Hawkeyes Have Good Chance with NYC PG Christian Vital

Good for Dean.
I like Fran fine, just not sure he's able to take the program any higher. And maybe that's fine, we got rid of Davis because he couldn't make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney and nearly 20 years later look how giddy most Iowa fans are to be on a 3 year tourney run.
Fran makes a lot of questionable in game coaching decisions and doesn't adhere to standard coaching 101 rules of thumb that all of the great college coaches do while also relying too much on in state recruits. I'm hopeful he's not so stubborn and changes his mind on some things, but watching games continually slip away late in games and not having a rationale explanation is beyond frustrating. At least "I trust my seniors" can't be used as an alibi next year.

Which instate player should he have passed on?

I think there are 2 ways to judge how good a coach is. One is how do they play in relation to how talented the individuals are. The other is how good do they recruit in relation to the school they're at. I would say Fran passes the first with flying colors. Every year he's been here we've been a better team than the talent would suggest. That's good coaching.

I don't think the verdict is in on recruiting yet. Using where the program is as an excuse is officially over. But I think so far he's done an at least average job for what the iowa program should typically bring in. Thatactually takes above average recruiting based on where the program was. He's had the benifit of some good instate talent. But he's also had three 1st team conference players. Now that I type this, I would say he's been above average recruiting. The question is, will it stay above average. Tyler Cook is a pretty darn good start.

Good for Dean.
I like Fran fine, just not sure he's able to take the program any higher. And maybe that's fine, we got rid of Davis because he couldn't make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney and nearly 20 years later look how giddy most Iowa fans are to be on a 3 year tourney run.
Fran makes a lot of questionable in game coaching decisions and doesn't adhere to standard coaching 101 rules of thumb that all of the great college coaches do while also relying too much on in state recruits. I'm hopeful he's not so stubborn and changes his mind on some things, but watching games continually slip away late in games and not having a rationale explanation is beyond frustrating. At least "I trust my seniors" can't be used as an alibi next year.

LOL, says the guy who's big complaint in this thread was MISSING ON AN IN STATE KID IN WASHPUN.

Clown fan extraordinaire is what you are. Talk out of both sides of your mouth (too many in state kids, oops Fran can't even identify talent in state and get them). Plus your little contrived act of crying about being critical doesn't mean you are a Clown fan. You are right, we have all been critical of the football program and basketball program myself included. What makes you a Clown fan is you root for the Clowns, and you are soft peddling all things Iowa on this board. Heck BigD is critical of a lot of things in this very thread, but we all know he is a Hawk fan.

Wow has this thread deteriorated.

I sent Christian a link to the story I wrote about him. Let's just hope he doesn't poke around the message boards.

I'm not certain when Vital originally committed to UNLV, but he did. Now he's available, again. If he wants to come to Iowa, you take him because he will make the team better. He's an excellent shooter and, from what I've seen, he could become a pg that would be no worse than MG from a ball handling perspective. But, he would be worlds better as a shooter. Imagine if MG had been a reliable shooter.

From the interview that I read, Vital seems like he would be a very good teammate. He seems like a high character kid. If he wants to come to Iowa, you'd take him because of that, as well.

As for Fran, I think many fans forget: a) how far we had sunk before his arrival and b) that we have been in 5 straight post season tournaments. We made it to the NIT in years 2 and 3 (NIT title game in year 3) and now 3 straight NCAA's. The only season we didn't make a post season tourny was Fran's first year. You may recall that Fran had to have open tryouts to find kids on campus just so he could have legitimate practices. We had 5 scholarship players when Fran got her. Don't blame the cumulative effect of Alford and Licklighter on Fran.

I'll put a plug in for my website, http://www.benched42.net/2004/11/29/interesting-statistic/

Notice the date was 2004 (I did say a few years ago). Here's the list:

• Ryan Bowen – Houston Rockets – went to Iowa; from Fort Madison, Iowa.
  • Nick Collison – Seattle Supersonics – went to Kansas; from Orange City, Iowa.
  • Kirk Hinrich – Chicago Bulls – went to Kansas; from Sioux City, Iowa.
  • Fred Hoiberg – Minnesota Timberwolves – went to Iowa State; from Ames, Iowa.
  • Kyle Korver – Philadelphia 76ers – went to Creighton; from Pella, Iowa.
  • Raef LaFrentz – Boston Celtics – went to Kansas; from Hampton, Iowa.

LaFrentz was from Monona, IA. I remember going to watch him play when he was in high school.

We finished tied for 3rd in the B1G, seeding in the B1G tournament means nothing. We actually finished tied for 3rd and by far had a tougher conference schedule than any other team that tied for 3rd.

Everyone want to win the conference, Fran wants to win the conference 1 million times more than you could ever want to win it. You see for him it is a yearly goal to strive for, that is the way it works. Yet if you think we should get rid of coaches who don't do that, you would be firing everyone. It has been what over 35 years since we won the B1G, so suggesting that if Fran can't do what Iowa hasn't done if 35+ years then he needs fired is kind of ridiculous.

You will notice I was talking about what happens the next three years. I also said "IF" these meltdowns keep on happening. I don't think anyone wants to see that happen over and over again.

