the entire year. Nicholas was 6th man award.
I have no knowledge of what actually the players think or feel. My gut feeling last year and to a lesser extent this year is there is some issues between the coach and the players. I have seen Fran chew out players that have made a mistake in front of the crowd and fellow players and give them that look. In what appears to be more than just a teaching moment. I may be completely out in left field with this one. I have no coaching skills or knowledge and do not know how the players feel or wether this coaching technique makes better players. Its just an observation. Maybe this helps motivate players ? I don't know. I Give the benefit of the doubt to the Athletic department that they know what goes on and do whatever is the best thing in order for Iowa to produce winning teams.
What do you guys think?

I personally feel people use the "this is a young team just wait" excuse too much. Iowa has amazing talented young players. Two of them were freshman all big ten team. Jok was the leading scorer the entire year. Nicholas was 6th man award.
I have no knowledge of what actually the players think or feel. My gut feeling last year and to a lesser extent this year is there is some issues between the coach and the players. I have seen Fran chew out players that have made a mistake in front of the crowd and fellow players and give them that look. In what appears to be more than just a teaching moment. I may be completely out in left field with this one. I have no coaching skills or knowledge and do not know how the players feel or wether this coaching technique makes better players. Its just an observation. Maybe this helps motivate players ? I don't know. I Give the benefit of the doubt to the Athletic department that they know what goes on and do whatever is the best thing in order for Iowa to produce winning teams.
What do you guys think?

I agree.
And I think the "players only" meeting last year (was it last year?) had something to do with exactly what you're talking about.
Like it was a "ok guys we all know our coach is often a raging psycho, but we gotta fight through this together" meeting.

2012-13- 33
13-14- 60
14-15- 40
15-16- 76
16-17- 192

We had Adam Woodbury protecting the rim the last four seasons which made a huge difference in our defensive efficiency. Many fans couldn't wait for Woodbury to graduate but you can really see a difference in our ability to protect the paint. We also lost a very good defender in Clemmons and Gesell for all his limitations played decent defense at the point. Still even with a better defensive back court than we have now as another poster mentioned we never have defended the 3 point line well.

When we commit to playing good team defense Fran's teams at times do play good defense but they just don't do it consistently. No excuse for what we saw the other night casually jogging back in transition especially in a big game that really mattered.

Last edited:
I have no questions that Fran knows the complexity of basketball and comes up with some brilliant offense and defense. I am more concerned about the interaction he has with his players. Sometimes at this level, as everyone is very talented, this can be the difference between a win and loss. some coaches have a way of getting players to play their hearts out every game and play beyond there perceived abilities. These are the same coaches that make you feel like they love you. In return you would take a bullet for them.

Last edited:
I have no questions that Fran knows the complexity of basketball and comes up with some brilliant offense and defense. I am more concerned about the interaction he has with his players. Sometimes at this level as everyone is very talented this can be the difference between a win and loss. some coaches have a way of getting players to play their hearts out every game and play beyond there perceived abilities. These are the same coaches you feel like you love them and they love you.

echo, this seems a point that most fans don't want to touch with a ten foot pole. Something happened last season behind the scenes but we will never really know what. I thought it looked like the players became burned out and mentally checked out while still trying to stick together. We've had posters on this and other boards say that they had really intense coaches like Fran back in their playing days and found them very difficult to play for which I don't find hard to imagine at all.