Here is next season's schedule and what we lose

Again, your DL doesn’t mean much if your coners are consistently beat and give up deep routes. All a qb needs to do is take the snap and launch it to whoever you’re picking on that particular game. Moss is the guy they can pick on. With a team like Purdue if they give Moss help, guess what? You’re giving up a defender with both Knox and Moore on the field, and Blough can run if he needs to.

Get two serviceable corners on the field, and all of a sudden you can steer their defense into a smaller window instead of them imposing their will on you. I’ll take two lockdown corners over our D-Line any day. The Big Ten isn’t up the gut football anymore.

As far as Jackson and King, the rest of their corner help were weak sauce comparatively and King/Jackson made their job easier because they had a better idea where the ball was going (away from King/Jackson). Our weakness is showing now that we don’t have a good cornerback. Mabin made a pro team but 1) that’s not always indicative of results in college and 2) he got burned a LOT and gave up a bunch of huge plays. Again, he was helped greatly by Desmond King being on the field.

Brent's is already a pretty decent CB. He is not experienced enough to be clutch yet. Was a bonehead move grabbing a handful of jersey in the endzone, but points for being in the guys hip pocket.

Moss learned another tough lesson yesterday. Play the WR not the ball when you are getting attacked repeatedly. I'm not saying don't locate the ball, but when you are struggling to keep your head above water you don't make an aggressive play for the ball on the goalline. Through all of his struggles he should come through better for it. Intense pressure forges diamonds. He needs to stay the course. It's a given that every remaining team will have at least a couple of plays to test a freshman skinny white CB.

So we get Penn State 3 years in a row. Or is it 4?

This year the team shows promise and disappointment. Next year no excuses.
3 year QB. Experienced WRs, LBs, DBs, running backs. The two big tackles will have another year to get stronger. No excuses next year.

I disagree. If we hit on all those plays, I wouldn't be saying we are a playoff team, because we aren't that good, period. At the same time just because those plays went against us, doesn't mean the team is complete garbage either.

So, if we extrapolate ur logic, Hawks could miss 12 plays, lose every game by a field goal or less, and still be a decent team? Cmon, Dean.

The pick at Penn State, the overthrow at Penn State, the touched punt, 9 of every 10 passes being high or behind the receiver, the shitty clock management, the multiple silly passes with first downs inside the 10 yard line, the stupid overplay by the safeties and backers, the lack of aggressiveness...those are not plays that “went against us” those were plays that were directly caused by us! Iowa is doing what a typical KirkFer coached Iowa team does - squander opportunities and find ways to lose winnable games.

The fact that mostly average (rbs, back 7 on d, ol) to below average (Stanley and every wr) players return doesn’t translate to a better record, it just solidifies being average to below average, which is exactly 5 to 7 wins. Your and Winless’ and Skinnys’ logic for 10 wins is nothing more than hopeful speculation.

6-6...really. LOL. You realize we are a few plays away from being undefeated and we have 17 of 21 starters back next year. Banwart started yesterday. Paulson played too. Kallenberger played in the first game and did very, very well for a freshman. Our OL has protected very well all year. Losing Reynolds and Render hurts, but Banwart will slide into the center role and you have four or five guys sitting in the wings on the OL. We will be fine there.

On defense...we are going to be much better. True freshmen corners...are going to make a leap with another offseason and they will be more physical. Hooker and Stone on the back end will be fine. I really think Stone is going to have some competition from Ojemudia moving to safety, Craddieth, and others. At LB, we are stacked...Welsh and Colbert are already very good and have improved so much. Neiman comes back...Jones is back...and then you have the freshmen...Benson and Doyle. The DL is going to be very, very good and better than this year...with more size. AJ, A. Nelson, and Golston all come back...plus Lattimore. Nixon, Shannon and Linderbaum will all be very good.

Tough schedule...but I find it hard to believe we lose any home games. Won't happen. ISU...is improved...but with our defense being better next year...more experienced...hard to believe they are going to score more points. Our entire skill position set is back.

