Hawkeyes Believe Offense Close to Breaking Through

A valid question I've heard posed throughout this week is why does Iowa have two freshmen tackles after losing two fifth-year senior tackles to injury? I think it's a fair criticism to wonder why there aren't any options in the other classes.

I'm not dumping on Jackson and Wirfs. They'll be better from this in the long run. It would have been nice for them to have more development time, however.

That is very odd actually when you think about it. A developmental program like Iowa that specializes in O-line play having that gap. I do think they will be pretty deep on O-line in the future, though, as they have Kallenberger who looks pretty legit as well. What happened to the Paulsen twins? Did they fall behind? Maybe they are just deep at guard and really looking for those who fit tackle better.

That is very odd actually when you think about it. A developmental program like Iowa that specializes in O-line play having that gap. I do think they will be pretty deep on O-line in the future, though, as they have Kallenberger who looks pretty legit as well. What happened to the Paulsen twins? Did they fall behind? Maybe they are just deep at guard and really looking for those who fit tackle better.
All spring we heard how great the depth was with this award winning oline. Not the case

A valid question I've heard posed throughout this week is why does Iowa have two freshmen tackles after losing two fifth-year senior tackles to injury? I think it's a fair criticism to wonder why there aren't any options in the other classes.

I'm not dumping on Jackson and Wirfs. They'll be better from this in the long run. It would have been nice for them to have more development time, however.
Apparently during the last three or four years, we have not recruited and or developed any B10 level talent at tackle. It is incredible that the coach responsible for this failure of recruiting and development was not fired.
Instead, he was promoted to OC.

Last edited:
Apparently during the last three or four years, we have not recruited and or developed any B10 level talent at tackle. It is incredible that the coach responsible for this failure of recruiting and development was not fired.
Instead, he was promoted to OC.

Reiff - 2015 NFL
Scherff - 2015 NFL
Croston - 2016 All B1G; Moore Award 2016
Boettger - starting OT injured; Moore 2016
Myers - starting OT injured; Moore 2016

Apparently BF can develop or recruit with 2 NFL talents and 3 all B1G tackles in the last three or four years.

Plus the two injured senior who both could have been All B1G.

So:

History demonstrates that BF can develop OT.

that leaves the observation that he can’t recruit B1G talent.

However, since he develops B1G++ talent and now has two freshman playing ahead of upper class men that history has shown he can develop, then it’s reasonable to posit that he has recruited more talented players.

So one of your observations is flat-out wrong. It’s possible the other is wrong, too.

Reiff - 2015 NFL
Scherff - 2015 NFL

Apparently BF can develop or recruit with 2 NFL talents and 3 all B1G tackles in the last three or four years.

So:

However, since he develops B1G++ talent and now has two freshman playing ahead of upper class men that history has shown he can develop, then it’s reasonable to posit that he has recruited more talented players.

So one of your observations is flat-out wrong. It’s possible the other is wrong, too.
I agree with your post for the most part. No doubt, there's few better at developing offensive linemen than Kirk, but what is perplexing and vexing is how many top offensive line recruits he has missed on over the last several seasons. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. It's almost as if Kirk prefers to develop walk-ons and converted TEs rather than start with more base potential.

Obviously, more goes into selecting a program than just the potential for the NFL, but, even given that, this program should be much more successful recruiting top OL talent. Jackson, Wirfs and Kallenberger point to improvement there, so hopefully we've turned the corner somewhat.

Programs have to take advantage of what they have, and I've always felt that we should aggressively pursue top OL and TE prospects nationwide every year. It may not always pay off, but there is no reason we shouldn't give the hard sell at those positions.

Okay, I just tuned into the game on a slight dvr delay, and wow the offense looks great on the first drive. This is really something.

Buckeyes can name the score next week.

49339763.jpg

Reiff - 2015 NFL
Scherff - 2015 NFL

So:

BF was hired as ol coach in 2012.
I believe Reiff was recruited in 2008 and was drafted in 2012. Not sure How BF had any role in recruiting or developing him.
I believe Sherff was recruited in 2010. Not clear about BF role there either.
That leaves Croston who was honorable mention B10 and undrafted by the NFL as the sole premier recruit of the BF era.
Your anointment of this years injured Iowa players as “could have been all B10” doesn’t actually count you know.

Iowa's offense has been marred by inconsistency this season. The Hawkeyes think they're close to breaking through:

LINK
There will be no break through until the Iowa receivers can catch the ball. I feel sorry for Stanley. He makes good throws on 3rd downs only to watch them clank off the stone hands of the Iowa receiving corps. Mind boggling how many drops we have every game. The damn ball almost sticks to receiver gloves and we still drop'em.
Stanley throws a PERFECT deep ball that could well have been a long td pass but he gets an int. because our receiver decides to bat it to the Minnesota player. About time our receivers help him out.

