Greg Davis Still Sucks

I didn't have a problem with the interception playcall. It was open, Michigan dared us to go deep by stacking the box and going 1 on 1. In this scenario, (and it hurts me to say this) it was lack of execution.

I am with you I didn't mind the call either. If he had a chance to step into the throw who knows, the odds of connecting definitely increase.

Just want to keep this in check as we all have our upset high.

Offense still looked awful. Awful on 3rd down. Wadley carries this dead carcass of a offense to victory tonight. All hail Wadley, please start the o-coordinator search.
Oline ran blocked probably better than anyone has all year on Michigan........

He was pretty solid on the game winning drive. The first down screen was a ballsy call and the qb run was a good call. The Wadley misdirection pitches were good calls and several of the longer throws that CJ missed were wide open. While I'm not a fan of Davis I believe he has been hampered by a below average qb. I have no problem with the calls tonight aside from the fake punt which no doubt came from ferentz.

the way C.J. was throwing the ball tonight, I wouldn't have either.

You're missing the big picture.

How many times have we scored 14 points this season?

Now rethink what it means to be happy we don't go for the kill shot. If the FG had been missed would you still be saying the same thing? The answer is no.

You're missing the big picture.

How many times have we scored 14 points this season?

Now rethink what it means to be happy we don't go for the kill shot. If the FG had been missed would you still be saying the same thing? The answer is no.

Very very rarely does a team go for "the kill shot" in that situation... inside the teams 30 needing a FG to win.

If you watch 10 games with the same situation you will see them play it that way 9 times.

Yeah Davis sucks... but them not throwing into the endzone wasn't one of those suck moments.

Very very rarely does a team go for "the kill shot" in that situation... inside the teams 30 needing a FG to win.

If you watch 10 games with the same situation you will see them play it that way 9 times.

Yeah Davis sucks... but them not throwing into the endzone wasn't one of those suck moments.

I'm not gonna change any minds. But playing that series as if there is only one option, is why Iowa will never reach its potential under Cirk. I understand that it is the safe option. And I'm not saying you abandon that option. But if the other team knows you're just gonna run the ball with zero creativity they can often stop you. CJB's legs and Wadley were the difference but imagine that last series with Weisman instead. It would've been plays just as pedestrian and probably less successful. I believe you never take an option off the table. But our fans have finally gotten to the point that winning by FG feels like the only option in a Cirk-program.

Anyway we won and I'm an asshole for arguing after a victory.

The run game calls were pretty solid. oline was good in run and pass protection. using more misdirection and finding ways to get Wadley to the edge and in space.

I truly don't know how the do the run/pass calling between Davis and Brian...but the run game is light years more innovative than the pass game, at least tonight it was.

The WR route calls are atrocious, again. CJ was off but I maintain that while the WR aren't great, the routes the run do not help them...or CJ. they make no sense. No crossing, no seams, no rubs. no slants.

Wadley tho....

I'm not gonna change any minds. But playing that series as if there is only one option, is why Iowa will never reach its potential under Cirk. I understand that it is the safe option. And I'm not saying you abandon that option. But if the other team knows you're just gonna run the ball with zero creativity they can often stop you. CJB's legs and Wadley were the difference but imagine that last series with Weisman instead. It would've been plays just as pedestrian and probably less successful. I believe you never take an option off the table. But our fans have finally gotten to the point that winning by FG feels like the only option in a Cirk-program.

Winning by a field goal against the number 3 team in the nation will always be fine by me no matter who our coach is. We were running the ball good and our passing game sucks balls and you think it was a good idea to throw for the endzone? There were 3 great calls on the last drive. The screen, the pitch, and the qb draw. It might have been GD finest moment at Iowa and you use it as an example of him sucking?

The run game calls were pretty solid. oline was good in run and pass protection. using more misdirection and finding ways to get Wadley to the edge and in space.

I truly don't know how the do the run/pass calling between Davis and Brian...but the run game is light years more innovative than the pass game, at least tonight it was.

