Here is next season's schedule and what we lose

So, if we extrapolate ur logic, Hawks could miss 12 plays, lose every game by a field goal or less, and still be a decent team? Cmon, Dean.

The pick at Penn State, the overthrow at Penn State, the touched punt, 9 of every 10 passes being high or behind the receiver, the shitty clock management, the multiple silly passes with first downs inside the 10 yard line, the stupid overplay by the safeties and backers, the lack of aggressiveness...those are not plays that “went against us” those were plays that were directly caused by us! Iowa is doing what a typical KirkFer coached Iowa team does - squander opportunities and find ways to lose winnable games.

The fact that mostly average (rbs, back 7 on d, ol) to below average (Stanley and every wr) players return doesn’t translate to a better record, it just solidifies being average to below average, which is exactly 5 to 7 wins. Your and Winless’ and Skinnys’ logic for 10 wins is nothing more than hopeful speculation.
Huh mate??? You referring to mwah??

I believe you missed my sarcasm. I can guaran-ass-tee ya we ain't winning 10 games next year.

Too early to predict due to possible injuries, transfers and coaching changes, (Ok I am joking about that last one), but I would bet our victory total will be closer to 6 than 10.

Huh mate??? You referring to mwah??

I believe you missed my sarcasm. I can guaran-ass-tee ya we ain't winning 10 games next year.

Too early to predict due to possible injuries, transfers and coaching changes, (Ok I am joking about that last one), but I would bet our victory total will be closer to 6 than 10.

Sorry, Man - I completely missed by lumping you in with the others. Meant Adam and Nike21
(I don't even include guys like Clinton-KinnickHawk. I mean, I'm cool with reasonable, substantiated optimism but I can't tolerate blind PollyAnna - that's just plain goofy.)

To those guys ... you always speculate improvement simply because they're older, or are big, or have played a lot. I don't discount experience and measurables but look at every key position and tell me where there is any evidence that improvement has, let alone, will, happen ...
Stanley - Not even debatable he's worse in year 2.
Trifs / Jackson - at best, stagnant to slightly worse in year 2 and the entire interior will be replaced

IKM / Young / Sargent - pretty average and still miss the cut hole. I can see some improvement here.

WR - #6 is still terrible in year 2; Smith is showing some promise; most reliable #84 is gone.

TE - Are both going to leave?:eek: Not a frickin' chance you're "better" at that position in 2019.

DL - Huge loss of tall Nelson and, even losing a couple more, I still think it will hold it's own. That indicates same,
not improvement.

LB - Prolly the most likely position to improve by experience, alone. However, Jones still has zero discipline and no clue in pass defense as a junior and the musical chairs makes predicting this completely speculative. Most of the Polly's sight the young guys, with marginal experience, as improving the position?

DB - If Hooker stays and get rid of Gervase for Stone, the Safeties will be solid. Hooker has improved. Stone shows promise. I can certainly buy into improvement by Moss and Brents and #11 and the others that got bumped.

So, we have most experienced positions being stagnant or regressed - QB, OL, RB, WR, we are hopeful that the LB's and CB's improve just based on playing experience, we hope there's no drop-off in the DL, and we have new bodies in 60% of the OL and 50-100% of the TE's. We haven't even broached the 2-decades long database of strategical blunders by the coaches that are ever present. To top it off, the schedule is much tougher.
Yet, Deano, Adam, Winless, et al somehow are computing this into 9-10 wins? o_O:confused:o_O:confused:

On defense, we need to be more aggressive in the last 5 minutes. Either let them score right away, so we have enough time to respond or stop them. On offense, we need to practice 2 minute drills and scenarios. It’s a part of the game that we need to get better at and KF needs to acknowledge that.

Totally agree. A blitz here or there trying to get a negative play or rush an incompletion. Hey, most D Coord dont blitz if they dont want to give up the big play but the Hawk pass defense gave up 6 big pass plays or penalties on deep pass plays anyway.

ON offense not only the 2 minute drill when they are behind but the hawks really need to work on the 4 and 6 minute drills when they are ahead like last Saturday. get the ball with 8 minutes or 6 minutes to go and damn near use up all the clock with safe passes and good runs

Sorry, Man - I completely missed by lumping you in with the others. Meant Adam and Nike21
(I don't even include guys like Clinton-KinnickHawk. I mean, I'm cool with reasonable, substantiated optimism but I can't tolerate blind PollyAnna - that's just plain goofy.)

To those guys ... you always speculate improvement simply because they're older, or are big, or have played a lot. I don't discount experience and measurables but look at every key position and tell me where there is any evidence that improvement has, let alone, will, happen ...
Trifs / Jackson - at best, stagnant to slightly worse in year 2 and the entire interior will be replaced

IKM / Young / Sargent - pretty average and still miss the cut hole. I can see some improvement here.

WR - #6 is still terrible in year 2; Smith is showing some promise; most reliable #84 is gone.

TE - Are both going to leave?:eek: Not a frickin' chance you're "better" at that position in 2019.

DL - Huge loss of tall Nelson and, even losing a couple more, I still think it will hold it's own. That indicates same,
not improvement.