I will also say this, that if we finish in third place or better next year then we have the right guy. It will take one hell of a coaching job with the inexperienced players we having coming in to finish in third place or better. I will be satisfied with just a top five finish and getting another NCAA bid. That would help heal some of the "melt down" pain. Remember I said "IF in the next three years" which means at this point I believe he absolutely has earned the right to coach that many years more to show us if the program will continue to improve. I am hopeful it will, but am also hopeful we can get by this melt down thing. If the new players are tougher that are coming in that may be just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:
I'm not certain when Vital originally committed to UNLV, but he did. Now he's available, again. If he wants to come to Iowa, you take him because he will make the team better. He's an excellent shooter and, from what I've seen, he could become a pg that would be no worse than MG from a ball handling perspective. But, he would be worlds better as a shooter. Imagine if MG had been a reliable shooter.

From the interview that I read, Vital seems like he would be a very good teammate. He seems like a high character kid. If he wants to come to Iowa, you'd take him because of that, as well.

As for Fran, I think many fans forget: a) how far we had sunk before his arrival and b) that we have been in 5 straight post season tournaments. We made it to the NIT in years 2 and 3 (NIT title game in year 3) and now 3 straight NCAA's. The only season we didn't make a post season tourny was Fran's first year. You may recall that Fran had to have open tryouts to find kids on campus just so he could have legitimate practices. We had 5 scholarship players when Fran got her. Don't blame the cumulative effect of Alford and Licklighter on Fran.

Lol, how do you forget the "water boarding" years better known as the Lickliter regime. I watched every game that was broadcast. With two regular season games left in his last year at Iowa I was besides myself when the AD came out and said he fully supported Lick. Thank God he wasn't serious.

Lol, how do you forget the "water boarding" years better known as the Lickliter regime. I watched every game that was broadcast. With two regular season games left in his last year at Iowa I was besides myself when the AD came out and said he fully supported Lick. Thank God he wasn't serious.

I thought the reason he changed his mind was because Gatens was going to leave if Lickliter stayed. I think he probably was serious at the time.

Says who? Most recruiting sites list him as a SG, some list him as a Combo guard, none as a PG. There's nothing in his highlight tape that says PG, he's only handing the ball on the wing. Like I said before, he certainly doesn't look at all athletic so he won't be taking guys off the dribble which is what we've been lacking for years.

Which of the three would you want to go into the next season with... Hutton, Fleming, or Vital?

Which of the three would you want to go into the next season with... Hutton, Fleming, or Vital?

That's easy, Vital. Fran saw Hutton and Fleming for an entire season and didn't feel they would be contributor next year. Time to try another player.

That's easy, Vital. Fran saw Hutton and Fleming for an entire season and didn't feel they would be contributor next year. Time to try another player.

I really liked Hutton's athleticism and Flemings shooting potential. I would have been happy to have either or both on the team. However, they (correctly) determined there would be a log jam for minutes at the 2 and 3 and decided to leave. There shouldn't be anywhere near a logjam at the pg spot next season and Vital combines both athleticism and shooting potential. If he chooses Iowa, it is a 1 player for 2 players upgrade for the team. I think we'd all love watching Vital scoring from the point. Again, if MG had been a consistent shooter this season, we win several more games. I'd rather the head of the snake be that of a king cobra than of a garter snake (even though the garter snakes sports the black and gold...no offense to the garter snake.)

He would be making a great decision to come to the University of Iowa. This coaching staff does a great job in helping players development, and the style of play matches his skill set very well.

Kind of a loaded question, but I'd say Hutton or Vital. Fleming just doesn't look like a fluid basketball player. We never got to see Hutton play, but by all accounts he was very athletic and if nothing else could be a defensive stopper while he developed his offensive game; he was likened to Oladipo by Indiana coaches so that's hard to ignore. Nobody's seen enough on Vital to really say for sure but his stats and athletic ability aren't impressive and I'd sooner go with a grad transfer or bank the scholarship so we can be more selective with the scholarship.

Kind of a loaded question, but I'd say Hutton or Vital. Fleming just doesn't look like a fluid basketball player. We never got to see Hutton play, but by all accounts he was very athletic and if nothing else could be a defensive stopper while he developed his offensive game; he was likened to Oladipo by Indiana coaches so that's hard to ignore. Nobody's seen enough on Vital to really say for sure but his stats and athletic ability aren't impressive and I'd sooner go with a grad transfer or bank the scholarship so we can be more selective with the scholarship.

Why didn't you answer PCHawk's question?

Which in-state player should Fran have passed on in your opinion?

Why didn't you answer PCHawk's question?

Which in-state player should Fran have passed on in your opinion?

Ogelsby for sure. Also can't see Jordan Bohannon as a B10 player, he's small and not the type of athlete. He got torched in the Minnesota tourney by a kid who's playing low D1 but was a superior athlete. Hope I'm wrong, kid can shoot just not sure he'll be able to create separation to shoot.
Haven't really seen Pemsl play but heard from High School coaches that have been less than impressed and he needs to lose some weight. Haven't seen Kreiner play or talked to anyone who has but his tape looks good, solid athlete who can pop out; Kevin Love esque.

Ogelsby for sure. Also can't see Jordan Bohannon as a B10 player, he's small and not the type of athlete. He got torched in the Minnesota tourney by a kid who's playing low D1 but was a superior athlete. Hope I'm wrong, kid can shoot just not sure he'll be able to create separation to shoot.
Haven't really seen Pemsl play but heard from High School coaches that have been less than impressed and he needs to lose some weight. Haven't seen Kreiner play or talked to anyone who has but his tape looks good, solid athlete who can pop out; Kevin Love esque.

People would have freaked out if we passed on Ogelsby. He was a highly regarded recruit. I do agree with Bohannon though, I'm skeptical on him but hopefully he proves me wrong

Latest posts