Here is next season's schedule and what we lose

lightning1

Road games: ISU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern & Nebraska
Home games with Penn State , Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Miami (Ohio), Rutgers, Mid Tenn St.
Starters/Contributors graduating
KR/PR - Groeneweg
S - Gervase
LB/ST - Mends
DE - Hesse
FB - Kelly
MLB - Hockaday
OG - Reynolds
C - Render
OG - Ferguson
WR - Easley
DT - Brinks
K - Recinos
DT - Matt Nelson
DE - Anthony Nelson
SS - Hooker

TE - Fant
TE - Hockenson
That's 6 starters on offense and 7 on defense.
What are the predictions for next season's win/loss record? I think 7-5 is likely.

Last edited:
That is a very tough schedule. The coaches need to come up with some better run blocking, receiving and pass game, more varied defense and mix in some blitzing. The hawks could be underdogs in all 5 road games.

The hawks can win all the home games just looking at them now but that would be 7-5

That is a very tough schedule. The coaches need to come up with some better run blocking, receiving and pass game, more varied defense and mix in some blitzing. The hawks could be underdogs in all 5 road games.

The hawks can win all the home games just looking at them now but that would be 7-5
PSU and Purdue at home are not gimmes by any stretch of the imagination. We lost both of those games last season.

Road games: ISU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern & Nebraska
Home games with Penn State , Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Miami (Ohio), Rutgers, Mid Tenn St.
Starters/Contributors graduating
KR/PR - Groeneweg
S - Gervase
LB/ST - Mends
DE - Hesse
FB - Kelly
MLB - Hockaday
OG - Reynolds
C - Render
OG - Ferguson
WR - Easley
DT - Brinks
K - Recinos
DT - Matt Nelson
TE - Fant (he's leaving early, so don't get your hopes up).
That's 5 starters on offense and 5 on defense.
What are the predictions for next season's win/loss record? I think 7-5 is likely.

I am more bullish on next year actually. Here is how I see it:

Secondary: Lose Gervase (We have more talented young players behind him, we won't miss a beat) . We will be even better next year in the secondary.

LB: Lose Mends/Hockaday (We have some pretty good young LB talent in the program right now). Expect Benson and Doyle to really push for starting spots. If Jones holds them off he could have the special Sr. season we see so often at Iowa.

DL: Lose Nelson/Brinks/Hesse (We have so much young talent at the DL position right now) . Eppy/Gholston/Nixon/Lindenbaum/Shannon will step in and we will be good.

OL: Lose Render/Reynolds (We lost a lot more talent last year and have been fine)

TE: Lose Fant (Yeah it will hurt, but we still have plenty of talent at the TE position in the program)

WR: Lose Easley (Smith/Smith/Tracey) I think WR actually become weapons next year.

I really only see us losing strength in one position group next year and that being TE. Yet even if we are worse there, it is still an over strength over what other teams can do at the TE position. @lightning1 I do agree, that the schedule is tougher next year, but I think we are better next year. I see 9-3 or better actually. Obviously a lot depends on what kind of attrition we see, etc.

Pretty much all of our departures appear to be replaceable, with proven guys behind them (except maybe Oline). Our defense should be very good again (yesterday not withstanding). Offense should be solid but need more consistency.

The one departure I worry about is Hankins, because our depth there is suddenly in trouble. DJ Johnson might emerge.

I think Iowa might be a favorite in the West next year although the schedule is a bit challenging.

PSU and Purdue at home are not gimmes by any stretch of the imagination. We lost both of those games last season.

I know, PSU without a Mcsorley and Barkley at Kinnick right now I think the hawks can win but PSU's defense is usually faster and more athletic than most the hawks face. Blough will be gone at PU and maybe many others but their defense is young. Coaching mistakes and decisions had as much to do with losing to Purdue these past two games.

Hawks to rebuild a dependable running game like the big boys have.

Our defense should be very strong next year with Eppy, Golston, ANelson, Nixon and Lattimore on the DL. Our corners should be better with another year. Losing Hockaday will be addition by subtraction. On offense we really need a WR to compliment B Smith.

Pretty much all of our departures appear to be replaceable, with proven guys behind them (except maybe Oline). Our defense should be very good again (yesterday not withstanding). Offense should be solid but need more consistency.

The one departure I worry about is Hankins, because our depth there is suddenly in trouble. DJ Johnson might emerge.

I think Iowa might be a favorite in the West next year although the schedule is a bit challenging.
We'll be favored to win the West? I'll have to see that to believe it. I see 4 or 5 conference losses next season.

But really I am not that interested in next year yet. This team can and should reach 9-3 and a bowl game would give them a very nice 10 win season. After that the coaches need to rethink the offensive line and running game, should Iowa go to 330 pound Off linemen and more power blocking? Does the defense need to go with more varied blitz packages against the passing teams like PU and jNW.

