Hawks in the NCAA Tournament:

If we did get to 60ish, it means we finished strong. A team with a ton of underclassmen and one of the best scorers in the country who finished strong after a terrible start is the kind of team that might get in with a 60 rpi. Especially this year where they are trying to get away from rpi.

It's possible. I know it's happened before, I just wouldn't be willing to place a wager on it.

Does the committee consider "last 10"? I thought I'd heard in the past that they didn't factor that into things anymore and it was "body of work" that they looked at, but I'm not sure if that's the current philosophy. Subconsciously, though, you'd think it would still have to factor into things a little bit.

I know certain teams have tanked big time in Feb/March and were still "locks" because of their RPI and non-conference, etc. Which is why I personally think that RPI should be less of a factor, and "last 10" should be MORE of a factor. Of course the entire season should count, but the team you are in March means more (to me) than the team you were in December.

It's possible. I know it's happened before, I just wouldn't be willing to place a wager on it.

Does the committee consider "last 10"? I thought I'd heard in the past that they didn't factor that into things anymore and it was "body of work" that they looked at, but I'm not sure if that's the current philosophy. Subconsciously, though, you'd think it would still have to factor into things a little bit.

I know certain teams have tanked big time in Feb/March and were still "locks" because of their RPI and non-conference, etc. Which is why I personally think that RPI should be less of a factor, and "last 10" should be MORE of a factor. Of course the entire season should count, but the team you are in March means more (to me) than the team you were in December.

I agree. As of now "possible" is all we can realistically hope for.

No, it isn't. It puts you in range, but it's far from a lock. Very few teams have made the dance as an at large with an RPI in the 60's. You really would like to be at least in the 30's or 40's to feel good about it.

You've also gotta remember all the automatic bids, so there are nowhere near 64 spots open to at-large teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...rnament-rpi-numbers-to-know-through-the-years

Lowest RPI to get an at-large bid:
• 67 - USC (2011)
• 64 - Marquette (2011)
• 63 - North Carolina State (2005), Stanford (2007)

That article link is crap. Syracuse was 19-13 last year with an RPI of 68. They got the 10 seed in the Midwest and then ran with it all the way to the Final 4. There are others I'm just to lazy to provide more evidence. The Selection committee values the name on the jersey and track record of success. We check these boxes. I actually like our chances right now. The next 2 games will paint a clearer picture.

If we did get to 60ish, it means we finished strong. A team with a ton of underclassmen and one of the best scorers in the country who finished strong after a terrible start is the kind of team that might get in with a 60 rpi. Especially this year where they are trying to get away from rpi.
They also have the option of throwing out the losses when Cook and Jok were hurt. So there are all kinds of subjective angles the committee can play if we're close.

Note - I think our most realistic avenue is winning the BTT. And we have the depth and perimeter shooting to potentially win it IMO. We just have to shoot 50% from 3 and keep rotating the fresh bodies.

They also have the option of throwing out the losses when Cook and Jok were hurt. So there are all kinds of subjective angles the committee can play if we're close.

Note - I think our most realistic avenue is winning the BTT. And we have the depth and perimeter shooting to potentially win it IMO. We just have to shoot 50% from 3 and keep rotating the fresh bodies.

I actually think we have a better chance of going 5-2 down the stretch and winning 2 in the tourney than winning 4 in 4 days.

I actually think we have a better chance of going 5-2 down the stretch and winning 2 in the tourney than winning 4 in 4 days.
We have to win 2 out of 4 on the road in hostile environments and take care of the home court to go 5-2.

Edit - And we still have to win 2 in the BTT...already half way to my scenario of winning 4.

We are 6-5 and all alone in 6th place. So 10-8 could land us in 6th or 7th. This puts us on the opposite side of the bracket from Wisconsin. And it means winning 4 games on a neutral court rather than as a visitor...against at least 3 teams that don't scare me.

Last edited:
We have to win 2 out of 4 on the road in hostile environments and take care of the home court to go 5-2.

