Has PJ Fleck taken the FSU job yet?

I think to be accepted and have much success in that part of the country you have to be one of those Southern Gothic types like Bobby Bowden, Jimbo Fisher, Swinney, Orgeron, etc.

They have a couple coaches from Pennsylvania plus Stoops, but other than that everyone of 'em is a good ol' boy from south of the Mason/Dixon line. I mean, Ed Orgeron is literally Farmer Fran from Waterboy and doesn't even speak a shred of English, but he's the top dog.

Yes, culture is huge. John Mackovic was a really successful coach at most all stops but iirc after doing very his first few years at Texas he had a bad year and was let go and I remember reading or hearing that his wearing ties during games with his crisp white shirts and his way of being, read into it being snooty and from Ohio, he rubbed the big boosters the wrong way. I am sure Rich Rod bringing in his new offense etc etc at Michigan did not go over well once he lost games. So these examples and others really prove your point.

It makes you wonder if Kirk would have even gotten an interview at Iowa if he hadnt of worked their under Fry and could talk to how he loved Iowa City and the U.

Just don't see Matt Campbell, Mark Stoops or PJ Fleck, leaving their respective schools.
Whenever they win 7 games in a season, the fan bases would build statues for these coaches.

Jameis helped Florida State win a Natty in 2013.
Nebraska wasn't happy with Bo Pelini's 9 wins/season, but at least Florida has talent within a tank of gas.

One thing to remember about Fleck is that Minnesota has a very loyal and passionate fan base but its also a very, very small fan base. They're one of the schools in which only students and graduates follow the team. They simply don't draw the casual fan locally. Imagine if Iowa, ISU, Wisconsin, Michigan, or Ohio St didn't draw outside of students and graduates?

I think Minnesota would be a good place to get a solid program going but if he ever wants to more than a mid-level kinda coach it probably won't happen there. Fan base is too small, they'll get passed over for good bowls. High school football there also isn't great for the size of the twin cities metro area so recruiting base isn't great. And Minneapolis will always be a Viking town, followed by the Twins & Wild.

A few things about FSU. Their scholarships are now NOT endowed and so they rely on booster money for that (heard that on a podcast) and also they have a Alumni association that is an appendage on the athletic department that holds the purse strings. Now they have a interim AD. Why would a decent AD want to go to a place where a bunch of used car dealers hold the purse strings. Wierd dynamics. I'm not so sure that it is a good place to go. If I'm a hot coach, just sit tight...other jobs will come open soon enough.

Last edited:
I'm sure he's on the list after Meyer who will tell them no. Maybe Matt Campbell too? With FSU showing that $ is no object to them they won't be scared of whatever buyout he's got that ISU fans seem to think will keep him there for awhile.

For Fleck this is his chance. With MN having the season they are this is it. Turning down a gig like that or similar would be like Brohm turning down the TN job and others like he did. I don't hear Brohms name being thrown out there anymore so much. Once you turn down gigs to stay at places like Purdue and MN.... That shine comes off the rose. I don't think the window closes completely for any of them but it don't stay the same

its cristobals job to turn down after meyer

A few things about FSU. Their scholarships are now endowed and so they rely on booster money for that (heard that on a podcast) and also they have a Alumni association that is an appendage on the athletic department that holds the purse strings. Now they have a interim AD. Why would a decent AD want to go to a place where a bunch of used car dealers hold the purse strings. Wierd dynamics. I'm not so sure that it is a good place to go. If I'm a hot coach, just sit tight...other jobs will come open soon enough.
I can just see those conversations, Coach, you just coach the boys up, we'll take care of all of the other details. Don't you worry none.

Just don't see Matt Campbell, Mark Stoops or PJ Fleck, leaving their respective schools.
Whenever they win 7 games in a season, the fan bases would build statues for these coaches.

Jameis helped Florida State win a Natty in 2013.
Nebraska wasn't happy with Bo Pelini's 9 wins/season, but at least Florida has talent within a tank of gas.

Yep they all have a good gig at their current schools because like you say there is not big expectations for them.

BUT after all three of these guys have had success I would really expect them to see Fl St as a chance for the golden ring and a Champ ring on their finger. Fl State has a couple of natty championships so it can be done.

Can it be done at ISU, Kentucky, or Minny, very unlikely.

A few things about FSU. Their scholarships are now NOT endowed and so they rely on booster money for that (heard that on a podcast) and also they have a Alumni association that is an appendage on the athletic department that holds the purse strings. Now they have a interim AD. Why would a decent AD want to go to a place where a bunch of used car dealers hold the purse strings. Wierd dynamics. I'm not so sure that it is a good place to go. If I'm a hot coach, just sit tight...other jobs will come open soon enough.

That seems weird that the coach cant get schoolie money from the Ath Dept budget itself

Why wouldn’t that be a good place to go? What advantage is there to being more connected to the school administration? I’m pretty sure it’s be a hell of a lot faster and easier making personnel decisions.

Plus, they aren’t really holding any more purse strings that any other donor base, if we figure an average scholarship is $18,000 based on a mix of in-state/out-of-state kids, that’s $1.5 million for the whole team. It’s chump change compared to what they bring in through operating revenue and general donations. I googled FSU and their athletics budget for next year is $108 million.

The donors have just as much control as always no matter who pays the scholarships. I can guarantee you they’re the ones who decided to fire slick Willie either way.

Why wouldn’t that be a good place to go? What advantage is there to being more connected to the school administration? I’m pretty sure it’s be a hell of a lot faster and easier making personnel decisions.

