How much longer does Fran get?

In all fairness to Mr. Davis, they have a larger field dancing now. Fran was in the play in game that didn't exist back then.

The year we were in the play in game, we were the #11 seed game though, not the #12 seed, so we would've made the top 34 (of 36) at large bids. Remember they increased the number of teams in the total tournament because they added more small conferences with automatic bids (32 in 2014, compared to 30 in 1995 for instance), the at large number of teams hasn't really changed much since the Mr. Davis era. Of course that can vary year by year with conferences starting and merging all the time.

I remember feeling snubbed in 1997-98, but getting whipped in the BTT by that maize and blue team that doesn't exist in the NCAA record books anymore knocked us off the bubble. And I don't remember any analysts having any sympathy for us either that year, they were kind of glad the NCAA set an example that 20 wins in a power 5 didn't mean what it used to if you didn't schedule anyone tough. And we got killed at home by Georgia in the NIT game so yeah, they were probably right in hindsight.

Go back and compare Fran's record with Lute's and then let's talk.

OK. Lute's first 6 years: 56-52 (.519) in the Big 10, 104-64 (.619) overall. 2 NCAA appearances.
Fran's first 6 years: 54-54 (.500) in the Big 10, 118-86 (.578) overall. 3 NCAA appearances.

So 2 more wins in conference for Lute and a slightly higher winning percentage. And this includes Lute's Final Four, which was in his 6th year. While Fran doesn't have the same post-season success, everything else is very close to the same. I, for one, was glad to see Lute go; especially after he came out in the 4-corner offense and tried to stall the entire second half against Wichita St and ended up losing.

Lute's 7th year at Iowa 1980-81, they finished 21-7 overall (13-5 in Big Ten for 2nd place)

Iowa lost 90-68 @ Drake who was 18-11 (10-6 in MVC for 4th place)
Iowa lost 60-48 at home to Minnesota who was 19-11 (9-9 in Big Ten for 5th place)
Iowa lost 79-66 @ Illinois who was 21-8 (12-6 in Big Ten for 3rd place)

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa/1981-schedule.html

Yes, but you leave out the scores Fran has done. Lute had something like 6 or 7 losses by 18 or more and most the first year or so. Fran has had something like 17 including 3 very bad ones in the past 12 months and the games weren't as close as the score was. Go back Lute's previous few years and you'll see the trend. There is also nothing to indicate that things are going to get better.

I"m sure Fran has more losses in the 12-18 point range.

Btw, Drake beat Georgetown and Wichita State, the latter to which made it to the 4th round of the NCAA. They also beat Tulsa which won the NIT when the NIT was something. MN was a very good team that year with Trent Tucker and Randy Brewer.

Not like blow outs to NW. Heck you can throw IL into a couple of those comparisons.

Yes, but you leave out the scores Fran has done. Lute had something like 6 or 7 losses by 18 or more and most the first year or so. Fran has had something like 17 including 3 very bad ones in the past 12 months and the games weren't as close as the score was. Go back Lute's previous few years and you'll see the trend. There is also nothing to indicate that things are going to get better.

I"m sure Fran has more losses in the 12-18 point range.

Btw, Drake beat Georgetown and Wichita State, the latter to which made it to the 4th round of the NCAA. They also beat Tulsa which won the NIT when the NIT was something. MN was a very good team that year with Trent Tucker and Randy Brewer.

Not like blow outs to NW. Heck you can throw IL into a couple of those comparisons.

You said - Lute got blown out his first year a number of times. By this point it never happened. It actually did happen.

It appears I was wrong about the Drake game - I read the page wrong. That was a 90-68 win for Iowa. However, the point remains. Teams with veteran coaches lose games to teams they should beat often.

You said - Lute got blown out his first year a number of times. By this point it never happened. It actually did happen.

It appears I was wrong about the Drake game - I read the page wrong. That was a 90-68 win for Iowa. However, the point remains. Teams with veteran coaches lose games to teams they should beat often.

Yes, your premise is correct. You wanted to refute with Lute and they aren't comparable....if only slightly. We don't have Lute. We have Tom Davis with higher highs and lower lows, but the post opening lows may not be here yet.....

Indiana got beat by 30 last night at Michigan in Crean's 9th season. Ohio St. got beat by 23 at Wisconsin in Matta's 13th year. It happens.

Not going to go back and find a 30 point loss, but they lost by 28 at OSU in 2011. OSU was ranked first, Wisconsin was ranked 10th. That was Bo Ryan's tenth year.

Are they? Didn't we just beat Michigan a few weeks ago?

And comparing McCaffery to Lute using stats is way too simplistic. When Lute was here in the 70's, college basketball was a whole different animal. It hadn't emerged as the major sport it is now. There was one game on TV every week and only ten teams in the league, a couple of which were never good (you hear me Wisconsin?). Hell, Lute replaced Dick Shultz, who previously had worked as the men's baseball coach and was just handed the basketball job when Ralph Miller left. Can you imagine that happening today?

Seeing all these weird scores every day really reminds me how random and day to day college basketball is.

Are they? Didn't we just beat Michigan a few weeks ago?

And comparing McCaffery to Lute using stats is way too simplistic. When Lute was here in the 70's, college basketball was a whole different animal. It hadn't emerged as the major sport it is now. There was one game on TV every week and only ten teams in the league, a couple of which were never good (you hear me Wisconsin?). Hell, Lute replaced Dick Shultz, who previously had worked as the men's baseball coach and was just handed the basketball job when Ralph Miller left. Can you imagine that happening today?

Ha ha, not it's not. TV is different. Remember Lute didn't coach At AZ in the 1800s.

OK. Lute's first 6 years: 56-52 (.519) in the Big 10, 104-64 (.619) overall. 2 NCAA appearances.
Fran's first 6 years: 54-54 (.500) in the Big 10, 118-86 (.578) overall. 3 NCAA appearances.

So 2 more wins in conference for Lute and a slightly higher winning percentage. And this includes Lute's Final Four, which was in his 6th year. While Fran doesn't have the same post-season success, everything else is very close to the same. I, for one, was glad to see Lute go; especially after he came out in the 4-corner offense and tried to stall the entire second half against Wichita St and ended up losing.
If you are serious then you are a fool. The Big was the premier conference then.

Looking at the schedule this week, we have two winnable games and MSU is one game ahead of us with one tough game. Also Purdue is two games ahead of us with two tough games this week. It would be crazy f all 5 games went our way and we ended the week in a tie for 4th place.

No, but it's not the same as it was then. Plus with the scheduling it's not round robin/ home and away.

It's not this season for sure - but the last 2 or 3 years it's been considered one of if not the best conference in the country. Think back to how bad the B1G was considered when Alfraud was here and he only made 3 dances in 8 years.

Latest posts