BF was hired as ol coach in 2012.
I believe Reiff was recruited in 2008 and was drafted in 2012. Not sure How BF had any role in recruiting or developing him.
True. You’re right. I started typing all OL drated since 2012 and deleted Donnal instead of Reiff.
“SCHawkeye2” said:
I believe Sherff was recruited in 2010. Not clear about BF role there either.
Wasn’t your point that “we have not recruited and or developed B1G level talent at tackle”? so are you saying BF didn’t develop Scherff (and Donnal) from 2012-14?

“SCHawkeye2” said:
that leaves Croston who was honorable mention B10 and undrafted by the NFL as the sole premier recruit of the BF era.
That’s wrong. You’re hedging on your point of having “not recruited and or developed B1G level talent at tackle.

Do you now want to move your goal post from “B1G level talent” to All-Conference? Or to NFL level talent?

“SCHawkeye2” said:
Your anointment of this years injured Iowa players as “could have been all B10” doesn’t actually count you know.
Well that’s pretty obvious since I did qualify with “could have” so it’s not an anointment.

So BF had no hand in developing two NFL OT from 2012-2014? he coached them for three years, right?

Didn’t he recruit and coach up Croston for four years? Isn’t All-Conference B1G level talent?

Aren’t Boettger and Myers B1G level talent even if they aren’t named All-Conference?

Didn’t he recruit Jackson (3*), Whirffs and Kallenberger (both 4*) and Paulsen twins (3*/4*)? Do you think 3* and 4* are not B1G level talent?

Hawkeyes Believe Offense Close to Breaking Through

So the remainder of the year Iowa be playing against wet toilet paper? Cuz that's what this offense can break thru.

True. You’re right. I started typing all OL drated since 2012 and deleted Donnal instead of Reiff.
Wasn’t your point that “we have not recruited and or developed B1G level talent at tackle”? so are you saying BF didn’t develop Scherff (and Donnal) from 2012-14?

That’s wrong. You’re hedging on your point of having “not recruited and or developed B1G level talent at tackle.

Do you now want to move your goal post from “B1G level talent” to All-Conference? Or to NFL level talent?

Well that’s pretty obvious since I did qualify with “could have” so it’s not an anointment.

So BF had no hand in developing two NFL OT from 2012-2014? he coached them for three years, right?

Didn’t he recruit and coach up Croston for four years? Isn’t All-Conference B1G level talent?

Aren’t Boettger and Myers B1G level talent even if they aren’t named All-Conference?

Didn’t he recruit Jackson (3*), Whirffs and Kallenberger (both 4*) and Paulsen twins (3*/4*)? Do you think 3* and 4* are not B1G level talent?

My point is that Iowa's claim to fame is the quality of our OL. However, I believe the quality of our OL talent seems to have fallen off in the last two years (and I don't think I'm alone on this).
My second point is that BF as Head OL coach from 2012-2016 would appear to be responsible for this fall off in recruiting and/or development.

In the four years prior to BF hire as OL coach, Iowa had 10 OL named to the Coaches All B-10 1st or 2nd team.

2008 3
2009 3
2010 2
2011 2

In the four years following his hire in 2012, we had 6 OL named to the Coaches All B-10 1st or 2nd team.

2013 2
2014 2
2015 2
2016 0

The 2016 team would have been the first 'all BF' OL - completely his recruits and his development. It is telling that BF's first full group of recruits had no one on the 2016 B10 All Conf team.
How many members of the 2017 Iowa OL (BF's 'second' group of recruits) will be on this years all B10 All Conf team?

My point is that Iowa's claim to fame is the quality of our OL. However, I believe the quality of our OL talent seems to have fallen off in the last two years (and I don't think I'm alone on this).
My second point is that BF as Head OL coach from 2012-2016 would appear to be responsible for this fall off in recruiting and/or development.

In the four years prior to BF hire as OL coach, Iowa had 10 OL named to the Coaches All B-10 1st or 2nd team.

2008 3
2009 3
2010 2
2011 2

In the four years following his hire in 2012, we had 6 OL named to the Coaches All B-10 1st or 2nd team.

2013 2
2014 2
2015 2
2016 0

The 2016 team would have been the first 'all BF' OL - completely his recruits and his development. It is telling that BF's first full group of recruits had no one on the 2016 B10 All Conf team.
How many members of the 2017 Iowa OL (BF's 'second' group of recruits) will be on this years all B10 All Conf team?

So what does our coach do? Lets promote that guy to OC.. Only program in college football that would do something that stupid.

Latest posts