10-2 is the worst I see.
It all depends if Stanley goes pro. Ha, ha, JK, but really it all depends on Stanley learning how to win. Hopefully he plays the rest of the season without the weight of the world on his back. Loosen up, let the ball fly. He needs to win a close game for his confidence. If not and we lose two or more to end the season the QB competition has to be open next spring.

I got 10-2. with losses to Michigan and little brother. Wisconsin I think will be down. Penn state will be worse and we get em at home. Ojemudia moving to safety to take Gervase spot, or starting hooker and stone, either way I think were good at safety. Hankins will be back and he's our best corner, plus the 2 freshmen will be even better, and brents has been legit. We continue to get better at wr. Hockenson will be back, and we got some guys at tight end. I'm not worried about the defense at all, and as long as our center is good, I feel like the oline will be good. I think keegan render is the team mvp this season. What's he had one bad snap this entire season, for a first time center? He'll be missed. Wasn't a big fan of his or Reynolds coming into this year after last year. They have both been great. I think with one more year of Stanley, the wr's, cbs, and lb's all having more experience, next year is the year. And I disagree on the difficulty of our schedule. I get other peoples point, but I guess I just look at who will be starting a new qb next year as a first year starter, and i'm not too worried. We've lost 3 games this year, all 3 to teams with senior qb's.

So we get Penn State 3 years in a row. Or is it 4?

This year the team shows promise and disappointment. Next year no excuses.
3 year QB. Experienced WRs, LBs, DBs, running backs. The two big tackles will have another year to get stronger. No excuses next year.
Silly rabbit, there's always excuses in Kirkville.

That’s a 5-7 schedule.
I agree. I don't see us winning more than 5.
I predicted 9-3 personally, and I only did that because I thought our schedule was really easy. Turns out this isn't an easy schedule so far at all. We have played the 25th ranked schedule to date, I thought our SOS was going to be in the 60's or 70's like Wisconsin's is currently.

I still think this team finishes with 8 or 9 wins.
So with a tougher schedule you think we'll win more? Serious question. I don't.
I was at 10-2. They will be 9-3...and hopefully win a bowl game.
We have two more possible losses coming up. Saying 9-3 is bankable at this point is just kool-aid poisoning kicking in.

Here's my 2019 predicion

Miami (Ohio) - W
Rutgers - W
@ISU - L
Middle Tenn - W
@Michigan - L
PSU - L
Purdue - L
@Northwestern - L
@Wisconson - L
Minnesota - W
Illinois - W
@Nebraska - L

We have two more possible losses coming up. Saying 9-3 is bankable at this point is just kool-aid poisoning kicking in.

Here's my 2019 predicion

Miami (Ohio) - W
Rutgers - W
@ISU - L
Middle Tenn - W
@Michigan - L
PSU - L
Purdue - L
@Northwestern - L
@Wisconson - L
Minnesota - W
Illinois - W
@Nebraska - L

Have we ever lost 5 conference games in a row since year 3?

Have we ever lost 5 conference games in a row since year 3?
So we have a chance to set a record. Tell me which of those games is a guaranteed win? None of them are guaranteed loses but if you're trying to call me out I disagree.

So we have a chance to set a record. Tell me which of those games is a guaranteed win? None of them are guaranteed loses but if you're trying to call me out I disagree.

I'm not calling you out. Simply don't see some new level of collapse coming. The B1G has always been tough. I don't remember a year where there were more than 1 "guaranteed win" in conference. Just because an opponent is competent does not mean we stand no chance. If that's the case why do so many people whine about playing non con cupcakes. Apparently if Iowa scheduled a real team we would lose every game. It's a weak mentality.

If you really believe that we only win 5 games next year then... ya soft. Glad the players have more mettle than our spooked self defeatist fans.

We went 4-8 out of the blue in 2012 so it wouldn't be a new level of collapse.

Fair enough. I have black and golded out the 2012 season.

Now that it's established that it could happen let's talk about why you are so sure we will suck that bad? I mean it's not like we are getting boat raced each week.

Fair enough. I have black and golded out the 2012 season.

