Has PJ Fleck taken the FSU job yet?

I think to be accepted and have much success in that part of the country you have to be one of those Southern Gothic types like Bobby Bowden, Jimbo Fisher, Swinney, Orgeron, etc.

They have a couple coaches from Pennsylvania plus Stoops, but other than that everyone of 'em is a good ol' boy from south of the Mason/Dixon line. I mean, Ed Orgeron is literally Farmer Fran from Waterboy and doesn't even speak a shred of English, but he's the top dog.
Yeah but they're desperate now. Like boosters ponying up for 17 18 large whatever it is to buy out Taggart in the middle of the year to move on desperate. That to me opens that up. Sure in an ideal world they'd love that 'perfect culture fit' But I'm not sure that'll matter now.

Speaking of boosters I heard that those same boosters are going to have a hand in helping the search committee do their thing... That'll be an interesting dynamic to their search...

I think to be accepted and have much success in that part of the country you have to be one of those Southern Gothic types like Bobby Bowden, Jimbo Fisher, Swinney, Orgeron, etc.

They have a couple coaches from Pennsylvania plus Stoops, but other than that everyone of 'em is a good ol' boy from south of the Mason/Dixon line. I mean, Ed Orgeron is literally Farmer Fran from Waterboy and doesn't even speak a shred of English, but he's the top dog.

You might be on to something. Aside from Stoops, you prolly gotta go back to Howard Schnellenberger to find a successful northern born coach in the Southeast/Texas/Oklahoma.

Just don't see Matt Campbell, Mark Stoops or PJ Fleck, leaving their respective schools.
Whenever they win 7 games in a season, the fan bases would build statues for these coaches.

Jameis helped Florida State win a Natty in 2013.
Nebraska wasn't happy with Bo Pelini's 9 wins/season, but at least Florida has talent within a tank of gas.

Typical carbetbaggers. Rubes can't see through these grifters. If the guy has any aspirations to ever win hardware, he has to go to FSU. There is definitely downside, but you can mitigate that with a big buyout. If he wants to hang out in Minnesota forever, he probably can, but if that program gets a little taste of back to back 10 win seasons, it's very possible they will get very angry when he draws a murderer's row schedule and has injury problems and finishes 6-6.
I still say that even if he went there, there's no way a Yankee gets any hardware unless he's got the football mind and staff of an Urban Meyer, and PJ Fleck is about as close to that as Jay Glazer is to being able to reach light switches.

It would be a huge step up for Campbell. Much better recruiting base by far. A school with actual football tradition. Plus he loses his entire offensive line and most of the defensive line. ISU is going to be awful in the trenches next season.

Vegas tried to calculate the odds of this, but the supercomputer that's calculating the digits of Pi couldn't handle integers of the size required for those odds.
You might be on to something. Aside from Stoops, you prolly gotta go back to Howard Schnellenberger to find a successful northern born coach in the Southeast/Texas/Oklahoma.
Urban Meyer, but the list gets real short after that.

Much better recruiting base by far.
Not really. The schools he'd be recruiting against would be exponentially better than what he deals with now. He might get better recruits, but playing in the SEC/ACC the odds are almost insurmountable.

I'm not saying he wouldn't go, but he's not going to win down there.

What about

Saban ( West Virginia )
Urban Meyer and Les Miles ( Ohio )

I consider West Virginia part of the Southeast - Nick has had his accent removed, but he's still a southerner. I forgot about Urban. Les Miles wasn't really successful - the guy won a title with Nick's guys and sucked big time once he had to stand on his own. He'll wind back up in the SEC in a few years and if he can get a program like Arkansas or South Carolina up to double digit wins a few times I'll put him in the good category.

Sounds like USC is going to open the vault up for Urban Meyer, and if I'm Urban Meyer then its really intriguing. The PAC 12 is garbage and it would be much easier to back into the playoffs in the PAC-12 than the Big 10 or ACC thanks to Clemson.

Rhule would be my guess, then possibly Fleck, then Campbell in order of probability.

I may be in the minority, but i dont see Matt Campbell leaving for a while. PJ seems to have baught into MN, but i still think hes a weasel.

Sounds like USC is going to open the vault up for Urban Meyer, and if I'm Urban Meyer then its really intriguing. The PAC 12 is garbage and it would be much easier to back into the playoffs in the PAC-12 than the Big 10 or ACC thanks to Clemson.
But USC is basically OSU West- why bother?

I would think if Urb comes back it'll be something different. A rebuild, or at least somewhere they've never won big.

funny, they have bobby bowden listed. No F way Urban goes to FSU.

Who's that Coach who was HC at Indiana and then joined Urban's staff. ? that guy

Rich Rod is about to graduate from Nick Saban's P5 coaches finishing school

You forgot Urban Meyer was born up north and coached in Florida.

Campbell, Fleck and Rhule make most sense to me.

I don’t see Franklin leaving PSU or Urban taking this job when he coached at Florida. I don’t see Jimbo going back.
Urb would have to be a Rick Pitino sized sleazeball to pull a Louisville after Kentucky type coaching move such as taking the Florida State job.

Oh wait.....

Orgeron sounds like a modern day Dizzy Dean. Full of down home rube-ishness but an assassin on the mound and a deceptively intelligent color guy in the broadcasters booth.

My grandfather, who taught me much of what i know about baseball, worshipped Dizzy Dean.

Typical carbetbaggers. Rubes can't see through these grifters. If the guy has any aspirations to ever win hardware, he has to go to FSU. There is definitely downside, but you can mitigate that with a big buyout. If he wants to hang out in Minnesota forever, he probably can, but if that program gets a little taste of back to back 10 win seasons, it's very possible they will get very angry when he draws a murderer's row schedule and has injury problems and finishes 6-6.
That would never happen. I simply can't imagine something like that ever happening, anywhere.

Latest posts