Hawkeyes Believe Offense Close to Breaking Through

That's awesome! This is going to be a great team going forward for the rest of the season. With the offense now breaking through, and the defense holding teams to under 20 points per game. This is a winning formula for sure. I like how this utilizes it's talent at wide receiver and tight end. They also mix in run and pass very well. If I were a highly rated recruit at any position I would to commit and be a part of this offense without hesitation.

I try to start my day with a good chuckle, to set the right mood. ClintonNickHawkIAFan, you made me laugh out loud!

Thanx and keep up the good work!

PS - Hopefully, this being a nationally televised, semi-night game in Kinnick, let's hope the Refs - I mean, Goofs - don't steal it from the Hawks after they have broken through.

That's awesome! This is going to be a great team going forward for the rest of the season. With the offense now breaking through, and the defense holding teams to under 20 points per game. This is a winning formula for sure. I like how this utilizes it's talent at wide receiver and tight end. They also mix in run and pass very well. If I were a highly rated recruit at any position I would to commit and be a part of this offense without hesitation.
I can’t tell if you are a troll or a blind homer.

We seem to run the same 6-10 plays every game - regardless of the opponents personnel or scheme.
We also tend to run from a tight line splits with two tight ends. This allows the defense to pack it in as well. If you have a dominant line and bruising RB, this can work. We don't have the personnel - OL or RB - for this scheme however.
An alternative would be to run from wide lineman splits and a spread formation to create gaps all over the field. Possibly a better O scheme for someone like Wadley to find a gap and get in the open field where he is more effective.
Since it would seem we have little to lose by trying some different formations and plays, is it possible the KF / BF playbook only has 10 plays?
'Plan "A" but no Plan "B"?

I think @RobHowe is just telling you that no matter how miserable you get or how much you bitch about it, Ferentz is going nowhere. I’m not a Ferentz fan but the same stuff over and over about how bad he sucks isn’t going to change anything. You have two choices.

One is to stop taking Iowa football seriously and be less miserable which is what I’ve done. For the first season in as long as I can remember I won’t go to a game. Living 5 hours away a game costs me about $500 all in with tickets for my kid and I, food, gas, and a hotel, and I won’t pay that to go watch the stuff that’s on the field right now. I’m not mad about it and I hope they start winning, but I’m “meh” about Hawkeye football for the first time ever and I actually feel ok about it.

The other choice is to be miserable and scream and bitch and whine about KF till you’re voice is gone. Day after day.

Neither one is going to any good whatsoever because Kirk Ferentz is here for the duration and nothing you or I do is going to change that.

Yes. He's not going anywhere unless he decides to retire.

Remember, for every season Iowa wins at least seven games in 2016-2020, Ferentz’s buyout jumps to 100 percent for one season from 2021-2025. Iowa won 8 games in 2016, meaning Ferentz’s 2021 salary became 100 percent guaranteed.

Even if Iowa falls short of 7 wins this season, he still is guaranteed 50 percent in '22. That's roughly $2.3M. He beats Minnesota, Purdue and Nebraska this season, that's 7 again and $4.6M guaranteed in '22.

Again, unless he chooses to walk, he's here no matter how much you complain.

How in the ever loving hell could you possibly make it any easier on opposing defensive coordinators than to come right out as a team and say, “What we are doing has not worked and is not working, but we are unequivocally committed to continuing to do the same thing, no matter how long the odds become of us succeeding?”

Someone please tell me how you make yourself any easier to defend than that right there. I challenge you to.
That's good coaching there

I don’t care how many they have in the box. We have to have the attitude that we’re going to run it,” Ross said."

Nice. So they're going to keep trying to pound that square peg into the round hole. Just gotta hammer it harder and harder until it works. That's the philosophy?

Remember, for every season Iowa wins at least seven games in 2016-2020, Ferentz’s buyout jumps to 100 percent for one season from 2021-2025. Iowa won 8 games in 2016, meaning Ferentz’s 2021 salary became 100 percent guaranteed.

