How does one become a cyclone?

Man! There is a lot of CyHawk hate this year! ISU to the B1G must have you worried! :) Just kiddin'!

I know a guy who has a degree from Clown U but is a pretty avid Hawkeye fan.
I also know a guy who is a Purdue grad but roots for ND in football and IU in b-ball.
I have never been able to understand how/why someone supports a school other than the one they attended. Mind you, I don't think it is wrong or bad, I just don't get it. And I don't mean the folks who went to smaller colleges like Wartburg or Drake or what have you; I totally understand why those grads support Iowa and I love them for it.
But attending & graduating from one BCS-conference school and rooting for another, that's a puzzler. It would be like me rooting for illannoy :mad:, even though I graduated from Iowa. :confused:

"SO ANGRY. A TEAM I DONT CARE ABOUT AND THE FANBASE WHO SUPPORT IT BEING HOPEFUL ABOUT THEM. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF. I SHOULD JUST GO ONLINE AND ***** ABOUT IT DAILY"

-Vintage

Specialdeliveryforcaptainbutthur-1.jpg

I also know a guy who is a Purdue grad but roots for ND in football and IU in b-ball.
I have never been able to understand how/why someone supports a school other than the one they attended. Mind you, I don't think it is wrong or bad, I just don't get it. And I don't mean the folks who went to smaller colleges like Wartburg or Drake or what have you; I totally understand why those grads support Iowa and I love them for it.
But attending & graduating from one BCS-conference school and rooting for another, that's a puzzler. It would be like me rooting for illannoy :mad:, even though I graduated from Iowa. :confused:
One of my best friends went to ISU with me and is a huge Hawk fan, but roots for ISU when they aren't playing each other. My ENTIRE family is Hawk fans except for two cousins, my Gma, and my mom. I really don't have anything against you guys. I just like the back and forth on here. I will actually probably go for the Hawks when you play Nebraska. :rolleyes:

don't over think things here vint - we are talking clown psychology here. keep things simple for them, and believe as they do: fan=alumni. it's what they preach.

funny - there was a thread over on clownation where they were biatching about this (tavern hoks), and some tavern clowns started chiming in about how pretentious it was for them to call out tavernhawks as there were plenty of cyclown fans who didn't go to school in Ames - talk about eating their own when the alumni started bagging on the tavernclowns.

what a group of morans.

NO, I didn't grow up near IC and I didn't attend Iowa either. I'm an Iowa fan because that's who my dad is a fan of. Couldn't be much simpler. I have great memories with my dad and cheering for Iowa, even when they didn't win as much.

This is the only way to describe it for me. That, and I am from Iowa, not Ames.

I can't figure why I am not allowed to be an Iowa fan if I didn't go to Iowa? Seriouly, has anyone ever thought about it before complaining about "tavern Hawks". By that logic not one person under the age of eighteen is allowed to cheer for collegiate sports team. Sorry high school seniors, until you're on campus no wearing of the school colors. Also, no more cheering for professional sports, or at the very least, not unless you are from the city they occupy.

The truth is, I have been cheering for the Hawkeyes since before I can even remember cheering for them. I am from Iowa, and I am very proud of my IOWA Hawkeyes. They have been a part of me longer than anything else in my life outside of my family, and that is part of who I am.

i have several clients who are huge ISU fans who both didn't go to ISU, and don't have anyone in the family there. i just don't get the ISU fans who think you have to graduate from a school to root for them.

Vintage, i can totally see those who went to one school but root for another. athletics often has little to do with academics. for example, if you want to be in my field (physical therapy) you can't do that at ISU. simple as that. just because i grew up a fan of one schools athletics wouldn't deter me from going to another school if the academics lined up better.

not even in the same category Vin. The love for college sports in illanoys, especially chicagoland is not even close to what it is in states like Iowa. A better comparison for your analysis is someone that grew up a Bears fan and was a die hard Ditka, sweetness and Jim McMann fan all their lives. You then move to NC and for five years watch the Panthers. Are you still a bears fan no more or a Panthers fan?

I grew up a Hawkeye fan. Ever since I can remember I cheered for the Hawks. We work hawk shirts, hats, shorts and watched every game. I grew up 8 minutes for ISU and my highschool was split about 50/50 hawk/ISU fans. I never went to Iowa, yes I am a tavern hawk, but I didn't wipe that loyalty away when I transfered and finished my last two years of school ISU. I even hung out with ISU football players. I still remember one asking me if I wanted my *** kicked for wearing a hawk shirt and hat when we went out drinking one night. My comment back was..."even on welch avenue in Ames, we are still in the Hawkeye state."

My dad raised a hawkeye fan. It never went away. And everyone can kiss my @ss!!!

damn I feel like new mex writing this much.

In my case I slid down my mother's birth canal and was raised and cared for by an ISU engineering grad and his dutiful wife. Upon graduation from high school, the blinders fell from my eyes, I saw the world and went on to graduate from the University of Iowa. Go Hawks.

don't over think things here vint - we are talking clown psychology here. keep things simple for them, and believe as they do: fan=alumni. it's what they preach.

funny - there was a thread over on clownation where they were biatching about this (tavern hoks), and some tavern clowns started chiming in about how pretentious it was for them to call out tavernhawks as there were plenty of cyclown fans who didn't go to school in Ames - talk about eating their own when the alumni started bagging on the tavernclowns.

what a group of morans.

