Greg Garmon Arrested

I'm gonna chime in now at the 11th hour.

Stormin is 100% right here, and to suggest that smoking weed is somehow worse than a DUI is insane and probably dangerous.

I'm a Clone fan, and I don't get why these things get so much run.

I'm with stormin, he'll probably get a game or two and that's fine.

Regardless of whether it SHOULD be legal or not, it is illegal so something probably needs done. People who think they should yank the scholarship are borderline insane in my opinion.

Agreed and Im just waiting for him to come back and insult everybody that disagrees with him. Pretty much par for the course for him. Quite the "mod" we have there.

I stand by everything I have said. I simply wont make excuses for poor decisions. As long as something is illegal, it is what it is. As i have also said about 6 times now, I have no doubt Garmon will be just fine. Yet that doesnt mean I will find every excuse in the book to justify it as no big deal. If that bothers you, so be it. Last time I checked it is a message board and if we all agreed it sure wouldnt be much fun. I am sure Spank can handle himself, he doesnt need interweb bodyguards fellas lol

You probably need to STFU about my parenting. I think I do a mighty fine job raising my kids. I am all about personal responsibility and accountability. At what point have I EVER said Garmon should not be held accountable for his actions? I am simply saying that people saying he should be kicked off the team, get his scholarship pulled, etc... need to get a grip. Again, it's weed... it's not like he was selling heroin, got a DUI, or bought a hooker. He got pulled over in a car that smelled like pot and the cop found a small amount of weed. He needs to be held accountable, but it's not a career ending violation. The bigger issue with Garmon is his Twitter account, some of the stuff on there makes you really hope it gets nixed by KF soon.

Just like being drunk on the job, employers don't want their employees high on the job. That's why you see random drug testing. In regards to speeding tickets, if you travel for you company and you get speeding tickets, a DUI, etc... most will not allow you to drive company vehicles and can take you off the road. If your job depends on this, guess what? You lost your job. So driving violations can be just as damaging as getting a positive drug test. I have several fellow managers/directors that are in the HR field and on several occasions when drug testing comes up, they say they do it to look for the "big ones" - cocaine, heroin, et al. They will talk to employees that ring up as pot smokers, but usually put them on probation and then re-test in 60 days.

You talk about the "real world" and people being ignorant because they live in small towns, but you seem to be pretty sheltered in your opinion on marijuana and how it's viewed by companies and other people in America.

Keep on keeping on, brother.

You've justifed about every excuse for Garmon. Really no idea why we need to compare it to other illegal drugs or even drunk driving. Last time I checked, non of those comparisons really matter here. I do agree with your above assessment, he will move on and not career ending, I hope. Most importantly, as you stated, lets hope his twitter account is not a true indication of him when he gets to Iowa. time will tell.

I again stand by my comments, we will have to agree to disagree at this point. Not going to change any opinions here.

I will say, I apologize for the parenting remark, I should not have said that as by every indication you are a good guy/parent. So my apologies for that remark.

I'm gonna chime in now at the 11th hour.

Stormin is 100% right here, and to suggest that smoking weed is somehow worse than a DUI is insane and probably dangerous.

Well if you drive while under the influence of marijuana, you can be charged with a DUI.

Not saying weed is as bad as alcohol, but by the law that stands today it is seen as that.

Sure, it is everywhere, you are correct. Higher degree in small towns. This is why many stay in small towns..they would end up flipping burgers in larger cities.

It is just weed to spank, however, many large companies still conduct drug testing. But hey, just like a speeding ticket, right? Just the same to companies hiring too, right? Lol. These people have little to no shot in the real world if they cant grasp it.

In my small town, people were a lot more accountable. You got your *** whipped if you screwed up and other people's parents would call your parents and let them know what you had done...that is after they got on your butt for doing it...which is as it should be.

I see waaaaaaay more excuse making in the burbs. It's never the fault of your own kid, its always someone else.

Sure is easy to tell the posters that love to smoke a little weed. Not all that shocking, I suppose. The issue has little to do with weed, I know you arent getting that. It continues to be poor decisions that Iowa players are making.

