Greg Davis Still Sucks

That's why u hated the deep ball call. Our best chance was to slowly move the ball down the field and score with no time left on the clock. Even if we complete the miracle deep ball, it leaves Michigan enough time to go down and score again. When we were so good at running the ball and picking up 1st downs, and so bad at throwing the ball, why take that risk when it is not in your benefit to score early? If we were having trouble moving the ball at that point it would have been a good idea. But that wasn't the case.

You point out a key aspect some are missing, KF didn't want any time left on the clock for Michigan to take another shot. I thought that last drive was very well played.

He doesn't drop passes or throw INTs tho

While I agree with this 100%, I also don't understand why he took the ball out of Wadley's hands on the play CJ threw the INT. Wadley had just made a few huge plays and we were in a position in which both the clock and the field position were on our side. I was shocked we went deep rather than going back to the one thing (Wadley) that was working for us. If the original call was audibled than I retract my statement as I don't remember.

That said I didn't see anything different in terms of play calling offensively. Just a group of guys that played with everything they had and left it all out on the field.

You point out a key aspect some are missing, KF didn't want any time left on the clock for Michigan to take another shot. I thought that last drive was very well played.
Slow, methodical drives compresses the offense and their defense into 10-20 yard boxes. Taking shots downfield opens up more of the field. More than one down-the-field-shot should be taken in a game. The downfield shot(s) should be taken earlier in games unless it's a last ditch effort to score.

One doesn't employ slow, methodical offenses for the entirety of games just to take time off game clocks on general principle (unless one is KF). One takes time off game clocks with slow, methodical drives for specific situations.

Speed is overrated for WRs, its needed but Jerry Rice wasn't very fast. He ran precise routes and held on to the ball.

Oh wow... did you ever see someone ever run Jerry Rice down? Rice had unusual explosiveness. That explosiveness also worked after cuts.

One of my sons had a 40 right at Rice's level. In sectional track in a bigger population state he'd be the only white kid in the 100 and one of the few under 6 foot. He was always first out of the block and still leading at about 35. By 100 he'd be middle to somewhat further back in the pack. In college soccer, no one could stay with him when he had the ball.

To say Jerry Rice wasn't fast is just not correct. Game speed and straight line speed are different. His ability to get to speed fantastic.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/7/2/12080552/jerry-rice-clearly-wasn-t-fast-enough

Rice didn't run precise routes. He also knew where to go.

Iowa receivers clearly don't have what it takes either in speed and savvy. I doubt KF want's them to know where to go but to run precise routes.

Oh wow... did you ever see someone ever run Jerry Rice down? Rice had unusual explosiveness. That explosiveness also worked after cuts.

One of my sons had a 40 right at Rice's level. In sectional track in a bigger population state he'd be the only white kid in the 100 and one of the few under 6 foot. He was always first out of the block and still leading at about 35. By 100 he'd be middle to somewhat further back in the pack. In college soccer, no one could stay with him when he had the ball.

To say Jerry Rice wasn't fast is just not correct. Game speed and straight line speed are different. His ability to get to speed fantastic.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/7/2/12080552/jerry-rice-clearly-wasn-t-fast-enough

Rice didn't run precise routes. He also knew where to go.

Iowa receivers clearly don't have what it takes either in speed and savvy. I doubt KF want's them to know where to go but to run precise routes.

An anecdotal fallacy is not a convincing argument.

I still want Davis gone without question. Parker earned some good will though. I haven't seen the defense look that aggressive and disciplined since the days of Norm.

An anecdotal fallacy is not a convincing argument.

Don't let logic get in your way. Go ahead and win with nonexplosive and slow receivers...

Your premise about Rice being slow is quite laughable. Guess I missed him being run down all the time.

Don't let logic get in your way. Go ahead and win with nonexplosive and slow receivers...

Your premise about Rice being slow is quite laughable. Guess I missed him being run down all the time.

Well it is good to know that it isn't just me, you simply don't like your opinions to be challenged at all.

I think that anyone who would say the Jerry Rice isn't very fast is wrong, just like I think anyone who said Rice "didn't run very good routes" was wrong.

Not a huge GD fan, but it's hard to blame him for lack of talent at the WR position. SPEED alone could turn this offense around.
SPEED kills,
as was evident from last nights game even a 9 man. Now for the love of God get out and recruit some more SPEED at the skill positions.

Please don't be that guy who obviously hasn't watched Hawkeye football for the last 18 years. Take a look at the current WR verbals. Do they fit your needs? Would they be properly used if they did? The answer to both is no.

Kirk has recruited speed but doesn't use it like he should. Canzeri was a track star. He only got the starting nod (yes I know he was a RB, the point is under-utilized speed) after everyone else went down. Remember Paul Chaney? Burner ------> Bench Warmer. Damond Powell? Fast -----> under-utilized. Keenan Davis? 4 star. Burnt his redshirt for no reason. Tevaun Smith? Woefully under-used. Willies? Coaches didn't like the fact he wanted the ball. Can you see where this is going?

Why don't they use Mitchell more at WR? Why not give D.King a few plays on offense? Maybe not burners, just playmakers. Hey, we could use those types at WR.

Look, I understand the WR complaint. But if you exonerate the coaches using the player excuse then that means we lost to NDSU cuz they have more talent. And that's just not true.

