Greg Garmon Transferring

Re: Garmon Transferring

Rumblings in the River City suggest Garmon will not be the only RB transferring this year. Sorry to see him go, but it looks like his role on the team and playing time were at odds with what the staff saw. Hopefully he will find a program that better suits his skills and needs. Wish him well. Silly question but here goes: do you think Ferentz imposed any restrictions?

Probably not. Remember he's comfortable with everything now.

FreedComanche

People are just being silly now. In Rob howe's interview with Garmon's dad he said all parties felt it wasn't a good fit. I don't think Greg had a promising future re: playing time at Iowa in the zone scheme.

Deep down if anyone couldn't see this wasn't a great fit after a few games of him playing then they are just fooling themselves. Then again injuries the offensive line and the offensive scheme didn't help him either. I guess maybe Garmon wasn't open to a position change who knows maybe they never got that far because maybe he would have been buried in the depth chart at those positions as well. Either way, if he can't beat out the current players at any position then it is better that he leaves for him and the program.

Best of luck to him and his future hopefully he finds success where ever he goes.

Rumblings in the River City suggest Garmon will not be the only RB transferring this year. Sorry to see him go, but it looks like his role on the team and playing time were at odds with what the staff saw. Hopefully he will find a program that better suits his skills and needs. Wish him well. Silly question but here goes: do you think Ferentz imposed any restrictions?

If you read the article on Scout from Rob Howe that Jon posted it says that Garmon's father said "unrestricted release" was granted, meaning he could play anywhere except another big 10 team and be on scholarship unless the same rules apply to football as it does basketball (Uthoff situation). He would have to sit out a year if he goes to FBS or play right away at FCS.

This has given us a special opportunity to truly look into the AIRBHG. Garmon has yet to be seriously injured and he has stayed clean legally since coming to Iowa. The way I see it there was a 100% chance Garmon wouldn't have lasted at Iowa due various reasons. If we see him not get injured or have legal issues at his next stop that all but proves God hates Iowa's RB's. I think we all know how this is going to go.

He looks around and sees Weisman and Bullock just one year ahead of him and those two are going to play. Canzeri is same eligibility age. I too wonder if a position change of some level was discussed. Even if not, his chance at getting meaningful carries next year, barring injuries, weren't great. Weisman and Bullock are the two best knob commodities right now and Canzeri has proven it to the staff

A Wisconsin running back had a problem like this a few years ago. Montee Ball was his name, I think. Was a part time starter early in his career but then fell to third in the depth chart. Even fell behind even younger players on the roster. He too packed it in and decided the competition wasn't for him, and that's why no one's ever heard from him since.

People are just being silly now. In Rob howe's interview with Garmon's dad he said all parties felt it wasn't a good fit. I don't think Greg had a promising future re: playing time at Iowa in the zone scheme.

Yeah, that change to the zone blocking scheme after he committed was unfair to his running style.

A Wisconsin running back had a problem like this a few years ago. Montee Ball was his name, I think. Was a part time starter early in his career but then fell to third in the depth chart. Even fell behind even younger players on the roster. He too packed it in and decided the competition wasn't for him, and that's why no one's ever heard from him since.

Didn't he end up going the JUCO route or something?

Ok...What's the list of RBs that have stayed on to graduate without Injury or Suspension in the Kirk Ferentz era?

Well it's not a surprise. He burned his redshirt this year to play sparingly. He did get his feet wet but not alot. Then going into next year he's would have been (if all rbs are healthy and nothing changes) behind Weisman and Bullock not necessarily in that order. With also Canzeri back there's no guarantee he is ahead of him after spring. So if you've had a taste of it and clearly think you can play at this level do you see what your options are out there? Because he can either he can stay and be used no more than last yr or possibly not play at all or even god forbid be asked to change to a DB. Or he could go somewhere else redshirt and have 3 yrs to maybe be the man. Him leaving isn't a shocker. I thought I'd read that we also had an Ohio kid visit that has a 6'0 220 lb frame that was a BC commit looking around now... So as long as Canzeri sticks it out and no more injuries happen I'm not hitting the panic button yet.

But this is the Iowa Hawkeyes. We will lose at least one more of the top 4 before the season starts, then the others will go down before we get to conference play. Barkley Hill will start a game next season, and some walk on/service academy transfer will be getting meaningful carries, just like my namesake. It is inevitable.
Andre Dawson didn't look horrible in the open practice, so at least KF has a plan D after everyone else transfers or gets injured.

Yeah, that change to the zone blocking scheme after he committed was unfair to his running style.

I think what Jon and alot of people are saying is hindsight is always 20/20. Garmon and Iowa both thought it was going to be a good fit. Turns out it wasn't no need for people to turn on Garmon or Ferentz.

I think what Jon and alot of people are saying is hindsight is always 20/20. Garmon and Iowa both thought it was going to be a good fit. Turns out it wasn't no need for people to turn on Garmon or Ferentz.

7-5, 7-5, 4-8 (against a crappy Big 10 this year) is reason enough to start turning on KF.

You know that is the politically correct thing to say. Ferentz just lost another big talent because he couldn't figure out a way to use him.

Are you really comparingthis situation to that one ? Wow some people must watch a different type of football than I do. Or they are just born complainers

7-5, 7-5, 4-8 (against a crappy Big 10 this year) is reason enough to start turning on KF.

You are preaching to the choir my friend. My post was in response to a previous post I am wasn't sure if it was poked at Garmon, Ferentz or Jon's previous post, I don't know.

This situation with Garmon was just an unfortunately recruiting flop. I am not calling Garmon a flop but it didn't work out.

i know you just want the best RB's available, but don't you think maybe the staff should recruit kids who run between the tackles from now on? scrap recruiting RB's out of the spread systems, thinking you're going to change them into Weisman? might be something to try.

I don't think scheme had anything to do with it. Lets play the what if game. If Weisman and Bullock both blew their ACLs in the last game and probably wouldn't play next year and Garmon had a good/great last game and Ferentz says he's the man going into next year. Then he's not leaving. Regardless of the fit. He'd stick it out. Now did he come from an Oregon type of spread in HS I don't remember that being the case? Our running game is pretty running back friendly. We've had all types of runners be successful. Albert Young, Shonn Greene, Freddy Russell and Weisman/Coker (Coker and Weisman seemed similar to me). Those 4 out of 5 guys are all pretty different I don't think scheme matters.

You are preaching to the choir my friend. My post was in response to a previous post I am wasn't sure if it was poked at Garmon, Ferentz or Jon's previous post, I don't know.

This situation with Garmon was just an unfortunately recruiting flop. I am not calling Garmon a flop but it didn't work out.
Yeah it's unfortunate that Garmon didn't work out. He could have used a red shirt year in the weight room. Unfortunately most of the other running backs were busy transferring, getting arrested, or getting hurt, so he had to play early. He didn't look ready IMHO.

Latest posts