I don't smoke weed and wouldn't if it were legal. I do think that the criminality of it is a bit of a joke given that I equate it to alcohol.

But the fact is pretty simple. The kid knows weed is illegal. It ain't jaywalking. It's a drug arrest on your record and that is never a good thing. It's illegal, and he has the chance to be a starting running back in the Big Ten as a freshman and he chose to have it with him in a car with expired tags. That's a whole lot of stupid right there. Poor decision making. Not a little thing.

I don't smoke weed and wouldn't if it were legal. I do think that the criminality of it is a bit of a joke given that I equate it to alcohol.

But the fact is pretty simple. The kid knows weed is illegal. It ain't jaywalking. It's a drug arrest on your record and that is never a good thing. It's illegal, and he has the chance to be a starting running back in the Big Ten as a freshman and he chose to have it with him in a car with expired tags. That's a whole lot of stupid right there. Poor decision making. Not a little thing.

You just said it better in one post than i did in 30 tries. I agree on all accounts, Jon.

In my small town, people were a lot more accountable. You got your *** whipped if you screwed up and other people's parents would call your parents and let them know what you had done...that is after they got on your butt for doing it...which is as it should be.

I see waaaaaaay more excuse making in the burbs. It's never the fault of your own kid, its always someone else.

The bolded part x1000.

That is how it should be across the board!

Well said.

I'm too pressed for time (actually, too lazy) to go back and read all the posts on the topic. What's Garmon's status with the program now, or has Ferentz said?

and as it relates to Garmon's arrest, even if you are in the camp that weed isn't that big of a deal...

This is major college athletics. This is also a program that has had a few instances with players and drugs or other off field instances. The climate in Iowa City is not good right now for this type of thing (not that it's ever welcoming for that, but things just seem extra sensitive over there right now). Coker's situation wasn't weed related but i am of the opinion that he was not given a choice to stay at Iowa, which was not something the football program agreed with.

and as it relates to Garmon's arrest, even if you are in the camp that weed isn't that big of a deal...

This is major college athletics. This is also a program that has had a few instances with players and drugs or other off field instances. The climate in Iowa City is not good right now for this type of thing (not that it's ever welcoming for that, but things just seem extra sensitive over there right now). Coker's situation wasn't weed related but i am of the opinion that he was not given a choice to stay at Iowa, which was not something the football program agreed with.

It is definitely not intramurals.

If it is illegal, don't do it. simple as that really.

when did this become an argument about whether weed should be legal or not? that argument has no bearing on this situation because, as of right now, weed is ILLEGAL. just like drinking under 21 is illegal. just because several people do it and break the same law doesn't make it "okay". Garmon should and will be punished and then hopefully move on and learn from his mistakes.

to the "it should be legal" argument, i don't disagree with you. could bring a lot of extra money into this country. however, as someone mentioned earlier, there's no test that can be administered to show whether someone is currently under the influence of weed. until that happens, i don't feel weed should be legalized.

All conversations about weed on this board devolve into "weed should be legal" discussions.

The problem is that it is illegal. That's just reality. The "MJ should be legal" discussion should have it's own permanent thread, tacked to the top of the board. LOL.

That way, if you don't want to read the "hemp will save the planet and pot is good for you" you won't have to read it. :)

All conversations about weed on this board devolve into "weed should be legal" discussions.

The problem is that it is illegal. That's just reality. The "MJ should be legal" discussion should have it's own permanent thread, tacked to the top of the board. LOL.

That way, if you don't want to read the "hemp will save the planet and pot is good for you" you won't have to read it. :)

Totally agree. And my intentions weren't to encourage that talk.
I'm just saying on the scale of "boner things to do off-the-field", getting caught with a small amt of pot isn't a huge red flag... the guy's Twitter feed, yes. I'm not saying give him a pass, but fans shouldn't act as if the guy just stole laptops or beat up a dude in a bar fight while he was underage and drunk.

He will be punished, it'll be a game or two and everyone will go on with their lives. He needs to come to a realization, though, that he isn't going to get many (if ANY) second chances. Needs to learn from the mistake.

Latest posts