Last edited:
Speed is overrated for WRs, its needed but Jerry Rice wasn't very fast. He ran precise routes and held on to the ball.

On a track, Rice probably wasn't fast. In pads and a helmet, running a route or with a football in his hands being chased by people, he's one of the fastest WRs who have ever played. Call it heart, ego, relentlessness, speed, whatever, the man didn't get caught from behind often. I don't know of a better definition of being fast.

On a track, Rice probably wasn't fast. In pads and a helmet, running a route or with a football in his hands being chased by people, he's one of the fastest WRs who have ever played. Call it heart, ego, relentlessness, speed, whatever, the man didn't get caught from behind often. I don't know of a better definition of being fast.

True. But I think the better way to talk about WRs at Iowa is to replace the word "fast" or "speed" with the word "talent". DJK had the quality you refer to in Jerry Rice (he also had some terrible social qualities). What I mean is, DJK maybe couldn't win track trophies. But like you imply when mentioning Jerry Rice, DJK's motto of make plays or die is what Iowa needs at WR. Like the time he was the only one who showed up against Minnesota. Whatever DJK was like off the field, on game day he turned it up to 11, and he delivered reliably. Not perfectly, just better than most.

Of course the problem is players with his talent come with swagger. And KF has said publicly, "That's not the Iowa way.":rolleyes:

Still think Iowa needs a coach dedicated to teaching the receivers the finer points of the craft- routes, jumping / diving for the ball, etc. Most of the guys out there the last few years seem to have decent speed, but lack receiver skills. For example, the interception Saturday night was a bad pass, but all Smith can do is stumble a few steps before falling down? Go get the ball!

And, yes, I know they have a wr coach - so I'm saying he's not doing his job.

Well it is good to know that it isn't just me, you simply don't like your opinions to be challenged at all.

I think that anyone who would say the Jerry Rice isn't very fast is wrong, just like I think anyone who said Rice "didn't run very good routes" was wrong.

Well, I'm sorry you can't read and interpret. Where did I say Rice didn't run routes very well? You are just being stupid and frankly a liar. When you are being stupid and lying I will call you out. Only I don't use words like Douche. OK then, you are being a douche.

Jerry Rice is maybe the best receiver ever. I said his game speed was fantastic. I challenged the idea that he was not fast. The guy was phenomenal at game speed. The other thing I said was that he knew where to go and changed routes. Few receivers could accelerate 20/30 yards and be at speed like Rice. His 40 time was something like 4.7 during a time before fancy electronic measurements.

I honestly don't get where you are coming from. I would also guess I am not alone.

Last edited:
I'm elated with the win and hope they can keep the momentum going these last 2 weeks.

With that being said, I would be all for Davis and Kennedy being replaced after the season. We have seen no appreciable increase in the talent at wide receiver during their tenures. In fact, I would say that during their 5 year tenure, they have overseen the worst group of wide receivers over that 5 year period in the entirety of KFs tenure. Add to that a complete lack of imagination in the passing game and, what appears on the surface anyway, a completely unnecessarily complex passing playbook that doesn't allow our receivers to play fast....instead they are always having to think.

But we can deal with that after the season.

GD has enough talent at WR to have a passing game better than what it is. I'm sorry but when you have athletes at Ill. St., and Western Michigan that throw for 287 and 218 respectively vs jNW that tells me it is more than just about WR "talent". Smith, Falconer, Scheel, McCareon all would be dominate WR at that level. Plenty of schools can throw the ball with much less WR talent than what Iowa has. It is about the scheme as well as the WR talent.

Pat Fitzgerald has made a living from sending smallish receivers, fullbacks and running backs on safe patterns 5 yards past the LOS and to stand by the sideline. The defense guards the rest of their receivers downfield and if no one is open they throw it to these wide open guys by the sideline to gain at least 5 yards. If they make you miss they get more yards. It aint rocket science but for some reason we are flunking the test. Seimeion , Thorson, Persa and others look great in their offense.

Slow, methodical drives compresses the offense and their defense into 10-20 yard boxes. Taking shots downfield opens up more of the field. More than one down-the-field-shot should be taken in a game. The downfield shot(s) should be taken earlier in games unless it's a last ditch effort to score.

One doesn't employ slow, methodical offenses for the entirety of games just to take time off game clocks on general principle (unless one is KF). One takes time off game clocks with slow, methodical drives for specific situations.

Except this entire conversation is talking about the last drive and not the game overall.

Where did I say Rice didn't run routes very well? You are just being stupid and frankly a liar. When you are being stupid and lying I will call you out. Only I don't use words like Douche. OK then, you are being a douche.

Rice didn't run precise routes.

Not sure why you are saying I'm a liar. You said in your post that Rice didn't run precise routes. I'd say that 90%+ of all NFL receivers are gonna run pretty precise routes, and you don't think Rice ran them precisely. So I guess I just took that to mean he didn't run very good routes.

I love how you act like you never say a bad word about others, only if they "attack you". Yet you come at me calling me stupid and a liar because I don't believe something that you posted???? (that Rice didn't run good routes/precise routes, however you want to split hairs here). Before that you attacked a guy who felt that Rice wasn't all that fast by NFL standards. Yep, you is Mr. innocent over there, never a bad word to say about others (unless they disagree with you that is).

Latest posts