How does one become a cyclone?

I'm not saying anything other than I don't get it. I selected Iowa, I attended Iowa, I graduated from Iowa, and I just can't understand why I'd root for any other school. Especially one I did not attend.
To each his own, 'lounge. I wasn't attacking you personally; I just don't understand how someone can have that sort of allegiance; it seems almost like a conflict of interest.

As usual, you are absolutely correct again.

I'm not saying anything other than I don't get it. I selected Iowa, I attended Iowa, I graduated from Iowa, and I just can't understand why I'd root for any other school. Especially one I did not attend.
To each his own, 'lounge. I wasn't attacking you personally; I just don't understand how someone can have that sort of allegiance; it seems almost like a conflict of interest.

So were you a Hawkeye fan before you selected Iowa?

Personally, I think the conflict would come if you spent 18 years of your life absolutely loving one school, and then just because of an educational decision, changing allegiance.

If you grew up as a rabid Eagles fan in Philly, and then took a job in dallas after graduation, should you change your team to the Cowboys because of that? I don't think so.

Personally, I think the conflict would come if you spent 18 years of your life absolutely loving one school, and then just because of an educational decision, changing allegiance.

If you grew up as a rabid Eagles fan in Philly, and then took a job in dallas after graduation, should you change your team to the Cowboys because of that? I don't think so.

You would be wrong then, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

I said the same thing but since Vin is a FIB I used the bears in the analogy. He didn't get it.

I didn't graduate from Iowa. I graduated from the other BCS school in the state. However, I was born and raised in Iowa City and have been an avid Hawk fan all my life. You're saying I should root for Cyclone ATHLETICS simply because I went there to get an EDUCATION? Silly...

Chicken did you go to games with your friends when you were in school? I understand that your in heart you may always be a Hawkeye fan, but part of the experience of college is getting drunk and watching football.

Some of my best memories involved trips to KC and the Independence Bowl. Not exactly the Orange or Rose Bowls but good times none the less.

Plus when you go to get a job don't you whip out your ISU degree?

Chicken did you go to games with your friends when you were in school? I understand that your in heart you may always be a Hawkeye fan, but part of the experience of college is getting drunk and watching football.

Some of my best memories involved trips to KC and the Independence Bowl. Not exactly the Orange or Rose Bowls but good times none the less.

Plus when you go to get a job don't you whip out your ISU degree?

I attended ISU for 2 years, but gradiated elsewhere. I admit that the trips to KC for the FSU game and the INdependence bowl against Alabama were some of the most fun games I have ever attended. (Seneca scored, and the kick was good)

I enjoyed going to basketball and football games for the experience, and rooted for them against other foes, but I will always be Hawk first no matter what, I was born that way.

Yep, I was. Not rabid, but interested. My older sis's best friend enrolled at Iowa when I was still in HS, in fall 1980. I know you weren't quite borned yet then :), but Iowa proceeded to do really well in Football in 1981 and went to teh Rose Bowl after that season. I heard all the stories and my dad & I took interest (dad was a grad of Iowa Teachers College...now UNI) that season. It played a big part in my choice to apply to Iowa in 1983.

does bashing the cyclones make iowa any more relevant? I know your happy with your bcs game a few years back. but give it a rest. im from Omaha and went to isu and have many hawk friends but none of them are half as lame as the posts I see on here.

does bashing the cyclones make iowa any more relevant? I know your happy with your bcs game a few years back. but give it a rest. im from Omaha and went to isu and have many hawk friends but none of them are half as lame as the posts I see on here.

I'm sorry.

14oct9-theory-of-internet-douchebaggery.jpg

I have lots of farmers in my family - they are all Hawk fans. Don't give a crap about ISU and their Ag program.

Ames is a boring *** ugly college town with no culture. ISU has very little good sports history so that's not it.

Football - miles ahead IA
Basketball - historically much better IA
Wrestling - light years ahead IA and ISU is getting worse
Women's - don't care

I said the same thing but since Vin is a FIB I used the bears in the analogy. He didn't get it.

Sorry, but pro sports allegiance is completely fluid and depends a lot on geography. I didn't pay for the privilege to attend "Chicago Bears" and work to obtain a "Chicago Bears" degree. As a kid growing up outside Chicago, you just rooted for the home team.
Pro sports are businesses, and unless you're a part owner, your loyalty is pretty much one way.
College sports are different, imho. You attend a school for a lot of reasons, and pulling for their sports programs to do well and attending games is a natural part of bonding with your school and developing school pride. You form roots.
My roots are in Iowa City because that's my Alma Mater. No other school is important to me. I'm a Hawkeye, bro, through and through.

I attended ISU for 2 years, but gradiated elsewhere. I admit that the trips to KC for the FSU game and the INdependence bowl against Alabama were some of the most fun games I have ever attended. (Seneca scored, and the kick was good)-True Dat

I enjoyed going to basketball and football games for the experience, and rooted for them against other foes, but I will always be Hawk first no matter what, I was born that way.

I hear ya, when ISU beats Iowa it brings me no joy. Except of course when someone has been running their mouth about how ISU sucks

Sorry, but pro sports allegiance is completely fluid and depends a lot on geography. I didn't pay for the privilege to attend "Chicago Bears" and work to obtain a "Chicago Bears" degree. As a kid growing up outside Chicago, you just rooted for the home team.
Pro sports are businesses, and unless you're a part owner, your loyalty is pretty much one way.
College sports are different, imho. You attend a school for a lot of reasons, and pulling for their sports programs to do well and attending games is a natural part of bonding with your school and developing school pride. You form roots.
My roots are in Iowa City because that's my Alma Mater. No other school is important to me. I'm a Hawkeye, bro, through and through.

Hawkeyes = Iowa's pro team (don't give me any Barnstormers crizzy). You spoiled Illannoy boy! :p:D

Last edited:

To me, the hawks were my "pro" team. I couldn't care less about the MN teams or the IL teams or the MO teams. The hawks were my only allegiance growing up, so I see no need to change that, regardless of where I went to school. My roots were formed long before I was 18.

Latest posts