Plus, they aren’t really holding any more purse strings that any other donor base, if we figure an average scholarship is $18,000 based on a mix of in-state/out-of-state kids, that’s $1.5 million for the whole team. It’s chump change compared to what they bring in through operating revenue and general donations. I googled FSU and their athletics budget for next year is $108 million.

The donors have just as much control as always no matter who pays the scholarships. I can guarantee you they’re the ones who decided to fire slick Willie either way.

Except their Ath Dept is hemorrhaging big-time. Estimated they are currently losing $1 million to $1.5 million PER GAME (not sure why, or even if that's accurate, but it's what folks here in FL are saying).

Word is the U of M is planning to throw a bunch of money at Fleck to keep him. So he'll have to decide sooner rather than later if he wants to stay or pursue a premier job. (the buyout attached to a new deal would likely be prohibitive). This could backfire on Minnesota as his agent may say Thanks but we're not signing without an escape clause. Once that leaks out...the writing is on the wall.

Whether you like his over-the-top motivational style or not, it appears he can coach and knows how to build a program. He's gotten the kind of players he wants and they're playing for him. It'll be interesting to see if he plans to stay long term in Minneapolis. A Big Ten program is always a good gig and you could live in worse places (West Lafayette, Lincoln). The catch is...this is a Vikings town. Gopher fans jump on and off the bandwagon like few you'll see.

It'll be interesting.

Word is the U of M is planning to throw a bunch of money at Fleck to keep him. So he'll have to decide sooner rather than later if he wants to stay or pursue a premier job. (the buyout attached to a new deal would likely be prohibitive). This could backfire on Minnesota as his agent may say Thanks but we're not signing without an escape clause. Once that leaks out...the writing is on the wall.

Whether you like his over-the-top motivational style or not, it appears he can coach and knows how to build a program. He's gotten the kind of players he wants and they're playing for him. It'll be interesting to see if he plans to stay long term in Minneapolis. A Big Ten program is always a good gig and you could live in worse places (West Lafayette, Lincoln). The catch is...this is a Vikings town. Gopher fans jump on and off the bandwagon like few you'll see.

It'll be interesting.
Honestly he’d be best staying where he is. The list of folks who’ve flown the coop to the SEC or ACC and had success is very, very short. I love Big Ten football, but aside from Ohio State and possibly PSU, this is JV ball compared to the product down there. Fleck would absolutely be in over his head from day one, and if you think coaching pressure is high up here to the north, those fans and donors will tear you to fucking shreds in a heartbeat if you don’t produce right away. I think Fleck knows that, and he also knows he’d be a fool to leave his the cushiest job in the conference, especially when he could name his price to stay.

Except their Ath Dept is hemorrhaging big-time. Estimated they are currently losing $1 million to $1.5 million PER GAME (not sure why, or even if that's accurate, but it's what folks here in FL are saying).
My point in the post was just to illustrate that football scholarships are less than one percent of the total revenue generated, which is almost all from the football program. It’s inconsequential where that money comes from.

Honestly he’d be best staying where he is. The list of folks who’ve flown the coop to the SEC or ACC and had success is very, very short. I love Big Ten football, but aside from Ohio State and possibly PSU, this is JV ball compared to the product down there. Fleck would absolutely be in over his head from day one, and if you think coaching pressure is high up here to the north, those fans and donors will tear you to fucking shreds in a heartbeat if you don’t produce right away. I think Fleck knows that, and he also knows he’d be a fool to leave his the cushiest job in the conference, especially when he could name his price to stay.

If I had to lay a few bucks down, I'd be he stays too...for the reasons you mentioned. His "integrity" shtick will also take a bit of a hit if he leaves after year 3...not that that would matter in the SEC. Maybe he and the wife have their eyes on a West Coast home, UCLA or USC? I think he'll cash in big time at Minnesota but If he wins the B1G West once or twice...he'll be shopping in 3 years. He'll get the buyout he wants in a new deal.

The list of folks who’ve flown the coop to the SEC or ACC and had success is very, very short. I love Big Ten football, but aside from Ohio State and possibly PSU, this is JV ball compared to the product down there.

The ACC ain't tough. Clemson is basically like Iowa with better geography and without having to draw at least one powerhouse team every year. They really need FSU, Miami, GA Tech and VA Tech to come back to at least some level of respectability for that conference to regain some credibility. They were way behind on forming a TV network and the revenues are lagging the SEC and Big Ten in a major way. The conference is strong in hoops, but that doesn't drive the $$$.

Penn State, Michigan and Notre Dame are all JV ball. OSU has a legit program because it is in a high population state and has a monopoly on the best in-state talent in the region, plus a decent level of national pull. The rest of the teams in the North are garbage compared to the top Southern teams.

All that said, I do think the coaching from top to bottom in the Big Ten is better than the SEC (but Nick is the top dog in the country with Dabo right behind). The Big Ten has a bunch of really good coaches like Dantonio, Ferentz, Fitz, Chryst, Brohm, etc. who are good at peaking out mediocre programs and keeping them respectable more often than not and the fans will tolerate it. Programs like UT, Arkansas, Ol' Miss, etc. just swing for the fences and cannot fathom a long term rebuild and hope for that run of two good recruiting classes that pushes them to the conference title, so QBs get pulled all the time, coaches get fired, coordinators get rotated, etc. The SEC's (and programs like Nebraska's and FSU's) "win at all costs" mentality can turn a solid program into a dog turd really, really quickly. It's a high risk, high reward strategy, but when the "reward" is only recognized by one team a year, there are guaranteed to be a lot of losers playing that game.

I actually found this tweet interesting and hilarious. Matt Campbell best odds...

Checking flight aware for flights between Tallahassee and Ames. Nothing. Only flights into Ames are single engine Cessna's doing touch n go's.

Latest posts