LB - Prolly the most likely position to improve by experience, alone. However, Jones still has zero discipline and no clue in pass defense as a junior and the musical chairs makes predicting this completely speculative. Most of the Polly's sight the young guys, with marginal experience, as improving the position?

DB - If Hooker stays and get rid of Gervase for Stone, the Safeties will be solid. Hooker has improved. Stone shows promise. I can certainly buy into improvement by Moss and Brents and #11 and the others that got bumped.

So, we have most experienced positions being stagnant or regressed - QB, OL, RB, WR, we are hopeful that the LB's and CB's improve just based on playing experience, we hope there's no drop-off in the DL, and we have new bodies in 60% of the OL and 50-100% of the TE's. We haven't even broached the 2-decades long database of strategical blunders by the coaches that are ever present. To top it off, the schedule is much tougher.
Yet, Deano, Adam, Winless, et al somehow are computing this into 9-10 wins? o_O:confused:o_O:confused:

Well your still incorrectly lumping because I never predicted 9 or 10 wins next year.

Please. Allow me to really frame the light correctly to paint this portrait of poor character.
If we're going to make random character assassinations of people we don't know on a message board, you strike me as a white knight type only for 20 year old dudes. A little weird IMO but you do you.

You were being a dumbass and saying we haven't improved at all this season when it's pretty obvious this year's team is quite a bit better than last year's. The last two games have been painful, but this year's team still has a shot at 10 wins.
You're the dumb ass. I call you a dumb ass because that's what I think of you. Dumb ass!!
andrew%2Bdice%2Bclay%2B1990%2Bthe%2Badventures%2Bof%2Bford%2Bfairlane%2Bsunglasses.jpg

I think we need the light bulb to come on for a few.
If that had been the case already, we would be undefeated.
It's not one position group, itsi all of them.
Every group has had their part in the losses, they truly have lost as a team.
There is room for game plan Improvement, but over all it's been better.
Some head scratching plays, but we asked for and they are playing to win.
As many freshman that have started the last two years, we better see some light bulbs going off the end of this year and off season.

How many d

We do generate pass rush on a majority of passing attempts. I feel (with no metrics to back it up) that we get it almost everytime that it is a known passing down. Some of those limit the amount of progressions the QB can make, but we are breaking down on the offenses hot route. Every QB going against us right now is locating the Mike and reading the high saftey at snap. We are giving the easy read up way too often. That comes from inexperience. Hopefully that starts to click and we can start jumping those routes.
I was talking specifically about Saturday's game. It didn't seem like we got much pass rush. I could be mistaken.

not improvement.

Wtf did I say? I’ve been very critical of Ferentz since I started posting on this board.

I’m an analytical person. I understand that one game doesn’t tell the entire story. Every computer model I use (mostly for sports betting) has Iowa as a better team than our west foes (Purdue, Wisconsin, NW). We are as high as 9th in Sagarin. Sometimes in football the game doesn’t break your way, and at times KF is to blame for that no question.

I think next years team returns more than any team I can remember, on paper I think they should be better than this years team.

Does Iowa have issues? No question, but they do have quite a bit of talent. I like the potential of the guys they return. The schedule as pointed out by many on here will be a challenge.

Do other teams in the west not have concerns? UW lost to BYU at home. Purdue lost to E Michigan at home. NW lost to Akron and Duke at home.

So no I’m not going to throw a pity party with the rest of you guys talking about how Iowa will lose every game they play.

It sucks we couldn’t close out some of these games due to coaching and crappy play. It really does. But I still think we should return what looks like a very quality team next year.

We can all piss and moan and make our predictions, but isn't it just safe to assume we will be 7-5? I mean sure we might have a magical year once in awhile but it doesn't look to be coming anytime soon. With the schedule we have, it's probably going to be another 7-5 year, similar to this year and most other years under KF. It's just who we are.

I was talking specifically about Saturday's game. It didn't seem like we got much pass rush. I could be mistaken.

Ok I get it. I will say I saw at least 5 specific instances where our crashing DE was tackled to the ground. It maybe an excuse and we know the peeps don't like excuses around here. I just have a hard time evaluating QB pressure when holding is running rampant.

Ok I get it. I will say I saw at least 5 specific instances where our crashing DE was tackled to the ground. It maybe an excuse and we know the peeps don't like excuses around here. I just have a hard time evaluating QB pressure when holding is running rampant.
Our pass rush has been pretty good for the most part, this season.

We can all piss and moan and make our predictions, but isn't it just safe to assume we will be 7-5? I mean sure we might have a magical year once in awhile but it doesn't look to be coming anytime soon. With the schedule we have, it's probably going to be another 7-5 year, similar to this year and most other years under KF. It's just who we are.

7-5 is my floor gut feeling for next season. Probably leaning a little towards 8-4. I will quickly bump my hopes up to 10 to 12 wins after we start 2-0 and beat ISU in Ames. The hopes will quickly be crushed with the brutal B1G opening schedule we have.

If we're going to make random character assassinations of people we don't know on a message board, you strike me as a white knight type only for 20 year old dudes. A little weird IMO but you do you.

Thanks for permission.

Latest posts