Now that it's established that it could happen let's talk about why you are so sure we will suck that bad? I mean it's not like we are getting boat raced each week.
I know its not popular but this team has demonstrated the capacity to choke. I'm looking at next year and not seeing us win the close ones until someone prove's me otherwise.

I didn't call any toss-ups. I am force choosing W/L for every game.

• We barely beat ISU at home and they've gotten much better with some personnel changes so I don't see us winning in Ames.
  • Michigan will have a top 5 defense again next year and will smother us. And its on the road.
  • PSU I honestly think we'll choke again. It will be a close game and if we aren't up by two scores with less than 5 minute less, we lose. I'll adjust my model when I'm proven wrong.
  • Brohm has Purdue on the move. They return a generational player in Rondale Moore and they are going to move to a dual threat QB next year and are the kind of offense that is going to continue to torch us into the foreseeable future. They also are building a real defense and I expect them to be better next year.
  • Northwestern has owned us the last two years and I don't see that changing. At home I might give this one to Iowa but I think we lose. This would probably be the biggest "push" game but I said I wasn't calling any tossups.
  • Wisconsin, beat the man to be the man. We got lucky in 2015. Aside from that I will not predict a win against Wisconsin until we prove we can do it.
  • Nebraska, they are going to start Purduing us. Their offense is going to be electric and Scott Frost is going to browbeat that defense into being tough.

10-2 you have to be on drugs.
He is like Clinton light. Maybe the same guy just more analytical with this persona.

These guys don't realize KF and his brillant game management aptitude probably cost us two games per year.

And we have reached the 10 win milestone twice in the past 14 seasons. But yeah next year will be different. Let's go to 2036 sez Gar Bar!!

I know its not popular but this team has demonstrated the capacity to choke. I'm looking at next year and not seeing us win the close ones until someone prove's me otherwise.

I didn't call any toss-ups. I am force choosing W/L for every game.

• We barely beat ISU at home and they've gotten much better with some personnel changes so I don't see us winning in Ames.
  • Michigan will have a top 5 defense again next year and will smother us. And its on the road.
  • PSU I honestly think we'll choke again. It will be a close game and if we aren't up by two scores with less than 5 minute less, we lose. I'll adjust my model when I'm proven wrong.
  • Brohm has Purdue on the move. They return a generational player in Rondale Moore and they are going to move to a dual threat QB next year and are the kind of offense that is going to continue to torch us into the foreseeable future. They also are building a real defense and I expect them to be better next year.
  • Northwestern has owned us the last two years and I don't see that changing. At home I might give this one to Iowa but I think we lose. This would probably be the biggest "push" game but I said I wasn't calling any tossups.
  • Wisconsin, beat the man to be the man. We got lucky in 2015. Aside from that I will not predict a win against Wisconsin until we prove we can do it.
  • Nebraska, they are going to start Purduing us. Their offense is going to be electric and Scott Frost is going to browbeat that defense into being tough.

So not to say that any of the analysis is wrong but don't you find it funny that you assume every team Iowa plays will have maintained a high level of play or improved? Yet Iowa by your estimation will revert to a bottom dweller.

Look I get not being satisfied with 8 or 9 win seasons. I get that Kirk usually falls face first when he peers over the edge of the mountain that we are constantly climbing. I just don't get the fear that we drop that far from competition. We call him steady Kirk for a reason.

So not to say that any of the analysis is wrong but don't you find it funny that you assume every team Iowa plays will have maintained a high level of play or improved? Yet Iowa by your estimation will revert to a bottom dweller.

Look I get not being satisfied with 8 or 9 win seasons. I get that Kirk usually falls face first when he peers over the edge of the mountain that we are constantly climbing. I just don't get the fear that we drop that far from competition. We call him steady Kirk for a reason.
Give me your analysis then. We can bookmark this thread. I bet I'm much closer to being right and am willing to put money on it.

Or if you don't want to put in any actual work, at least tell me which team I said will be better that you think won't be.

Here's my 2019 predicion

Miami (Ohio) - W
Rutgers - W
@ISU - L
Middle Tenn - W
@Michigan - L
PSU - L
Purdue - L
@Northwestern - L
@Wisconson - L
Minnesota - W
Illinois - W