Hawkeyes Have Good Chance with NYC PG Christian Vital

The title just got me more excited than I probably should have been judging by the content of the article.it wasn't like it was "end of the Ferentz era" misleading or anything.

OK.

We need to come up with a chart so I know what words to use in headlines.

So far, if I used "good chance" in a headline, we have a vote for that needing to be 50 percent chance or better.

We need percentages for

"OK Chance"

"Pretty Good Chance"

"Excellent Chance"

"Outstanding Chance"

"Slim Chance"

"Snowball's Chance in Hell"

Please. Weight in. :)
100%- He's Coming
80%-99%- Outstanding Chance
79%-50%- Good Chance
30%-49%- Pretty Good Chance
15%-29%- Chance
5%-14%- Slim Chance
1%- 4%- So you're telling me there's a chance

You may ask, how am I suppose to tell what percent chance this kid's at??? Well Rob, that's why they pay you the big bucks ;-)

(p.s. I'm totally fine with the headline the way it is, so I guess my post is pointless)

No. I appreciate the chart and will refer to it religiously. :)

Seriously, though, I thought the kid's comments on our program and Fran were very encouraging. It's recruiting. Who knows? But it seems like we have a "good" chance based on his views of the program and head coach.

No. I appreciate the chart and will refer to it religiously. :)

Seriously, though, I thought the kid's comments on our program and Fran were very encouraging. It's recruiting. Who knows? But it seems like we have a "good" chance based on his views of the program and head coach.

So it turns out maybe the content was a little misleading more so than the title.

Is he a true PG, probably not. Do we need immediate help with ball handling, absolutely.

I for one would never be unhappy with signing a tough minded kid, who can shoot 3s. He does have a decent offer list at this point as well.

As far as our chances go, I'll feel much better if we are able to get a visit.

If you have a problem with Fran and point guards, it should be his ability to land the ones he recruits. You should have no problem with the ones he actually goes after. If you were saying you highly doubt Fran can actually land this kid, that could make a little sense. You saying you don't trust Fran for trying to get him makes no sense at all.

How about going after Wes Washpun? They made a late run at him, too late, and had ample opportunity having him play in their backyard while they offered Ogelsby (teammate) early on. We didn't even offer Monte Morris who had ties to Iowa, being Dev Marbles cousin. It's a combination of not offering the right ones and going after the wrong ones. Trey Dickerson. Brady Ellingson.
There were PG's all over the country in non P5 conferences all over the country who would have been superior to MG or AC, we don't have to try and out recruit the blue bloods for quality PG's, we just have to go after the right ones and so far we haven't.

So it turns out maybe the content was a little misleading more so than the title.

We do have a good chance to get him-20%. Compared to Villanova, Duke, UNC, Michigan St, Kansas, Kentucky-who apparently have a 0% chance. Also, when you consider Alabama is not really up there in the pantheon of college basketball and Louisville is a hot mess right now, I'd say it's higher than 20%.

And we'll know our chances are even better -33% at least- if he chooses Iowa as one of his visits.

What was misleading about the content? It was a straight news story. No opinion involved.

I was just joking. When I read the article, it sounded like Iowa was just one of 5 schools. You said his comments sounded encouraging which is good because you would know more. I trust your feel for his comments more than how I interpreted them so I was clearly wrong so that was me jokingly saving face.

We do have a good chance to get him-20%. Compared to Villanova, Duke, UNC, Michigan St, Kansas, Kentucky-who apparently have a 0% chance. Also, when you consider Alabama is not really up there in the pantheon of college basketball and Louisville is a hot mess right now, I'd say it's higher than 20%.

And we'll know our chances are even better -33% at least- if he chooses Iowa as one of his visits.

Maybe he likes strippers.

I was just joking. When I read the article, it sounded like Iowa was just one of 5 schools. You said his comments sounded encouraging which is good because you would know more. I trust your feel for his comments more than how I interpreted them so I was clearly wrong so that was me jokingly saving face.

Gotcha. Your face was not in need of saving. It's Monday. We're dealing in semantics. And it's recruiting. It's all good.

Long time NBA coach and former NBA point guard Avery Johnson coaches Alabama so I get why they are in there. If you can put up with his fingernails on a chalkboard voice kids would at least hear what he has to say.

Man, what is with some people's desire to constantly bash Fran and the basketball team? I for one think Vitale looks like a good guard and would be happy to land him. Just because Fran has missed on some guards doesn't mean Vitale won't be good. Gesell had a lot of talent he just didn't develop much, and wasn't clutch at the end of games. It's like some "fans" on here just want to criticize everything because Fran isn't batting 1.000. The program is in waaay better shape than just six seasons ago. We have some good looking recruits coming in for 2016 and 2017. Why not enjoy that instead of focusing on the negative or perceived negative?

