Hawkeyes Have Good Chance with NYC PG Christian Vital

If you believe Fran and Iowa basketball can improve you're a clown fan and you're trolling. Got it. If you have thousands of posts to your name because you don't have a life you're an Iowa fan, and go by deanvogs. 10:4

You have made 28 posts on this site. All 28 bash either a player, a coach or a poster that's actually a Hawk fan. You're most definitely a troll. We all know it. And your own posting history proves it. It has nothing to do with how many posts you have. It's the fact that none of them are pro Iowa in any way. This is where you make yet another negative post containing more drivel. I'm done with your nonsense.

I thought the same thing. Seems more like we are just one of 5 schools. 20% chance give or take.

He compares Fran to his high school coach...sounded like a positive comment to me. He wants playing time which we can offer. And he's trying to set up an official visit to Iowa. He only has 3 left and hasn't visited any of the 5 schools on his list. So it sounds like we're 1 out of 3...hasn't decided on the other 2 he will visit.

My take is the one place he's definitely going to visit is Iowa. He likes/understands Fran's coaching style. And he knows there is playing time available...and that he has to earn it. I get the vibe that we're his favorite at this point...but obviously not a sure thing.

OK.

We need to come up with a chart so I know what words to use in headlines.

So far, if I used "good chance" in a headline, we have a vote for that needing to be 50 percent chance or better.

We need percentages for

"OK Chance"

"Pretty Good Chance"

"Excellent Chance"

"Outstanding Chance"

"Slim Chance"

"Snowball's Chance in Hell"

Please. Weigh in. :)

"Good chance" is exactly right based on Vital's comments IMO.

Hawk fan.....LOLOLOLOL.....It took like 20 posts to see through your trolling Clown azzzzzzz.....

I have to disagree with you Dean. I know they are extremely rare. But be open to the idea this may actually be a UNI fan trolling. The Washpun love is telling.

As far as posting on the internet goes, it ain't very hard. Maybe you can't work a computer, maybe you can't multitask, maybe you are just dumber than a box of rocks. Either way I find plenty of time run my company, spend time with my wife, my child, our families and post on the internet.....I don't know, maybe I'm Superman. I mean I don't think so, I think I'm just a normal dude, but if that impresses you maybe it is a bigger accomplishment than I thought.

lol

Am I satisfied where the program is right now not including the new recruits I just mentioned ? Nope.

Six straight years of improvement and you're not satisfied? It's time for you to consider becoming a Duke or Kentucky basketball fan. Because those are about the only 2 programs likely to meet your expectations.

He compares Fran to his high school coach...sounded like a positive comment to me. He wants playing time which we can offer. And he's trying to set up an official visit to Iowa. He only has 3 left and hasn't visited any of the 5 schools on his list. So it sounds like we're 1 out of 3...hasn't decided on the other 2 he will visit.

My take is the one place he's definitely going to visit is Iowa. He likes/understands Fran's coaching style. And he knows there is playing time available...and that he has to earn it. I get the vibe that we're his favorite at this point...but obviously not a sure thing.

Yea maybe I should read the article again. After reading the title, I think I was expecting him to come right out and say iowa was his favorite.

His comments on liking a coach who trusts his players to make plays make me wonder if that is another benefit of not calling timeout at the end of halfs and games.

Does Iowa have a better chance than any of the other schools in CV's top 5? If so, then yes, I'd say Iowa has a "good chance". Otherwise, just a chance.

Not to be a downer, but we've heard these things before - A potential recruit has nothing but good things to say about Iowa, the coaches, etc. etc....... And then they go elsewhere.

So, consider me a skeptic until we actually get a commitment from him.

Six straight years of improvement and you're not satisfied? It's time for you to consider becoming a Duke or Kentucky basketball fan. Because those are about the only 2 programs likely to meet your expectations.

Fran has accomplished something the last two years that has happened at Iowa only four times in the previous thirty-one seasons before last year. All Iowa has to do next year is win two conference games & Fran will have the same conference record in years three through seven as Mr. Davis.

You have made 28 posts on this site. All 28 bash either a player, a coach or a poster that's actually a Hawk fan. You're most definitely a troll. We all know it. And your own posting history proves it. It has nothing to do with how many posts you have. It's the fact that none of them are pro Iowa in any way. This is where you make yet another negative post containing more drivel. I'm done with your nonsense.

