Here is next season's schedule and what we lose

Sad. 3 Playmakers gone from the offense. Going to be tough to get above 20 TDs this year!

Decided to edit this. Losing from defense. Both Nelson's. Hooker and Hockaday. Render, Reynolds, Ferguson, from the offensive line. Cupboards not bare. But....

Last edited:
I’m less scared of this schedule now than I was at the start of the season. The games I thought were going to be hard are looking easier because of graduates and defections (Iowa St., Michigan, Penn St., & Wisconsin). However, their are a lot of games that are on the schedule against programs that look like they are getting better (Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Minnesota).

Looks like 8-4 again.... but I’m guessing 8 wins for the next 6 years too.

It will be difficult to replace the players leaving early. It could be a long season, and difficult to make a bowl game.

I’m less scared of this schedule now than I was at the start of the season. The games I thought were going to be hard are looking easier because of graduates and defections (Iowa St., Michigan, Penn St., & Wisconsin). However, their are a lot of games that are on the schedule against programs that look like they are getting better (Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Minnesota).

Your first point is a great one. We know what Iowa loses because we are Iowa fans, and no question our losses are substantial, but many of these teams have losses as well.

Michigan- As usual they were overrated this year, but their defense was very strong. Thing is they lose all their best defensive players.

Wisconsin- I firmly believe we were a better team this year. Their strength was their Oline and they lose their 3 best. They also lose there best defenseive player (Edwards) and best pass rusher (Van Ginkel).

Penn State- Again I believe we were a better team this year. They lose their 3 year QB and 1,200 + yard runningback.

Iowa State - I don’t really care but they lose Montgomery and Butler.

ISU had one good win this year and all of a sudden they are Alabama.. Amazed at how many Hawk fans are cowering in fear of the mighty Cyclones. How pathetic. Hell, they struggled to beat Drake. They had a decent year in a conference with a bunch of average teams. They have a qb that was good against the soft defenses of the Big 12.
They lost their "throw it up and hope" receiver in Butler and their do everything back in Montgomery. My God, make them have a few good seasons before annointing them. Back to back 8-5 seasons. WoooHoooo!

Totally this ^^. The Big 12 is rubbish. OU and Texas were only above avg, probably overrated when you saw them play against teams with a defense. Iowa State is doing well in that league because they play some pretty above avg defense and they tackle and they have some offense. I wish I had a dollar for every missed and bad tackling form in that league.

ISU might not have as much offense next year. The Hawk defense can travel well to Jack Trice and should be able to pressure the qb and stop the run pretty well. If ISU's offensive line does not improve much then the hawk front 7 has a distinct advantage. And we should have experienced cover guys.

I think to win in Ames it will be up to the hawk offense to score more or less their average around 24+ points.

Totally this ^^. The Big 12 is rubbish. OU and Texas were only above avg, probably overrated when you saw them play against teams with a defense. Iowa State is doing well in that league because they play some pretty above avg defense and they tackle and they have some offense. I wish I had a dollar for every missed and bad tackling form in that league.

ISU might not have as much offense next year. The Hawk defense can travel well to Jack Trice and should be able to pressure the qb and stop the run pretty well. If ISU's offensive line does not improve much then the hawk front 7 has a distinct advantage. And we should have experienced cover guys.

I think to win in Ames it will be up to the hawk offense to score more or less their average around 24+ points.
I think what amazes me about the Big 12 Defenses is the number of blown coverages. So many times there are players 15-20 yards wide open, I just don't understand how it happens so often in that league. We know it isn't because they are stacked with good players because the B12 has struggled the last few years to put players in the NFL.

I think what amazes me about the Big 12 Defenses is the number of blown coverages. So many times there are players 15-20 yards wide open, I just don't understand how it happens so often in that league. We know it isn't because they are stacked with good players because the B12 has struggled the last few years to put players in the NFL.
The blown coverages are bad, but the tackling and pursuit angles are pathetic. Everyone in that league would rather go for the big hit than ensure the tackle, and they constantly get caught flat-footed or in horrible position. It's amazing that by playing semi-competent defense that ISU can take the mantle of the league's best defense by a large margin.

They play a lot of zone coverage like ISU because anyone playing Man defense should not be that far off their coverage. Five receivers against zone, if the QB isnt pressured, leads to some wide open receivers.

Let's see how Purdue and Northwestern are replacing basically 4 year starters at QB. I know Purdue has a decent passer coming back with some experience but he is not as mobile and maybe not as tough and Blough.

And NW is going to be very hard pressed to replace Thorson. Remember Thorson's first year was 2015 when the Hawk defense ate him up and spit him out.

Last edited:
Sad. 3 Playmakers gone from the offense. Going to be tough to get above 20 TDs this year!

Decided to edit this. Losing from defense. Both Nelson's. Hooker and Hockaday. Render, Reynolds, Ferguson, from the offensive line. Cupboards not bare. But....

The interior of the offensive line was not a strength so I’m hopeful we can stay steady or even improve there with Kallenberger and one of the Paulsens finally getting a shot.

Let's see how Purdue and Northwestern are replacing basically 4 year starters at QB. I know Purdue has a decent passer coming back with some experience but he is not as mobile and maybe not as tough and Blough.

And NW is going to be very hard pressed to replace Thorson. Remember Thorson's first year was 2015 when the Hawk defense ate him up and spit him out.

Nortwestern has Hunter Johnson. A 5 star recruit rated as the top dual threat QB in recruiting 2 years ago. He couldn’t hit the field at Clemson and redshirted this year. They will have 3 years of the most athletic QB they will ever get.

As for Purdue, I think their QB play will be better. I think Brohm would have bench Blough had Sindilar been healthier.

The interior of the offensive line was not a strength so I’m hopeful we can stay steady or even improve there with Kallenberger and one of the Paulsens finally getting a shot.
I’m hoping the interior is Mark K, Tyler L, and Barnwart. In my opinion if the Paulsen’s were good enough they would have started multiple games by now.

I’m hoping the interior is Mark K, Tyler L, and Barnwart. In my opinion if the Paulsen’s were good enough they would have started multiple games by now.

Yea that’s probably a fair point. Hopefully Tyler can catch on to OL quickly.

Your right. You would think at 320 pounds apiece those guys would dominate. They don't. This is their third year I am hoping that they make the step up to dominating this year. Iowa can't rely on the pass this year, run blocking will be a must.

Nortwestern has Hunter Johnson. A 5 star recruit rated as the top dual threat QB in recruiting 2 years ago. He couldn’t hit the field at Clemson and redshirted this year. They will have 3 years of the most athletic QB they will ever get.

As for Purdue, I think their QB play will be better. I think Brohm would have bench Blough had Sindilar been healthier.
Johnson is athletic, no doubt, but it will be very tough for NW to replace 4 years worth of starting experience from Thorson.

As for Sindelair, you sure about that? He threw 3 picks in the first half in their opener, and led their offense to a meager 19 pts against EMU. Pretty sure Blough was the better option.

Didnt know about Hunter Johnson and those QBs always give Iowa fits, or Fitz.

Latest posts