Edit - And we still have to win 2 in the BTT...already half way to my scenario of winning 4.

We are 6-5 and all alone in 6th place. So 10-8 could land us in 6th or 7th. This puts us on the opposite side of the bracket from Wisconsin. And it means winning 7 games on a neutral court rather than as a visitor...against at least 3 teams that don't scare me.

I see that side too.

That article link is crap. Syracuse was 19-13 last year with an RPI of 68. They got the 10 seed in the Midwest and then ran with it all the way to the Final 4. There are others I'm just to lazy to provide more evidence. The Selection committee values the name on the jersey and track record of success. We check these boxes. I actually like our chances right now. The next 2 games will paint a clearer picture.

It's not crap, it's just from last year and doesn't include Syracuse. Ok, so add Syracuse to the list.

Point remains, it's not that easy to get into the dance with an RPI in the 60's. I hope you're right, but I'm not convinced yet that the Iowa brand carries that much weight with the selection committee.

Last edited:
It's not crap, it's just from last year and doesn't include Syracuse. Ok, so add Syracuse to the list.

Point remains, it's not that easy to get into the dance with an RPI in the 60's. I hope you're right, but I'm not convinced yet that the Iowa brand carries that much weight with the selection committee.

You could be right. Let's just agree to beat the Goofers and then we can go from there.

Just looking at the schedule for this week and next (we only play one game next week). If we could somehow win all 3 games, there is a good chance we will be tied for 2nd place in the conference. I know, I know, we won't win the next 3 games....

Just looking at the schedule for this week and next (we only play one game next week). If we could somehow win all 3 games, there is a good chance we will be tied for 2nd place in the conference. I know, I know, we won't win the next 3 games....

All three are winnable games against average to slightly above average squads. 2 of them are on the road so they will be tougher for sure. However if we can play our game and not allow ourselves to get taken out of rhythm then this team has showed that they can play free of deficiencies. If we play this way we can and will beat anyone in the B1G except Wisconsin. The question with all our youth. Can we turn a hot streak into high level consistency?

All three are winnable games against average to slightly above average squads. 2 of them are on the road so they will be tougher for sure. However if we can play our game and not allow ourselves to get taken out of rhythm then this team has showed that they can play free of deficiencies. If we play this way we can and will beat anyone in the B1G except Wisconsin. The question with all our youth. Can we turn a hot streak into high level consistency?

Just for fun I filled out the Big 10 bracket generator giving us all wins. Then I found a way to get Wisconsin 5 losses too. They would just need to lose 3 road games to average teams. So you're saying there's a chance.

Also we would be the 1 seed due to head to head.

Just for fun I filled out the Big 10 bracket generator giving us all wins. Then I found a way to get Wisconsin 5 losses too. They would just need to lose 3 road games to average teams. So you're saying there's a chance.

Also we would be the 1 seed due to head to head.

Ya I just don't see us beating Whisky. If we played our best game they would only need to play a great game to beat us. There is a talent and maturity gap between our 2 programs right now, but Whisky's future is not as bright and after Happ and Hayes are gone Wisconsin will come down to earth and we will be even or better.

Ya I just don't see us beating Whisky. If we played our best game they would only need to play a great game to beat us. There is a talent and maturity gap between our 2 programs right now, but Whisky's future is not as bright and after Happ and Hayes are gone Wisconsin will come down to earth and we will be even or better.

I don't see is going 4-3. I was just looking for fun.

Fellow Hawk fans, this NCAA talk is fun and all but let's face it we need close to a miracle. Winning on the road is tough even for veteran teams let alone young teams. Iowa is going to have a tough time tonight against Minnesota, a team considered to be on the bubble.

Fellow Hawk fans, this NCAA talk is fun and all but let's face it we need close to a miracle. Winning on the road is tough even for veteran teams let alone young teams. Iowa is going to have a tough time tonight against Minnesota, a team considered to be on the bubble.

I can't imagine there is a single hawk fan that doesn't know this.

Minne is a 7-7.5 pt favorite tonight. That line seems... crazy.

Latest posts