Not true.

It's sometimes easier to be cynical though, that's nothing new for message boards. It's also easy to be cynical when you see fellow Iowa fans put 100% faith in every decision coaches make because they don't understand the game and can't think for themselves.
The difference between our fandom is you will support a coach (let's just say Ferentz) and his every coaching move, while referencing his accomplishments of 5-6 years ago, I'll call into question his coaching, taking ownership, and making changes. Ferentz would have started Rudock last year and wouldn't have toured top college and NFL teams this past offseason to improve himself and his team would have been well on their way to a 7-6 last year if all fans were like you.

So if you're not satisfied with where we are, what is good enough for you. You're talking about firing a coach after two 3rd place finishes is a row. There are maybe a handful of coaches out there that could guarantee that success and none of them are coming here. That means we would have to gamble on an unknown. Even if we found a relatively safe bet, is 12-6 conference records really worth the gamble?

I am saying that I would like for Fran to take us one step further as far as his success goes. One plateau higher. If Wisconsin can do there is no reason we can't do it. Also, since when is finishing as the sixth seed considered the third seed?

Are you saying your ok with mid-conference schedule melt downs? If it happens again this upcoming season that will be three out of four seasons that it happened.

If your read my comments carefully you would have noticed I am optimistic about the future and that I THINK the next set of recruits are going to be a bit tougher than what we have had before.

I am concerned that the players quit playing for Fran two out of the last three seasons. I did say IF the meltdowns keep happening over the next three years. If that were to happen then obviously something is wrong with his coaching philosophy that is causing it to happen.

Now having said that I am hopeful that the next few recruiting classes can be even better and that Fran can land that GO TO PLAYER or Mr. CLUTCH player that he has been lacking that could propel the team to a level where we can all be very happy.

I will never be apologetic for wanting to be a conference champion and wanting to get to the final four and then win the damn thing. I am sure Fran wants it too. If not, then he is not the guy. It's why people compete. An interesting thing just happen as I was typing the word "COMPETE". I looked down at my auto correct after typing the first three letters and noticed it gave men this option "CONNOR". Maybe it's an Omen.

I am saying that I would like for Fran to take us one step further as far as his success goes. One plateau higher. If Wisconsin can do there is no reason we can't do it. Also, since when is finishing as the sixth seed considered the third seed?

Are you saying your ok with mid-conference schedule melt downs? If it happens again this upcoming season that will be three out of four seasons that it happened.

If your read my comments carefully you would have noticed I am optimistic about the future and that I THINK the next set of recruits are going to be a bit tougher than what we have had before.

I am concerned that the players quit playing for Fran two out of the last three seasons. I did say IF the meltdowns keep happening over the next three years. If that were to happen then obviously something is wrong with his coaching philosophy that is causing it to happen.

Now having said that I am hopeful that the next few recruiting classes can be even better and that Fran can land that GO TO PLAYER or Mr. CLUTCH player that he has been lacking that could propel the team to a level where we can all be very happy.

I will never be apologetic for wanting to be a conference champion and wanting to get to the final four and then win the damn thing. I am sure Fran wants it too. If not, then he is not the guy. It's why people compete. An interesting thing just happen as I was typing the word "COMPETE". I looked down at my auto correct after typing the first three letters and noticed it gave men this option "CONNOR". Maybe it's an Omen.

We finished tied for 3rd in the B1G, seeding in the B1G tournament means nothing. We actually finished tied for 3rd and by far had a tougher conference schedule than any other team that tied for 3rd.

Everyone want to win the conference, Fran wants to win the conference 1 million times more than you could ever want to win it. You see for him it is a yearly goal to strive for, that is the way it works. Yet if you think we should get rid of coaches who don't do that, you would be firing everyone. It has been what over 35 years since we won the B1G, so suggesting that if Fran can't do what Iowa hasn't done if 35+ years then he needs fired is kind of ridiculous.

I am not a recruiting guy so take it for what it is worth. Watching his highlights and given his size he feels like another Clemmons. Maybe he has the potential to be a better scorer, but won't have AC's defensive prowess. i see a solid contributor, but not a game changer.