I think what clown fan really wants to say is that anyone who didn't attend Iowa but who roots for The Hawks is a front-runner. But rather than going all in and stating that strong position, they fall back on "TavernHawk".
So weak. So laughable. So envious.

i have several clients who are huge ISU fans who both didn't go to ISU, and don't have anyone in the family there. i just don't get the ISU fans who think you have to graduate from a school to root for them.

Vintage, i can totally see those who went to one school but root for another. athletics often has little to do with academics. for example, if you want to be in my field (physical therapy) you can't do that at ISU. simple as that. just because i grew up a fan of one schools athletics wouldn't deter me from going to another school if the academics lined up better.

I transfered to ISU after looking at Iowa and realizing ISU was way ahead of Iowa in computers. I went for MIS. never used it though.

I can't honestly tell you how I became a Hawk fan for sure. My guess is that back in the early 80's they were heading to a Rose bowl or two and they were on TV and I could actually watch them. I wasn't die hard until I started going to games in the late 90's. I went to UNI, oh the dreaded PantherHawk! My wife is an ISU alum and has passion for them and I respect her for that. I know several people who did not go there, but became fans. Their reason is because I hated Iowa so much!

not even in the same category Vin. The love for college sports in illanoys, especially chicagoland is not even close to what it is in states like Iowa. A better comparison for your analysis is someone that grew up a Bears fan and was a die hard Ditka, sweetness and Jim McMann fan all their lives. You then move to NC and for five years watch the Panthers. Are you still a bears fan no more or a Panthers fan?

I grew up a Hawkeye fan. Ever since I can remember I cheered for the Hawks. We work hawk shirts, hats, shorts and watched every game. I grew up 8 minutes for ISU and my highschool was split about 50/50 hawk/ISU fans. I never went to Iowa, yes I am a tavern hawk, but I didn't wipe that loyalty away when I transfered and finished my last two years of school ISU. I even hung out with ISU football players. I still remember one asking me if I wanted my *** kicked for wearing a hawk shirt and hat when we went out drinking one night. My comment back was..."even on welch avenue in Ames, we are still in the Hawkeye state."

My dad raised a hawkeye fan. It never went away. And everyone can kiss my @ss!!!

damn I feel like new mex writing this much.

Wow, that must be a load off of your chest! :D
I stopped being a Bears fan when that asshat Mike McCaskey fired Coach Ditka and brought in idiot weasel Wanny. That was it for me. Subsequently moved to Rhode Island and picked up on the Patriots...when Pete was still HC, and then on to the Belichick years. I've added teh Panthers to my interests, but only because of proximity.
However, none of those teams are part of your own life; they are professional franchises, not Alma Maters.
Iowa is in my heart; it's part of who I am. I could NEVER supplant Iowa with another university, and why would I want to? It's un-freaking-natural.

Wow, that must be a load off of your chest! :D
I stopped being a Bears fan when that asshat Mike McCaskey fired Coach Ditka and brought in idiot weasel Wanny. That was it for me. Subsequently moved to Rhode Island and picked up on the Patriots...when Pete was still HC, and then on to the Belichick years. I've added teh Panthers to my interests, but only because of proximity.
However, none of those teams are part of your own life; they are professional franchises, not Alma Maters.
Iowa is in my heart; it's part of who I am. I could NEVER supplant Iowa with another university, and why would I want to? It's un-freaking-natural.

smartazz...growing up in Iowa...I was taught to cheer for the school that represents my state.

I grew up a hawk, went to tISU for the engineering program, loved it. ISU has a lot of rural/small town kids that had similar backgrounds to me. My impression of the UofI is that it is a bunch of surburban Chicago kids that are wanna be doctors or lawyers that will eventually fail and become male nurses, bank tellers or government bureaucrats.

I tend to find two types of hawkeye fans when relating to ISU:
1. Iowan: They are happy to see ISU win as long as it isn't against the Hawks and would like to watch the Cyclones if they're on TV.
2. Hawkeye-D-bag: They hate ISU, call ISU alums f'ing farmers, root against ISU even when they play Nebby, and generally have no respect

Fortunately there are more Iowans than D-bags..

I grew up a hawk, went to tISU for the engineering program, loved it. ISU has a lot of rural/small town kids that had similar backgrounds to me. My impression of the UofI is that it is a bunch of surburban Chicago buttmunches like Vin that are wanna be doctors or lawyers that will eventually fail and become male nurses, bank tellers or government bureaucrats, or salesmen.

1. Iowan: They are happy to see ISU win as long as it isn't against the Hawks and would like to watch the Cyclones if they're on TV.
2. Hawkeye-D-bag: They hate ISU, call ISU alums f'ing farmers, root against ISU even when they play Nebby, and generally have no respect

:D fixed it for you.

I grew up a hawk, went to tISU for the engineering program, loved it. ISU has a lot of rural/small town kids that had similar backgrounds to me. My impression of the UofI is that it is a bunch of surburban Chicago kids that are wanna be doctors or lawyers that will eventually fail and become male nurses, bank tellers or government bureaucrats.

or "engineers" making $48k, living in teh QC

Latest posts