The WR route calls are atrocious, again. CJ was off but I maintain that while the WR aren't great, the routes the run do not help them...or CJ. they make no sense. No crossing, no seams, no rubs. no slants.

Wadley tho....

If our run plays were called like this all year, we would have at least 2 more wins. Tonight's run game was one of the reasons Kirk was called New Kirk last year. It was actually imaginative.

Winning by a field goal against the number 3 team in the nation will always be fine by me no matter who our coach is. We were running the ball good and our passing game sucks balls and you think it was a good idea to throw for the endzone? There were 3 great calls on the last drive. The screen, the pitch, and the qb draw. It might have been GD finest moment at Iowa and you use it as an example of him sucking?

Or, possibly...the "run game coordinators" calls. honestly, I have no clue how all that works...but te run game was stellar tonight (Wadley was incredible)...even against a 9 man box.

I think Kirk is historically too conservative and I don't like Greg Davis.

However, most coaches, even of ones with explosive offenses play it the same way as the hawks did. That's the point your missing. The conservative strategy at the end there was typical for most teams.

Honestly if you have watched a lot of football you should know this.

I think Kirk is historically too conservative and I don't like Greg Davis.

However, most coaches, even of ones with explosive offenses play it the same way as the hawks did. That's the point your missing. The conservative strategy at the end there was typical for most teams.

Honestly if you have watched a lot of football you should know this.

Yea this one is pretty cut and dry. Weird stance to take. It's not even conservative it's just smart. You don't take shots at the end zone before you kick a 33 yard field goal down 2.

I thought the interception call was a good play call. Receiver had a step on DB and CJ got hit right when he released it causing the underthrow IMO. It was there.

But good grief, how many 3rd and 5 or 6 with no Akrum on the field?? And why do we always go in the shotgun in those situations?? SO predictable. SO frustrating. We are telling the defense pass only. At least have Akrum in there if must be in the Gun to threaten to run at least. Have we ever run out of the Gun? And LD didn't block anyone several times anyway in pass protection.

Agreed, that would have a TD if it wasn't so poorly under thrown. Was happy to see CJ of last year show up on that last possession.

That pass was underthrown cuz CJ got drilled once again in the right ribs as he threw the pass.

The interception was right in front of where I sit. Smith had 5 yards on the DB but was still zigging and zagging 30 yards down field. I was watching his route and didn't see if CJ waited a second too long to throw it or if the route was designed to have Smith make those moves way down field. It was definitely a missed opportunity but showed we can get guys open downfield if they try.

He was pretty solid on the game winning drive. The first down screen was a ballsy call and the qb run was a good call. The Wadley misdirection pitches were good calls and several of the longer throws that CJ missed were wide open. While I'm not a fan of Davis I believe he has been hampered by a below average qb. I have no problem with the calls tonight aside from the fake punt which no doubt came from ferentz.

I dont think that was a called fake punt. The punt snap was high which takes nearly a whole second to high point it and come down and get back in the kicking motion. there were 3 wolves totally bearing down on coluzzi for the block, he did the smart thing and took off with the ball.

The interception was right in front of where I sit. Smith had 5 yards on the DB but was still zigging and zagging 30 yards down field. I was watching his route and didn't see if CJ waited a second too long to throw it or if the route was designed to have Smith make those moves way down field. It was definitely a missed opportunity but showed we can get guys open downfield if they try.

He was separated and open. I still say we have enough speed at WR. we simply don't run the routes or plays to use it.

Greg did take a shot downfield on the previous possession. A possession that looked likely like Iowa's last. Play was there but was a complete train wreck in execution as were most of the pass play calls all night. Hawks were extremely fortunate to get one more shot at it and Kirk actually used his timeouts correctly. The Hawks' highest likelihood of winning was doing exactly what they did down the stretch. Nothing is guaranteed, but it was definitely their highest likelihood. Should of kept running it on previous possession imo.

Latest posts