How does one become a cyclone?

I grew up a hawk, went to tISU for the engineering program, loved it. ISU has a lot of rural/small town kids that had similar backgrounds to me. My impression of the UofI is that it is a bunch of surburban Chicago kids that are wanna be doctors or lawyers that will eventually fail and become male nurses, bank tellers or government bureaucrats.

I tend to find two types of hawkeye fans when relating to ISU:
1. Iowan: They are happy to see ISU win as long as it isn't against the Hawks and would like to watch the Cyclones if they're on TV.
2. Hawkeye-D-bag: They hate ISU, call ISU alums f'ing farmers, root against ISU even when they play Nebby, and generally have no respect

Fortunately there are more Iowans than D-bags..

These are your internet (mainly) fans.

I grew up a hawk, went to tISU for the engineering program, loved it. ISU has a lot of rural/small town kids that had similar backgrounds to me. My impression of the UofI is that it is a bunch of surburban Chicago kids that are wanna be doctors or lawyers that will eventually fail and become male nurses, bank tellers or government bureaucrats.

1. Iowan: They are happy to see ISU win as long as it isn't against the Hawks and would like to watch the Cyclones if they're on TV.
2. Hawkeye-D-bag: They hate ISU, call ISU alums f'ing farmers, root against ISU even when they play Nebby, and generally have no respect

Replace Hawkeye with Cyclone, and ISU with Iowa, and I think you just wrote your autobiography.

I grew up going to games. I remember going out at half time and playing 2v2 pick-up football on the tennis courts outside the stadium when we were 10-12. My buddies dad had seasons on the top row of the endzone overlooking the courts so he could keep an eye on us. I then went to CSU for 2 years and realized the MWC blows in comparison to Hawkeye football. Which, in turn, is why I laugh at the fact that ISU could end up being part of that conference. Or, I suppose I laugh at the fact that the MWC doesn't even want ISU. But I digress. :D

Replace Hawkeye with Cyclone, and ISU with Iowa, and I think you just whote your autobiography.

Ooooooohhhhhh. I see. It's mearly one sided and ISU fans are the only ones that act like this. See, now I can understand why so many people are Hawk fans. Geesh. I guess that makes me a bad guy.

Replace Hawkeye with Cyclone, and ISU with Iowa, and I think you just wrote your autobiography.

uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, classic stuff.

yeah, all these clowns over on this board and all the clownz i know just love it when iowa wins.

What most fanbases don't realize is that there are D-bags in every fanbase, so they focus on the obvious d-bags and make a sweeping statement about all other fans. This same thing is true for just about every area of life, religion, business, sales, politics, you name it. Sure, there are Hawk fans who cheer for ISU and those who cheer for them to lose, but those that drop f-bombs at the other fan base at games and at kids are tools and aren't a good sample size of what everyone else is like.

What most fanbases don't realize is that there are D-bags in every fanbase, so they focus on the obvious d-bags and make a sweeping statement about all other fans. This same thing is true for just about every area of life, religion, business, sales, politics, you name it. Sure, there are Hawk fans who cheer for ISU and those who cheer for them to lose, but those that drop f-bombs at the other fan base at games and at kids are tools and aren't a good sample size of what everyone else is like.

that sounds more like OSU fans.

I don't mind being called an effing farmer during the game.. But the other 51 weeks a year come on.

But I guess I've seen Hawk fans taunting little Cyclone children and old people.. Not cool.

I grew up an Iowa fan, then went to ISU. However, even when I graduated I was still more of an Iowa fan. That slowly changed as I began to realize what an unusually large percentage of the Iowa fanbase are total ****** bags.

I don't mind being called an effing farmer during the game.. But the other 51 weeks a year come on.

But I guess I've seen Hawk fans taunting little Cyclone children and old people.. Not cool.

and i've seen it the other way, so equally not cool. and i've seen a lot of you ISU fans on here being equally not cool, as the reverse is true over there at CF, but i don't go over there so i can only guess.

my question to you is, why are YOU here? i like what some of you bring to the table, i like what BryceC has to say for example.

I grew up an Iowa fan, then went to ISU. However, even when I graduated I was still more of an Iowa fan. That slowly changed as I began to realize what an unusually large percentage of the Iowa fanbase are total ****** bags.

same question for you as you obviously don't get it either: why are you here then or are you the d-bag? serious question.

that statement shows you also like the sweeping generalizations that you accuse the hawks of.

Why do you think that is?

If someone didn't go to ISU, aren't they really just a Cyclone fan rather than a Cyclone?

If someone didn't go to Iowa, aren't they really just a Hawkeye fan rather than a Hawkeye?

One becomes a hawkeye fan by either attending the U of I or for the sole enjoyment of being a part of the nation's second tier of BCS football programs

Like whammer said earlier, I also grew up about an hour north of Ames (weird). Grew up in a Hawkeye household, watching football and basketball games with my parents. Just because I didn't grow up near Iowa City doesn't mean there aren't other reasons to become a fan of a team. By that logic, you shouldn't be a fan of Iowa State if you are from North Iowa unless you went to school there too. So I guess those who never went to college can't cheer for anyone.

I also graduated from ISU, and stayed a Hawkeye fan. Why? I didn't choose the school based on the sports teams. To me, that's a dumb reason to choose a school. And it's not only the academics. I had some things in my personal life that led me to ISU, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I stayed an Iowa fan, because after 20 years of cheering one way, it was natural to continue that loyalty. I didn't have to think about it.

Those of you that think you can only be a fan based on a certain set of criteria really are morons. People cheer for a team for a multitude of reasons. None are right, none are wrong. Because according to the ISU fans on the board, and Vintage, I have no rights to be an Iowa fan. And to that I say too bad. I am

Latest posts