HN 2013 On the Record: Football Prediction

Ok what the hell. I just spent $1500 on Iowa City plane fare for a 48 hour weekend MSU game so I'll predict:
Iowa starts 6-0. (Only possible if the team has actual offense. Lets hope).

Then splits its last six to go 9-3.
Lets hope for a WR or two to emerge and that GDGD is not a complete failure.

May want to consider getting a $1500 refund and spend that on mental health counseling.

FreedComanche

low-hanging-fruit-dilbert3.jpg

8-4 and we add a bowl victory to end the year at 9 - 4 the new, young, blood, on the coaching staff get these athletes playing mean, nasty inspired football. The taste of last years epic meltdown weighs heavy in the minds of the veteran leaders on this team and plays are made to win games instead of lose games. I don't think this team is as far off as many people would like to think.

If we get 9 wins this year Kirk will be coach of the year in the Big and will be given serious consideration for national coach of the year.

May want to consider getting a $1500 refund and spend that on mental health counseling.

FreedComanche

Nah. Daughter wants to go to her first Iowa game and old friends from college will be there as well. And of course there will be beer.
Games sure are expensive though. And we haven't even bought tickets!

I think NIU is picked to win the MAC again this year. Could be wrong about that. Anyway, I have the hawks losing to them. Jordan Lynch is very good and is the sort of qb that has always given the hawks D fits.

FreedComanche

I could very well be wrong but I don't see the big concern over NIU. Lynch is good but I don't think people are remembering last year's game correctly.

I have linked to the stats below. NIU had 201 Yards in TOTAL OFFENSE for the game. 73 yards came on one long TD run by Lynch.

Let's look at Lynch's stats. He ran 18 times for 119 NET yards. Again, 73 yards on one play. Passing, he was 6 of 16 for 54 yards. Almost half (25 yards) came on one pass completion. Yeah, he really tore us apart last year! Other than the big run by Lynch, our Defense controlled that game.

It is pretty much accepted that last year was one of the worst Iowa teams in a decade especially on the offensive side of the ball. It will hard for us to be worse on offense this year and many expect a step forward given the depth we have at OL, RB and TE. QB and WR are big question marks but can they be any worse than last year? With one more year in the Greg Davis system and the returning starters and depth that we have, it is hard not to project that we will be better on offense this year. I also think NIU lost 7 starters from last year's defense.

On defense, I think there is also reason for optimism and improvement. Many returning starters and increase size, depth and experience on the DL are cause for optimism. Again, except for one long run by Lynch, our defense controlled the game last year. Why do we think NIU will have so much more success against us this year?

We beat NIU on a neutral field last year, therefore, with everything stated above, why do people think they have a better shot at beating us on our home field this year?

Again, I could be wrong but I would not be shocked if we beat them by 10+ points this year. Regardless, I am getting excited for Hawkeye Football and can't wait for the season to start to see what unfolds!

Iowa Official Athletic Site - Football

I could very well be wrong but I don't see the big concern over NIU. Lynch is good but I don't think people are remembering last year's game correctly.

I have linked to the stats below. NIU had 201 Yards in TOTAL OFFENSE for the game. 73 yards came on one long TD run by Lynch.

Let's look at Lynch's stats. He ran 18 times for 119 NET yards. Again, 73 yards on one play. Passing, he was 6 of 16 for 54 yards. Almost half (25 yards) came on one pass completion. Yeah, he really tore us apart last year! Other than the big run by Lynch, our Defense controlled that game.

It is pretty much accepted that last year was one of the worst Iowa teams in a decade especially on the offensive side of the ball. It will hard for us to be worse on offense this year and many expect a step forward given the depth we have at OL, RB and TE. QB and WR are big question marks but can they be any worse than last year? With one more year in the Greg Davis system and the returning starters and depth that we have, it is hard not to project that we will be better on offense this year. I also think NIU lost 7 starters from last year's defense.

On defense, I think there is also reason for optimism and improvement. Many returning starters and increase size, depth and experience on the DL are cause for optimism. Again, except for one long run by Lynch, our defense controlled the game last year. Why do we think NIU will have so much more success against us this year?

We beat NIU on a neutral field last year, therefore, with everything stated above, why do people think they have a better shot at beating us on our home field this year?

Again, I could be wrong but I would not be shocked if we beat them by 10+ points this year. Regardless, I am getting excited for Hawkeye Football and can't wait for the season to start to see what unfolds!

Iowa Official Athletic Site - Football

Sure hope you are right. I don't like this match up for the hawks because Lynch is: A) a dual threat qb, B) is good and has one more year experience from last year when the hawks did a decent job of containing him, C) almost their whole 0-line is back, D) their probably is not the "big 10 intimidating a mac team" factor this year as their probably was last year.

FreedComanche

Nah. Daughter wants to go to her first Iowa game and old friends from college will be there as well. And of course there will be beer.
Games sure are expensive though. And we haven't even bought tickets!

Please forgive me. Who in the world am I to rain on anybody's parade?

FreedComanche

Sure hope you are right. I don't like this match up for the hawks because Lynch is: A) a dual threat qb, B) is good and has one more year experience from last year when the hawks did a decent job of containing him, C) almost their whole 0-line is back, D) their probably is not the "big 10 intimidating a mac team" factor this year as their probably was last year.

I don't know what game you watched last year, but NIU certainly didn't seem intimidated.

I don't even like to think about predicting any game a t this point. I'm still recovering from last year. It's been a long time since I felt this uneasy about the season ahead. But that's just the PTSD talking I hope. The best predicting I can give is say we'll be better then last year.

I don't even like to think about predicting any game a t this point. I'm still recovering from last year. It's been a long time since I felt this uneasy about the season ahead. But that's just the PTSD talking I hope. The best predicting I can give is say we'll be better then last year.

two posts? no way! post more, and make a prediction. if you're wrong, no one will remember. but if you're right, you can brag about it on here for years.

two posts? no way! post more, and make a prediction. if you're wrong, no one will remember. but if you're right, you can brag about it on here for years.

Well thank you for being so welcoming. I would post more but my mom hates the sound the phone makes when the internets are running so I try to keep my time online to a minimum. I hate it when she yells.

Latest posts