Man, what is with some people's desire to constantly bash Fran and the basketball team? I for one think Vitale looks like a good guard and would be happy to land him. Just because Fran has missed on some guards doesn't mean Vitale won't be good. Gesell had a lot of talent he just didn't develop much, and wasn't clutch at the end of games. It's like some "fans" on here just want to criticize everything because Fran isn't batting 1.000. The program is in waaay better shape than just six seasons ago. We have some good looking recruits coming in for 2016 and 2017. Why not enjoy that instead of focusing on the negative or perceived negative?

Yes the program is in much better shape, but was there an alternative? It couldn't have possibly gotten worse, and Lick is the only one who's taken the program to that level of despair so it wouldn't have stayed there either.
We fans can appreciate Fran for what he's done so far, and also question why in six years he's only landed one high profile recruit (Tyler Cook) out of the state of Iowa, and while he's still yet to land a good BIG 10 PG. Six years is an eternity for a head coach and yet we barely have a recruiting footprint out of the state.

How about going after Wes Washpun? They made a late run at him, too late, and had ample opportunity having him play in their backyard while they offered Ogelsby (teammate) early on. We didn't even offer Monte Morris who had ties to Iowa, being Dev Marbles cousin. It's a combination of not offering the right ones and going after the wrong ones. Trey Dickerson. Brady Ellingson.
There were PG's all over the country in non P5 conferences all over the country who would have been superior to MG or AC, we don't have to try and out recruit the blue bloods for quality PG's, we just have to go after the right ones and so far we haven't.

Recruiting is an inexact science, you will never be right all the time. If Fran would have gotten Washpun, you would have been the first to complain I'd bet. He had offers from Missouri St., North Dakota, North Dakota St., South Dakota and South Dakota St. The only reason he got the Tennessee offer was because Martin left Missouri. St. and went to Tenn. Heck even Jacobson didn't offer him at the time. The other thing with Washpun was grades, he was going to be a qualifying risk. Fran did watch him, and did offer him, he just didn't get him. Like I said if he did get him, knuckleheads like you would have cried Brady Ellingson whar his other offers at!!!!! NO STARZZZZ!!!! and on and on.

Yes the program is in much better shape, but was there an alternative? It couldn't have possibly gotten worse, and Lick is the only one who's taken the program to that level of despair so it wouldn't have stayed there either.
We fans can appreciate Fran for what he's done so far, and also question why in six years he's only landed one high profile recruit (Tyler Cook) out of the state of Iowa, and while he's still yet to land a good BIG 10 PG. Six years is an eternity for a head coach and yet we barely have a recruiting footprint out of the state.

LOL, we got ourselves a new Clown troll.

For those who don't know, key Clown troll clue: Out of state recruits was the key mantra at Clownfanatics all the time. Fran can't land an out of state kid, he can't recruit, he can' land a kid outside of Iowa, blah, blah, blah.

Nevermind the fact that he was getting top 50 kids to pick Iowa over UNC. Nevermind the fact that Fran was getting top 100 (Gesell), top 125 (Ogelsby), and top 150 (Uthoff) kids to come to Iowa when they were complete garbage.

Doesn't take long to spot the Clown trolls.

LOL, we got ourselves a new Clown troll.

For those who don't know, key Clown troll clue: Out of state recruits was the key mantra at Clownfanatics all the time. Fran can't land an out of state kid, he can't recruit, he can' land a kid outside of Iowa, blah, blah, blah.

Nevermind the fact that he was getting top 50 kids to pick Iowa over UNC. Nevermind the fact that Fran was getting top 100 (Gesell), top 125 (Ogelsby), and top 150 (Uthoff) kids to come to Iowa when they were complete garbage.

Doesn't take long to spot the Clown trolls.

You're wrong, going against the masses doesn't make me a troll. Sorry, I'd just like to have more success recruiting out of a small state that historically doesn't produce a ton of basketball talent. As for Washpun, he's always been an exceptional athlete and has a 43 inch vertical, I'd take that every time over a host of guys that we've offered or have/had on the team that aren't BIG athletes.

Only six times in the last thirty-three seasons has Iowa won at least two-thirds of its conference games. Prior to last season it was only four times in thirty-one years. What are you complaining about? What Fran has done the last two years doesn't happen very often at Iowa.

Latest posts