Does Iowa have a better chance than any of the other schools in CV's top 5? If so, then yes, I'd say Iowa has a "good chance". Otherwise, just a chance.

Not to be a downer, but we've heard these things before - A potential recruit has nothing but good things to say about Iowa, the coaches, etc. etc....... And then they go elsewhere.

So, consider me a skeptic until we actually get a commitment from him.

And it's worked the other way. Dom Uhl was going to Temple until his official announcement. I watched it live and the interviewer had no questions prepared. All of his notes/questions related to a Temple commitment. He finally settled on something like "Why Iowa?"

My point of asking you what is acceptable s because so many people always want one step higher than what was attained as a minimum expectation. That thought process can start getting a bit ridiculous. To me, two 3rd place finishes in a row with no signs of going the wrong way (as far as the long haul is concerned) is pretty ridiculous.

As far as late season collapses go, it would be more concerning if it were 2 years in a row, or if the other 4 years didn't show great improvement as the year went on. It was 2 years where there was a ton of attention on us. That is extra pressure. This senior class was great but they showed time after time that they couldn't handle pressure. If players can't handle pressure, there is nothing a coach can do. Don't expect a late season collapse next year. There will be new players and no expectations.

Except you're not calling a spade a spade. You're calling a spade a hoe. You've got no idea what you're talking about.

Great point. This is funny to me. In a juvenile, sophomoric way.....I am giggling like a high school kid at this.

Not true.

It's sometimes easier to be cynical though, that's nothing new for message boards. It's also easy to be cynical when you see fellow Iowa fans put 100% faith in every decision coaches make because they don't understand the game and can't think for themselves.
The difference between our fandom is you will support a coach (let's just say Ferentz) and his every coaching move, while referencing his accomplishments of 5-6 years ago, I'll call into question his coaching, taking ownership, and making changes. Ferentz would have started Rudock last year and wouldn't have toured top college and NFL teams this past offseason to improve himself and his team would have been well on their way to a 7-6 last year if all fans were like you.

Dean was very critical of Fran a couple years ago. Now he supports him because Fran has earned his support. What on earth does it take to earn your support? I am very pro Fran but I'm also pretty critical of Kirk. Just because the don't follow the guy at the extreme end of the spectrum doesn't mean we don't question anything.

Dean was very critical of Fran a couple years ago. Now he supports him because Fran has earned his support. What on earth does it take to earn your support? I am very pro Fran but I'm also pretty critical of Kirk. Just because the don't follow the guy at the extreme end of the spectrum doesn't mean we don't question anything.

Good for Dean.
I like Fran fine, just not sure he's able to take the program any higher. And maybe that's fine, we got rid of Davis because he couldn't make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney and nearly 20 years later look how giddy most Iowa fans are to be on a 3 year tourney run.
Fran makes a lot of questionable in game coaching decisions and doesn't adhere to standard coaching 101 rules of thumb that all of the great college coaches do while also relying too much on in state recruits. I'm hopeful he's not so stubborn and changes his mind on some things, but watching games continually slip away late in games and not having a rationale explanation is beyond frustrating. At least "I trust my seniors" can't be used as an alibi next year.

Really? Are you talking about on a per capita basis? I guess that's possible, but still would have liked to see those numbers. But on a raw total, there is no way the state of Iowa ever had more state natives on NBA rosters than other states.

I'll put a plug in for my website, http://www.benched42.net/2004/11/29/interesting-statistic/

Notice the date was 2004 (I did say a few years ago). Here's the list:

• Ryan Bowen – Houston Rockets – went to Iowa; from Fort Madison, Iowa.
  • Nick Collison – Seattle Supersonics – went to Kansas; from Orange City, Iowa.
  • Kirk Hinrich – Chicago Bulls – went to Kansas; from Sioux City, Iowa.
  • Fred Hoiberg – Minnesota Timberwolves – went to Iowa State; from Ames, Iowa.
  • Kyle Korver – Philadelphia 76ers – went to Creighton; from Pella, Iowa.
  • Raef LaFrentz – Boston Celtics – went to Kansas; from Hampton, Iowa.

Latest posts