How much longer does Fran get?

I do see a difference in both. One talks about different options and the other getting so upset about the the final score.

All good, except we crushed Drake that year, not the reverse :) And the NCAA first-round loss was, quite possibly, the catalyst to a series of "comedy of errors" type NCAA appearances, save for the occasional "nice" NCAA runs in the years that followed.

To wit:
--1981: tied, Hawks have ball, miss shot, foul Wichita State, then call TO when we had none left, with almost zero time left. Lose, 60-56
--1982: lose in second round. To Idaho.
1983: Lose in Sweet 16 to Villanova, decent season, but Lute would leave after much "attention" on the program. Folks still disappointed at no "progress" after Final Four season of 1979-80
1984: Raveling's first, no tourney after 12-15 "nightmare"
1985: First-round exit, after having lead on Arkansas
1986: Another first-round exit. Raveling leaves.
1987: Elite Eight...but the last loss STILL agonizing 30 years later. But a monumental season!
1988: Lose by 20 to Arizona in Sweet 16 (to Lute), but did kick UNLV around a round earlier. But with most of 1987 team back, 24-10 kind of a letdown
1989: Another 10-loss season, with a second round loss. To NC State. Seems we have a tough time with them!
1990: 12-16. Nuff said
1991: 21-11, scrape by E Tenn St in first round, crushed by Duke in second.
1992: 19-11, another second round exit at the hands of Duke. Is NCAA starting to feel 'rigged"?
1993: Sad year w/loss of CMS40. Loss in second round to Wake Forest as a 4-seed.
1994: 11-16. Best left "undiscussed"
1995: Last regular season crushing by Indiana may have demoted us to NIT. Lose to PSU, at home, on buzzer-beating 3.
1996: Nice comeback against GW in first-round, bitch-slapped by AZ in second.
1997: Second-round exit to Kentucky. TD got some tough draws in NCAAs
1998: Crunched by Michigan in inaugural BTT, bounced in NIT first round by UGA
1999: Mr. Davis's last season. Sweet 16 after beating Arkansas in second round, lose to eventual Nat'l. Champ. UConn. Also the year Alford takes SW Missouri St. to Sweet 16. Who could've known...

Alford, in eight seasons, makes three NCAAs, one win, a glaring first-round loss as a 3-seed, 2 BTT titles and 3 NITs with only one getting out of the first round.

Lick...well, the less said, the better.

Fran has shown progress. This year hasn't been 'unexpected", and has seen highs and lows to the both extremes.

For those expecting Iowa to be a "power", read up. Glimpses here and there, but for the most part, we have never been "feared' in the Lute-to-present timeline.

Yeah, but this is 2017. A coach is expected to take his team to the NCAAs or a good bowl game or he needs to be gone. You must perform and be great every year or you're not worth crap. Either produce, or the temperamental, short attention-span, instant gratification culture will eat you alive.

giphy.gif

Just when you thought the program was headed in the right direction the team gets totally blown out by Northwestern -- North-friggin-western. That should NEVER happen.

How many more stumbles like this does Barta absorb before pulling the trigger?
If we believe these boards Barta is a mere pawn that cannot affect any coaching change without the money handlers making the call. As pissed as I am about today's game Fran has done about as well as Kirk has over the same 6 year stretch.

We should have won, at home. But didn't Illinois have basically the same overall and conference record as Iowa, with a stronger sos?

Bad loss. No doubt .

If we believe these boards Barta is a mere pawn that cannot affect any coaching change without the money handlers making the call. As pissed as I am about today's game Fran has done about as well as Kirk has over the same 6 year stretch.

Argument to stay or go?

Posted this in another thread.

Pops Harrison won 70% of his games while at Iowa.
Bucky O'Connor won 65.9% of his games while at Iowa.
Tom Davis won 65.8% of his games while at Iowa.
Ralph Miller won 65.1% of his games while at Iowa.
Lute won 63.9% of his games while at Iowa.
Steve Alford won 58.9% of his games while at Iowa.
George Raveling won 58.7% of his games while at Iowa.
Fran has won 57.1% of his games while at Iowa.
Sharm Scheuerman 51.1% of his games while at Iowa.
Dick Schultz won 42.7% of his games while at Iowa.
Todd Lickliter won 39.6% of his games while at Iowa, but won 68.2% of his games while at Butler.

IMO, Fran has done as much as anybody could getting Iowa back on track so far. The program was a total mess when he took over. The team had no confidence, the talent level was at an all time low and the recruiting/scholarship situation was in shambles. He took a bunch of young players, got some chemistry going and put some real excitement back in a program that was so far down in the gutter even the most true blue Hawkeye fans were extremely apathetic about the future. Attendance at Carver was at an all time low. Hell before Fran, when Illinois came, the Orange Crush fans took over Carver. I didn't see them at the game yesterday.