Even if Iowa falls short of 7 wins this season, he still is guaranteed 50 percent in '22. That's roughly $2.3M. He beats Minnesota, Purdue and Nebraska this season, that's 7 again and $4.6M guaranteed in '22.

Maybe one of the best contracts out there from a coaches standpoint

I guess that, right there, is living proof that 7-5 is the benchmark expectation at Iowa.

I think @RobHowe is just telling you that no matter how miserable you get or how much you bitch about it, Ferentz is going nowhere. I’m not a Ferentz fan but the same stuff over and over about how bad he sucks isn’t going to change anything. You have two choices.

One is to stop taking Iowa football seriously and be less miserable which is what I’ve done. For the first season in as long as I can remember I won’t go to a game. Living 5 hours away a game costs me about $500 all in with tickets for my kid and I, food, gas, and a hotel, and I won’t pay that to go watch the stuff that’s on the field right now. I’m not mad about it and I hope they start winning, but I’m “meh” about Hawkeye football for the first time ever and I actually feel ok about it.

The other choice is to be miserable and scream and bitch and whine about KF till you’re voice is gone. Day after day.

Neither one is going to any good whatsoever because Kirk Ferentz is here for the duration and nothing you or I do is going to change that.

I think you've clearly missed a point. Many on here no longer come to seriously discuss Iowa football. It's a form of socialization. I'm going to guess you are one of the more prolific posters on the board. You are basically saying, "Don't talk about it".

Most KF detractors (mildly or otherwise) have come to this conclusion a long time ago. A number of us have invested a lot of emotional energy in the Hawks. Growing up during post Vietnam era when the news every day was miserable (Mayaguez, NY Bankruptcy, Watergate, Cold War fears, being the original latch key kids, failure in Iran, economic uncertainty, farm crisis, changing of rural communities that make up Iowa, incredible amounts of drinking of youths in small towns...you get the idea), HF brought a sense of pride and can do spirit. Pre HF, Iowa football mirrored national issues. Still, listening to Zabel and Brooks brought some excitement to our lives. Going to a game was like the ultimate thing. My first game was from winning tickets on the pick em contest on WHO. I knew I was close, but was afraid I'd win the weekend in MSPT. I wanted those tickets even if I didn't know how I'd get there. Loved my name beingon the air of an Iowa Hawk broadcast at that very young age.

KF has at times bumped up to that sense of pride that HF brought. KF also brings a bit of a sense of hopelessness. To some it's the end of an era. We don't want to see that end. Playing not to lose is very difficult to watch. At least pre HF we had Zabel's way of making 3rd and 1 while being 5 touchdowns exciting. We don't have that anymore. What we get is a glossing over without Zabels way of doing it.

What has changed is those who were pro KF, but not militant about it have become frustrated with what has been obvious for years. With BF, KF is allowed to become more KF.

Your frustration with frustration is a bit of a victim mentality where the victim feels powerless.

As I said, many on here now see this site as a socialization where one can joke around with people you can't do in the work place or in the busyness of home life. It's sad that the Hawks have become a joke. A local radio station in a(my) Big community has a very good sports talk show. They were laughing over and over discussing this week in the Big. They were laughing about the upcoming Iowa/NW game and successfully predicting the outcome in a comical way.

Iowa had two weeks before the Northwestern game and the result of that extra practice was disappointing to say the least. There's plenty of potential. But potential could mean next year. Potential doesn't score many points when you lose the game.

The Hawkeyes may, indeed, believe the offense is close to "breaking through".

I do NOT believe the offense is close to "breaking through". I believe it's probably closer to "breaking down".

Surprised this article wasn't met with more positive feedback. Bunch of Debbie Downers.

So being pessimistic about an offense that repeatedly misuses their RB, and is doubling down on that strategy makes us debbie downers? Even Jon has expressed his frustration of continuing to run Wadley between the tackles when that is not the type of runner he is or because of OL issues. Any defense Iowa plays will just stack the box and prevent or limit any 3+ yard rushes, because the coaches are quoted to saying as much.

