Has PJ Fleck taken the FSU job yet?

giphy.gif

A few things about FSU. Their scholarships are now NOT endowed and so they rely on booster money for that (heard that on a podcast) and also they have a Alumni association that is an appendage on the athletic department that holds the purse strings. Now they have a interim AD. Why would a decent AD want to go to a place where a bunch of used car dealers hold the purse strings. Wierd dynamics. I'm not so sure that it is a good place to go. If I'm a hot coach, just sit tight...other jobs will come open soon enough.

https://boosters.fsu.edu/about-us#why-give

Word is the U of M is planning to throw a bunch of money at Fleck to keep him. So he'll have to decide sooner rather than later if he wants to stay or pursue a premier job. (the buyout attached to a new deal would likely be prohibitive). This could backfire on Minnesota as his agent may say Thanks but we're not signing without an escape clause. Once that leaks out...the writing is on the wall.

Whether you like his over-the-top motivational style or not, it appears he can coach and knows how to build a program. He's gotten the kind of players he wants and they're playing for him. It'll be interesting to see if he plans to stay long term in Minneapolis. A Big Ten program is always a good gig and you could live in worse places (West Lafayette, Lincoln). The catch is...this is a Vikings town. Gopher fans jump on and off the bandwagon like few you'll see.

It'll be interesting.

Rodents host Penn St this weekend - biggest home game in forever!
"Tickets still available" - says everything about this job and where Gopher football lies in TC sports pecking order.
Only sellouts the last 20 years are if Wis/Iowa fans show up at the end of the season

Fleck and Campbell are both in the same boat (only PJ rows though), both in historically cess pool programs that will place them on a throne if they win 7 or 8 games a year. Both would be foolish to leave.

Rodents host Penn St this weekend - biggest home game in forever!
"Tickets still available" - says everything about this job and where Gopher football lies in TC sports pecking order.
Only sellouts the last 20 years are if Wis/Iowa fans show up at the end of the season

Nobody cares about the Goofs in the grand scheme of things in the North Star State.

My point in the post was just to illustrate that football scholarships are less than one percent of the total revenue generated, which is almost all from the football program. It’s inconsequential where that money comes from.

What's NOT inconsequential is that they are hemorrhaging cash. That's incomprehensible for an FSU-caliber program.

Hope Campbell and Fleck stay where they're at for a long time. Kirk owns both of them.

Kirk has played Fleck twice at Minnesota. Only beat him by 7 in his first season, won by 17 last year. Considering how KFz's first two years went and I'd hold the parade on that one. This year could be a different story.

The stain on Campbell's ismoo resume is the lack of a W over IOWA. That's a beautiful thing.

Kirk has played Fleck twice at Minnesota. Only beat him by 7 in his first season, won by 17 last year. Considering how KFz's first two years went and I'd hold the parade on that one. This year could be a different story.

The stain on Campbell's ismoo resume is the lack of a W over IOWA. That's a beautiful thing.

Minnesota isn’t beating Iowa this year. I dont think Minnesota would beat Iowa at Minnesota. They have played absolutely NOBODY

Minnesota isn’t beating Iowa this year. I dont think Minnesota would beat Iowa at Minnesota. They have played absolutely NOBODY

Which is the same thing people said about IOWA in 2015. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if the Goophs steal one in Kinnick. We'll know a bit more about them after this weekend.

Checking flight aware for flights between Tallahassee and Ames. Nothing. Only flights into Ames are single engine Cessna's doing touch n go's.
99% of jets flying public figures have in the last year or two opted out of flight tracking for this reason. There used to be entire message boards dedicated to tracking celebrities, athletes, and sports teams by their tail numbers, and websites where you could look those tail numbers up in a list.

Those celebrities/athletes/business execs started requesting no tracking, and now just about all charter companies who haul even remotely famous people have opted out. My brother’s girlfriend works for an air charter out of Phoenix and she’s told me they’d be out of business literally overnight if they didn’t have all their planes opted out.

Kinda like how EMS radios have all gone encrypted, the flight tracking famous people thing is dead now too.

Penn State, Michigan and Iowa State are all heads and shoulders better than anyone Minnesota has played.
PSU and Michigan I'll agree with, ISU is trash and they would have beat us if they didn't have idiots returning punts.

My main point is that it's not a valid argument to say the Hawks will beat Minnesota because they haven't beat anybody, when Iowa hasn't either.

PSU and Michigan I'll agree with, ISU is trash and they would have beat us if they didn't have idiots returning punts.

My main point is that it's not a valid argument to say the Hawks will beat Minnesota because they haven't beat anybody, when Iowa hasn't either.

OK. I think it’s valid to say Iowa beats Minnesota because Iowa is better than Minnesota

No way Jose.

Nothing is worse for a program than musical coaches. Send ‘em packin once they start winning and on to the next Rube.
Amen to that. Wisky comes to mind of having changed coaches a couple times since the dude with the ankle tattoo was there and have very little to no drop off due to it. But that's the anomaly. Programs like MN ISU Purdue we want them flipping the next MAC coach over and over. The longer their coaches are there the worse it is for all of us no doubt about it.

Saw that Bohami Jones on ESPN is playing the race card on his firing... I guess not everyone at ESPN learned from Jemelle Hill. Not everything can be spun into a racial issue geez. FSU has had half empty stadiums this year. That is so beyond unacceptable for them it's not even funny. They aren't like Stanford where even when they are good they often have a ton of empty seats still because well it's just not as big of a deal out there. Between Taggorts record his loss of grip on the players and overall program and you add in the fans jumping ship that's the last straw. All they needed was boosters willing to pony up for the large buyout. But yeah Jones it's all about racism and he should have gotten to coach 2 more years just because.

Saw that Bohami Jones on ESPN is playing the race card on his firing... I guess not everyone at ESPN learned from Jemelle Hill. Not everything can be spun into a racial issue geez. FSU has had half empty stadiums this year. That is so beyond unacceptable for them it's not even funny. They aren't like Stanford where even when they are good they often have a ton of empty seats still because well it's just not as big of a deal out there. Between Taggorts record his loss of grip on the players and overall program and you add in the fans jumping ship that's the last straw. All they needed was boosters willing to pony up for the large buyout. But yeah Jones it's all about racism and he should have gotten to coach 2 more years just because.

No, it's totally racism, dude, and it's racist for you to disagree. Florida State has a long history of retaining white coaches who put up dismal records against soft ACC competition. If Taggart was white, recurring 4 to 6 win seasons would absolutely be tolerated.

Latest posts