How does one become a cyclone?

Lets make one thing clear. Brett108 is a ******* moron on CF.

I wish he would be banned. Other than that carry on HN.

Here's a safe bet. If a guy claims that his team has "classier" fans, then it is safe to guess that his team sucks.

Saying another team has arrogant fans is code for "I know I can't compare our teams on the the field, so I will make up some some random, unimportant crap to tar you with". SEC fans, you know what I'm talking about. Yankees, Pats and Laker fans, you know it too.

Here's a safe bet. If a guy claims that his team has "classier" fans, then it is safe to guess that his team sucks.

Saying another team has arrogant fans is code for "I know I can't compare our teams on the the field, so I will make up some some random, unimportant crap to tar you with". SEC fans, you know what I'm talking about. Yankees, Pats and Laker fans, you know it too.
Are you comparing Iowa to the Yankees, Pats and Lakers?

ISU fans are interesting. I can attest to it because I graduated from there in the early 90s (hey, I liked their journalism school). I really do think that overall the majority of ISU fans "hate" Iowa. I mean "hate" them. Yes, we have our share of Cyclone haters but I think for the most part we simply find the Cyclones to be that annoying school in Ames with lots of farm animals. Do I cheer for ISU? Never. But, I don't hate them. In my circle of friends -- the ones who I consider diehards Cyclone fans -- they all hate Iowa -- with a passion. I honestly can't even talk to them about Iowa. Now, I don't like ISU but I can carry on a civil conversation about the Cyclones. But, I honestly think that hate does come from being the underdog for so long. ISU is a nice school but it will never be among the big boys in college football. Smaller stadium; smaller athletic budget; smaller fan base ... and 100 or so years of really what amounts to average football. With a 492–584–47 all time record and about 9 or 10 bowl appearances, it probably is hard for them to watch Iowa be on national television every week and appear in bowl games on a consistent basis. Having the chance to "knock off" Iowa gives them something to be proud of I guess -- even if it means coming out the following week and dropping a game to Army or some school like that.

If ISU fans and players were as motivated as they are for the Iowa game, Jack Trice would be rocking and the Cyclones might actually have a decent record. Yes, season tickets sales at ISU are on the rise ... However, consider they also offer a $99 season tickets. Imagine if Iowa offered a $99 season ticket for a portion of the seats at Kinnick? We still sell out ... In fact we now regularly sell 60,000 season tickets at $350 a pop.

ISU wants what Iowa has -- bowl appearances, rowdy stadium (every game; not just once or twice a year), national television and national recognition. It's a long history of playing second best to the University of Iowa ... Every once in a while ISU will sneak into a bowl game (of course, now there are like 50 bowl games) but in football, they will never be a power ... But, beating Iowa -- for many of them -- makes their year and helps them get through the rest of what usually amounts to a very average season.

It is rather simple. Some dudes like fat chicks. Some dudes like the cyclones. To each their own.

I know a guy who has a degree from Clown U but is a pretty avid Hawkeye fan.
I also know a guy who is a Purdue grad but roots for ND in football and IU in b-ball.
I have never been able to understand how/why someone supports a school other than the one they attended. Mind you, I don't think it is wrong or bad, I just don't get it. And I don't mean the folks who went to smaller colleges like Wartburg or Drake or what have you; I totally understand why those grads support Iowa and I love them for it.
But attending & graduating from one BCS-conference school and rooting for another, that's a puzzler. It would be like me rooting for illannoy :mad:, even though I graduated from Iowa. :confused:

I am with you. I had very little sports exposure as my family wasn't big into sports. I had no push either way. My uncles went to ISU but they weren't around a lot and I didn't take any of their other favorites. I was always a huge Michigan fan but I always rooted for the Cyclones. Once I attended ISU my fandom went into overdrive. As for the above, I totally agree. I don't understand how a person goes to a school and then actively roots against them all of the time. I know someone like that. I don't even get not rooting for them when they play Iowa. People can do what they want but I just don't understand why. Maybe I just feel this attachment to my alma mater that others don't.

I really do think that overall the majority of ISU fans "hate" Iowa. I mean "hate" them. Yes, we have our share of Cyclone haters but I think for the most part we simply find the Cyclones to be that annoying school in Ames with lots of farm animals. Do I cheer for ISU? Never. But, I don't hate them. In my circle of friends -- the ones who I consider diehards Cyclone fans -- they all hate Iowa -- with a passion.
This is pretty much false, regardless of what your anecdotal evidence might say. Just based on these boards I'd say the number of people on each side that hate the other is pretty even.