Honestly, a lot of us aren't out for blood when it comes to KF. Some definitely are! But I recognize KF will be here until he decides to retire. But when we notice systemic issues on the offensive side of the ball, a lot of us are labeled whiners. Iowa has one of the most predictable offenses in college football. Period! That comes from the inability of the head coach to accept change and recognize that every defense in college football knows what you are going to do. Instead of using that to your advantage and mixing things up to throw them off, the coaching staff continues to pound their heads into the brick wall. It's just maddening. You won't have fans stop watching Iowa football because they're boycotting Kirk Ferentz, they'll do it because it's BORING!

So being pessimistic about an offense that repeatedly misuses their RB, and is doubling down on that strategy makes us debbie downers? Even Jon has expressed his frustration of continuing to run Wadley between the tackles when that is not the type of runner he is or because of OL issues. Any defense Iowa plays will just stack the box and prevent or limit any 3+ yard rushes, because the coaches are quoted to saying as much.

Honestly, a lot of us aren't out for blood when it comes to KF. Some definitely are! But I recognize KF will be here until he decides to retire. But when we notice systemic issues on the offensive side of the ball, a lot of us are labeled whiners. Iowa has one of the most predictable offenses in college football. Period! That comes from the inability of the head coach to accept change and recognize that every defense in college football knows what you are going to do. Instead of using that to your advantage and mixing things up to throw them off, the coaching staff continues to pound their heads into the brick wall. It's just maddening. You won't have fans stop watching Iowa football because they're boycotting Kirk Ferentz, they'll do it because it's BORING!

I was joking, dude.

I'm on the boards every day. I know the tone.

Lighten up, Francis. I've read it all before.

Point taken but these are one offs. I think most fans are frustrated with the fact that 95% of us can call the second down play based upon what happens on first down. If the casual fan can recognize the patterns and formations does Brian or Kirk really not think that a professional defensive coordinator can't? The problem I have with the KF offense is it requires PERFECT execution to be smooth and successful. Unfortunately that's not realistic for any team up to and including Alabama. These are kids, mistakes are going to happen. It's Brian and Kirks job to build in enough buffers to keep the offense moving when execution isn't on point. Look at Wisconsin -- same talent, same style of offense even if the blocking schemes are a bit different. They don't execute error free all of the time and yet they win a whole heck of a lot more. The play calling and schemes need to evolve...the question is are the Ferentz boys the right duo to make that happen? Prior results say no but I've been wrong before...maybe once.
I agree with this. Relying on perfect execution of every play is unrealistic. It should be the goal every week and a point of emphasis in practice, as you don't want your team to start to believe there's room during the game to take plays off, but it's up to the coaches to know that despite aspiring to be perfect, it's not going to happen, and other things must develop (and be ready to implement) when your plan goes awry.

Also, there seems to be too much reliance on Plan A. This is similar, but slightly different, than the need for perfect execution, because perfect execution may not be able to counter the other team's adapting to what happens in the game. Case in point, and granted, I don't all about football strategy, but after the first quarter of last week's game, Wadley into the middle of the line was no longer working (save for 1 run on the last drive in regulation). NW did something to figure that out, Iowa did not do anything to counter that. It doesn't mean Iowa needs to abandon the running game, but it seems like having other running options to counter what moves were made by NW to stop the running game would be implemented. Maybe they are being done, and I'm not sophisticated enough to see the changes made, but the statistics of futile first down rushing attempts tends to support they were not prepared to counter (or at least did not effectively counter) what NW came up with after the first quarter. This is the frustrating part of watching Iowa on offense. I have a hard time believing that it's just, we need to execute better.

Edit: Reading Kirk's press conference, he would disagree. It's about execution. To borrow from Al Davis, Just Execute, Baby!

Last edited:

Maybe you should apply for a job. I am sure they would welcome someone with such insight on how to coach college football.

Latest posts