Greg Garmon Transferring

Re: Garmon Transferring

Why do players lose a year of eligibility if they want to transfer? I've never understood the reason.

Why do players lose a year of eligibility if they want to transfer? I've never understood the reason.

to discourage smaller schools being poached by big programs. like if a kid all the sudden has a big year at jNW for example, Texas can't come calling and get him next year.

dude, with that offer list, he obviously made a bad decision coming here. just saying.
He came here because we were the only school willing to let him play RB. Everyone else wanted him on defense. And after watching him for a year, I'm starting to think the other schools were right.

Yeah it's unfortunate that Garmon didn't work out. He could have used a red shirt year in the weight room. Unfortunately most of the other running backs were busy transferring, getting arrested, or getting hurt, so he had to play early. He didn't look ready IMHO.

I have read that many others have blamed Ferentz for Garmon not redshirting. That isn't completely true, many players have said the staff leaves it up to the player to redshirt or not. I guarantee Garmon saw his change at early playing time and took it. That is on Garmon not Ferentz or the staff. You are completely right about the weight room but getting ready for the game speed at the college level and also allowing Greg Davis a chance to get settled in (not like that is really going to matter). I don't care what anyone says this past season was a "free pass" for Davis with Ferentz, he is trying to figure out how to take his offense and combine it with what Ferentz wants to do. It was bad, I don't see it getting much better but what do I know!

I don't understand this either, I can see if they want to transfer to another school within the conference but I don't understand why coaches can leave/quit/resign without any issues (otherwise stated in their contract).

EXACTLY!!!

FreedComanche

You are both insane. You know nothing about the situation, and I don't either. I did see Garmon look like the third or fourth best back on a 4-8 team this year, but he was young, so I won't argue that he can't improve. But how is this Kirk's fault? A freshman comes in and gets playing time, and now he's transferring, and you blame the coach for failing to exploit his talent? He played one season. For all we know, they tried to move him elsewhere in order to make better use of his talent and he declined the opportunity.

I free myself from suffering by eliminating desire for hawkeye wins - ergo I do not care. Not caring is the only path to true happiness.

I don't care anymore but I'm still unhappy. Well, maybe I care a little...I don't know.

I'm like an abused wife who thinks her husband loves her and won't beat the **** out of her again.. Kirk is the right man for the job, he won't keep kicking my ***, right?

You are both insane. You know nothing about the situation, and I don't either. I did see Garmon look like the third or fourth best back on a 4-8 team this year, but he was young, so I won't argue that he can't improve. But how is this Kirk's fault? A freshman comes in and gets playing time, and now he's transferring, and you blame the coach for failing to exploit his talent? He played one season. For all we know, they tried to move him elsewhere in order to make better use of his talent and he declined the opportunity.

Freed's sanity is always in question but if you can't see that Garmon wasn't being used correctly then I'm sorry. Although I don't agree with blaming Ferentz but still he wasn't being used to where he could be successful and actually help this team but points on the board.

Garmon should have been used as a hybrid RB/WR by doing pre-snap motion and sent him out to the slot. More screens, wheel routes, delayed handoffs out of the shotgun. Things like that would have allowed Garmon to be successful, he needed to be used out in space not lined up in an I-formation running straight up the gut or off tackle.

He came here because we were the only school willing to let him play RB. Everyone else wanted him on defense. And after watching him for a year, I'm starting to think the other schools were right.

i know carrying the rock is a glory position, but i gladly changed positions to get playing time. then, i found out that i liked D more. go figure.

hawkeyegamefilm had some good takes on it on his twitter. you all should check him out if you haven't.

Hey busa....just thought I'd post in this smoooooth thread first....before I head to the other one.

Oh...and it's too bad Garmon is transferring..

Latest posts