But, I honestly think that hate does come from being the underdog for so long. ISU is a nice school but it will never be among the big boys in college football. Smaller stadium; smaller athletic budget; smaller fan base ... and 100 or so years of really what amounts to average football. With a 492–584–47 all time record and about 9 or 10 bowl appearances, it probably is hard for them to watch Iowa be on national television every week and appear in bowl games on a consistent basis. Having the chance to "knock off" Iowa gives them something to be proud of I guess -- even if it means coming out the following week and dropping a game to Army or some school like that.
This is largely true I'd say. I also would say some of the angst towards the Hawks comes from how the Hawkeye community as a whole treats the ISU community, of course you're going to want to beat the guy that keeps putting you down.

ISU wants what Iowa has -- bowl appearances, rowdy stadium (every game; not just once or twice a year), national television and national recognition. It's a long history of playing second best to the University of Iowa ... Every once in a while ISU will sneak into a bowl game (of course, now there are like 50 bowl games) but in football, they will never be a power ... But, beating Iowa -- for many of them -- makes their year and helps them get through the rest of what usually amounts to a very average season.
Generally true as well, except for a few mid level bowl games we haven't had much to look forward to for football season, so you hang your hat on what you can get. I do wish ISU had what Iowa had, as far as support and money and history and success, but I don't base my choice of which team to cheer for on who has more money or history or success, so it's pretty much a moot point.

ISU fans are interesting. I can attest to it because I graduated from there in the early 90s (hey, I liked their journalism school). I really do think that overall the majority of ISU fans "hate" Iowa. I mean "hate" them. Yes, we have our share of Cyclone haters but I think for the most part we simply find the Cyclones to be that annoying school in Ames with lots of farm animals. Do I cheer for ISU? Never. But, I don't hate them. In my circle of friends -- the ones who I consider diehards Cyclone fans -- they all hate Iowa -- with a passion. I honestly can't even talk to them about Iowa. Now, I don't like ISU but I can carry on a civil conversation about the Cyclones. But, I honestly think that hate does come from being the underdog for so long. ISU is a nice school but it will never be among the big boys in college football. Smaller stadium; smaller athletic budget; smaller fan base ... and 100 or so years of really what amounts to average football. With a 492–584–47 all time record and about 9 or 10 bowl appearances, it probably is hard for them to watch Iowa be on national television every week and appear in bowl games on a consistent basis. Having the chance to "knock off" Iowa gives them something to be proud of I guess -- even if it means coming out the following week and dropping a game to Army or some school like that.

If ISU fans and players were as motivated as they are for the Iowa game, Jack Trice would be rocking and the Cyclones might actually have a decent record. Yes, season tickets sales at ISU are on the rise ... However, consider they also offer a $99 season tickets. Imagine if Iowa offered a $99 season ticket for a portion of the seats at Kinnick? We still sell out ... In fact we now regularly sell 60,000 season tickets at $350 a pop.

Do I hate Iowa? Yes. Do I hold having a chance to beat Iowa as the highlight of the year? No. Is it the most fun weekend of the football season? Yes.

I would agree and disagree with you. Me hating Iowa has nothing to do with what I wish we were. It has to do with this being a rivalry. Rival teams fanbases hate each other. It's how it needs to be. Michigan hates OSU. Auburn hates ALabama. WVU hates Pitt. On and on even with more lopsided rivalries such as this one. Do I wish harm upon the Iowa fanbase or team? No, of course not. I don't hate Hawk fans (well some but it has more to do with their general douchiness moreso than their fandom). I don't think the hate is actually a real thing. I just think it's what you do in a rivalry.

I have friends and relatives that are rabid Hawkeye fans, and I can carry on very cogent and cordial conversations with them. Matter of fact, I usually know more about the Hawkeye teams than they do, as they are much more casual fans. But we are civil and only give good-natured ribbing.

That doesn't happen here or very many places on the internet. People, and Iowans in particular, are pretty good people face-to-face, no matter their team affiliation.

Well there's only one of me, but I think I covered most everything I wanted to.

uh,uh, uh,uh, uh, uh, uh, uh......get yo frands, get yo neighbors to buy 'em sum saison tackets. need more saison tacket hoarders.....pretty soons, y'all won't be able to getchi um a saison tacket y'all.

get lost.