How does one become a cyclone?

I just got off the Iowa State forum board. It must suck to sit around and debate how bad you're going to get beaten!!

Like whammer said earlier, I also grew up about an hour north of Ames (weird). Grew up in a Hawkeye household, watching football and basketball games with my parents. Just because I didn't grow up near Iowa City doesn't mean there aren't other reasons to become a fan of a team. By that logic, you shouldn't be a fan of Iowa State if you are from North Iowa unless you went to school there too. So I guess those who never went to college can't cheer for anyone.

I also graduated from ISU, and stayed a Hawkeye fan. Why? I didn't choose the school based on the sports teams. To me, that's a dumb reason to choose a school. And it's not only the academics. I had some things in my personal life that led me to ISU, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I stayed an Iowa fan, because after 20 years of cheering one way, it was natural to continue that loyalty. I didn't have to think about it.

Those of you that think you can only be a fan based on a certain set of criteria really are morons. People cheer for a team for a multitude of reasons. None are right, none are wrong. Because according to the ISU fans on the board, and Vintage, I have no rights to be an Iowa fan. And to that I say too bad. I am

Along your same line of logic then, why do I hear so many tavern hawks not only bashing the teams, but Ames and the school itself? That is probably what pisses me off the most.

and i've seen it the other way, so equally not cool. and i've seen a lot of you ISU fans on here being equally not cool, as the reverse is true over there at CF, but i don't go over there so i can only guess.

my question to you is, why are YOU here? i like what some of you bring to the table, i like what BryceC has to say for example.

I'm here to generate traffic to Jon's little site so that he can get rid of the video ads.

Seriously, I follow the Hawks as closely as I do the Cyclones, I want the Hawks to win every game but one. So that's why I'm on HN..

I can see how it can happen.

I grew up in Hampton, 60 miles north of Lames.

There was a minor Iowa support group around, but many many ISU clubs, etc. My first college game ever was ISU/Colorado.

All the sod-busters here went for a 2-year AG degree, then went back to the farm.

Luckily, my folks were both Iowa grads and saved me from a life of pain, misery and disgrace.

I can see how it can happen.

I grew up in Hampton, 60 miles north of Lames.

There was a minor Iowa support group around, but many many ISU clubs, etc. My first college game ever was ISU/Colorado.

All the sod-busters here went for a 2-year AG degree, then went back to the farm.

Luckily, my folks were both Iowa grads and saved me from a life of pain, misery and disgrace.

If sports dictate your life in any way, shape or form, there are obviously other issues at play.

I grew up a Cyclone in Boone. Don't make me break out my Dedric Willoughby jersey.

Also, like Enginerd, I root for Iowa too. In fact, I'll be taking in the Iowa/Purdue game in West Lafayette with a bunch of buddies who primarily root for the hawks this year. Should be a good time.

I didn't go to Iowa. I was born a hawk fan and everyone in my family are hawk fans.It started with my great grandpa and passed down from there. I have two sons who I hope go to Iowa and maybe play football there or wrestle

Last edited:
I didn't go to Iowa. I was born a hawk fan and everyone in my family are hawk fans.It started with my great grandpa and passed down from there. I have two sons who I hope go to Iowa and maybe play football there or wrestle

But if you want your kids to get jobs after college you might want to send them to ISU

Along your same line of logic then, why do I hear so many tavern hawks not only bashing the teams, but Ames and the school itself? That is probably what pisses me off the most.

like the old clowny saying iowa shiddy? yeah, it's just a one-way street of hatred.

signed,

ole raisin face.

Grew up 40 miles from Iowa City. Listened to the Hawks on the radio as long as I can remember. Started going to games in the late 60's and was always impressed by how the IOWA crowd would cheer when Rev Robert Holzhammer(SP) would announce the Iowa State score. ISU ahead, big cheer, ISU behind, Big groan.

Then when I got to school in the 70's, I started hearing about the crowd at State booing when Iowa was ahead and cheering Iowa's being down. I don't know if this can be supported with facts, But it seems to me this is when it became more relevant to hate the OTHER school and it intensified with the renewal of the football series.

Still hard to root for ISU, but its not hard to root against the Hawk haters.

Thank God, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor! My Dad graduated from the University of Illinois in June 1942. After graduation, he had planned to go to Iowa State for graduate school & to teach. However, the army changed his plans.

If Pearl Harbor had not been attacked, I could have been raised in Ames with a dad on the faculty & become a huge Cyclone fan. I have trouble sleeping at night with this thought in my head. Tora! Tora! Tora! is one of my favorite movies.

I'm exaggerating & making light of the situation. I wasn't even born until 1953. In fact, my Mom & Dad did not meet until after the war. But, yes, if the Japanese had not bombed Pearl Harbor, my Dad probably would have ended up studying & teaching at ISU. Who knows what would have happened, but the possibilities still send chills down my spine.

I know a guy who has a degree from Clown U but is a pretty avid Hawkeye fan.
I also know a guy who is a Purdue grad but roots for ND in football and IU in b-ball.
I have never been able to understand how/why someone supports a school other than the one they attended. Mind you, I don't think it is wrong or bad, I just don't get it. And I don't mean the folks who went to smaller colleges like Wartburg or Drake or what have you; I totally understand why those grads support Iowa and I love them for it.
But attending & graduating from one BCS-conference school and rooting for another, that's a puzzler. It would be like me rooting for illannoy :mad:, even though I graduated from Iowa. :confused:

I didn't graduate from Iowa. I graduated from the other BCS school in the state. However, I was born and raised in Iowa City and have been an avid Hawk fan all my life. You're saying I should root for Cyclone ATHLETICS simply because I went there to get an EDUCATION? Silly...

I didn't graduate from Iowa. I graduated from the other BCS school in the state. However, I was born and raised in Iowa City and have been an avid Hawk fan all my life. You're saying I should root for Cyclone ATHLETICS simply because I went there to get an EDUCATION? Silly...

I'm not saying anything other than I don't get it. I selected Iowa, I attended Iowa, I graduated from Iowa, and I just can't understand why I'd root for any other school. Especially one I did not attend.
To each his own, 'lounge. I wasn't attacking you personally; I just don't understand how someone can have that sort of allegiance; it seems almost like a conflict of interest.

I almost went to the dark side when I was between 5-7 years old. I even had an Iowa State basketball sweatshirt with #14 on the back for Hornacek when I was in Kindergarten, wore it all the time. My brothers would tease me about ISU basketball player Terry Woods by calling him Terry pee in the woods. For whatever reason, that really ****** me off. My uncle was an ISU grad and went to a few games with him, saw Barry Sanders at Oklahoma State run wild at Jack Trice. The Hawkeye pull was just too strong from my family though and I came back to my senses. Now I have grown to not be able to stand Iowa State.

Latest posts