7-5. Tougher schedule. Need some interior line improvement for sure
Polosek is not getting it done with the OL. People can point to whatever they want but when we need to grind out a few 1st downs on the ground to close out games we are leading in, we have not been able to get it done. OL and WR are our weakest position groups. WR has always been a weak position group for KF but that's hardly ever been the case with the OL. Until recently. This could be the 3rd year in a row that we haven't had an OL drafted. That hasn't happened since KF first 3 seasons (99-2001).

We'll be favored to win the West? I'll have to see that to believe it. I see 4 or 5 conference losses next season.
Most of the sites I use rank Iowa as a top 20 team. Let’s not forget we are about three plays from being undefeated right now. To me we will be a little better on paper next year. The schedule will be a challenge no question.

I'll say it right now! We will not and I repeat not win one of those road games next year point blank. And as much as I fricken can't stand the thought it's the first one we're going to lose will show the future of two programs and unfortunately Hawk fans hard for many of us to digest but I think we all know as long as we're truthful with ourselves we have a win at the second of this season that would be loss if playing it right now. I have a feeling that unfortunately this program is going to be seeing 6-6 seasons in the future for sometime now. I hate it, can't stand to admit it, but the reality is coming.

I don't wish an injury, but would love to see Kallenberger get some time at left or right guard. We lose the interior of a line that is average to begin with.

There seems to have been a slight uptick in emphasizing athleticism at the skill positions, and I include defensive secondary in the term skill positions. There is also a slight emphasis in playing the most athletic player, not necessarily the most experienced. We will see if that pays off next year as athletic players will have another year of playing experience under their belts and maybe learn how to win some of these close games we're losing.

Reicinos has quietly had an effective year. I posted yesterday that he might get a chance to win it. He will have to be replaced.

It's common knowledge that Fant is probably gone, despite his three game TD drought. I'm concerned that Hooker may be as well. THAT would be a big loss. He reminds me of Jay Norvell from the mid eighties teams.

Our defense should be very strong next year with Eppy, Golston, ANelson, Nixon and Lattimore on the DL. Our corners should be better with another year. Losing Hockaday will be addition by subtraction. On offense we really need a WR to compliment B Smith.
B Smith can't catch a cold. He looks the part but he hasn't developed.

I don't wish an injury, but would love to see Kallenberger get some time at left or right guard. We lose the interior of a line that is average to begin with.

There seems to have been a slight uptick in emphasizing athleticism at the skill positions, and I include defensive secondary in the term skill positions. There is also a slight emphasis in playing the most athletic player, not necessarily the most experienced. We will see if that pays off next year as athletic players will have another year of playing experience under their belts and maybe learn how to some of these classes games we're losing.

Reicinos has quietly had an effective year. I posted yesterday that he might get a chance to win it. He will have to be replaced.

It's common knowledge that Fant is probably gone, despite his three game TD drought. I'm concerned that Hooker may be as well. THAT would be a big loss. He reminds me of Jay Norvell from the mid eighties teams.
I think Hockenson would get drafted high. Probably in the late 2nd or early 3rd round. If he leaves we are completely screwed on offense.

I think Hockenson would get drafted high. Probably in the late 2nd or early 3rd round. If he leaves we are completely screwed on offense.
Can sophomores declare? Or is he a redshirt sophomore? He must be draft eligible because several have pointed out that he may go NFL.:(

Can sophomores declare? Or is he a redshirt sophomore? He must be draft eligible because several have pointed out that he may go NFL.:(
He redshirted in 2016, according to his Bio. He'd be stupid to stay if he would get drafted in the top 3 rounds. I think he would be drafted in the top 3 rounds. Where would this offense be if Easley, Fant and Hockenson left? That's a disturbing thought.

6-6...really. LOL. You realize we are a few plays away from being undefeated and we have 17 of 21 starters back next year. Banwart started yesterday. Paulson played too. Kallenberger played in the first game and did very, very well for a freshman. Our OL has protected very well all year. Losing Reynolds and Render hurts, but Banwart will slide into the center role and you have four or five guys sitting in the wings on the OL. We will be fine there.

On defense...we are going to be much better. True freshmen corners...are going to make a leap with another offseason and they will be more physical. Hooker and Stone on the back end will be fine. I really think Stone is going to have some competition from Ojemudia moving to safety, Craddieth, and others. At LB, we are stacked...Welsh and Colbert are already very good and have improved so much. Neiman comes back...Jones is back...and then you have the freshmen...Benson and Doyle. The DL is going to be very, very good and better than this year...with more size. AJ, A. Nelson, and Golston all come back...plus Lattimore. Nixon, Shannon and Linderbaum will all be very good.

Tough schedule...but I find it hard to believe we lose any home games. Won't happen. ISU...is improved...but with our defense being better next year...more experienced...hard to believe they are going to score more points. Our entire skill position set is back.

10-2 is the worst I see.

Latest posts