How many coaches out there right now that were put in the situation that existed at Iowa, when Fran took over, that could have done any better or do any better than Fran is right now? Ten tops, and would any of them even consider coming to Iowa? I doubt it.

Sure there is a ways to go, but Fran deserves the chance to get Iowa there.

IMO, Fran has done as much as anybody could getting Iowa back on track so far. The program was a total mess when he took over. The team had no confidence, the talent level was at an all time low and the recruiting/scholarship situation was in shambles. He took a bunch of young players, got some chemistry going and put some real excitement back in a program that was so far down in the gutter even the most true blue Hawkeye fans were extremely apathetic about the future. Attendance at Carver was at an all time low. Hell before Fran, when Illinois came, the Orange Crush fans took over Carver. I didn't see them at the game yesterday.

How many coaches out there right now that were put in the situation that existed at Iowa, when Fran took over, that could have done any better or do any better than Fran is right now? Ten tops, and would any of them even consider coming to Iowa? I doubt it.

You know I watch our games on tv and find myself frustrated with the lack of excitement among our fans toward basketball. Yesterday Carver seemed more alive when the Illini made a run with their fans making noise than it did almost the entire game with our fans. That occurred without the Orange Crush there as noted. And once again we had the announcers talking about how the fans seemed asleep.

We have a passive attitude among our fans which starts at the top with the administration and athletic department. It seems pointless this far in Fran's tenure to keep pointing to the turn around after Lickliter. Now it becomes all about where do we go from here? I like the young talent Fran has brought in but feel discouraged about yet another late season swoon.

Do we really need 14 pages of posts to find out how long Fran gets? Anyone with half a brain can tell Fran is on the verge of putting us in the upper echelon of the B10...how far that goes and how long is all about recruiting. I do have to shake my head about yesterday though.

Illinois has guards that can stop penetration and run you off the three point line, we should have worked every possession down to Cook, Pemsl, or whomever was in the post. Every freaking possession. Pemsl missing several bunnies hurts, but you beat Illinois down low. Williams had a 5 inch size advantage and he was never in the post when he was in. I just don't get that. If a team is determined to take away the three, the post is open to one on one all day. You have to be disciplined and pound...and by the last 8 minutes of the game, they are in serious foul trouble...and hopefully your bigs are shooting 60% from down low or getting to the line. If you hurt them down low, they go to a zone or change their defense...guess what happens then. We are so geared up to get Bohannan and Jok threes, that we don't show discipline when a team is overtly taking it away. Cook was 5-7 down low, how he doesn't get 15 attempts in that game is simply shocking and a travesty of coaching ineptitude.

Do we really need 14 pages of posts to find out how long Fran gets? Anyone with half a brain can tell Fran is on the verge of putting us in the upper echelon of the B10...how far that goes and how long is all about recruiting. I do have to shake my head about yesterday though.

Illinois has guards that can stop penetration and run you off the three point line, we should have worked every possession down to Cook, Pemsl, or whomever was in the post. Every freaking possession. Pemsl missing several bunnies hurts, but you beat Illinois down low. Williams had a 5 inch size advantage and he was never in the post when he was in. I just don't get that. If a team is determined to take away the three, the post is open to one on one all day. You have to be disciplined and pound...and by the last 8 minutes of the game, they are in serious foul trouble...and hopefully your bigs are shooting 60% from down low or getting to the line. If you hurt them down low, they go to a zone or change their defense...guess what happens then. We are so geared up to get Bohannan and Jok threes, that we don't show discipline when a team is overtly taking it away. Cook was 5-7 down low, how he doesn't get 15 attempts in that game is simply shocking and a travesty of coaching ineptitude.

I honestly don't know how much better we'll be next year. Our guards need to drastically improve or we need bring in an impact transfer guard

He's in year 7. How freaking long do you think it takes? 7 years is long enough to flip the roster 2 times.

As much as I like him, Fran isn't going to get us anywhere.
I really don't think I care for him. He has major temper issues. He's a jerk to the media in his pressers. You don't dare challenge him with a hard core question. On court rants have gotten old, especially when he refused to shake hands after that one game. If I am the AD, & I don't see huge strides in both the men's and women's programs next year, I'm looking for two new head coaches.

Not having read the whole thread I think part of the frustration stems from a team like Wisky having a great run, changing coaches and seemingly not missing a beat. Besides Jok, Fran has a very young team and I don't know of many who really expected much this year except development and maybe a NIT slot.