Greg Davis Still Sucks

He was separated and open. I still say we have enough speed at WR. we simply don't run the routes or plays to use it.

There really isn't any reason for receivers not to. E open if they are running the right kind of routes and are taught the right way to use their head and bodie to fake the defender one way and then break the other. It will always shake a defender for the split second and allow the QB the opening he needs. The offense should always have the advantage simply because they know where the ball is going and the end point of where the reception will be made.

Once upon a time defenders were taught to play so close to the receiver that the term "being inside their jersey" was developed. You had to play that way to try to prevent the completed pass by either intercepting it or knocking it down. If you weren't quick enough to defend this way you would soon be replaced by someone who was. There were no five to seven yard cushions. I miss seeing this type of defensive aggressiveness. It is still done on occasion during blitz packages but not that often.

Greg did take a shot downfield on the previous possession. A possession that looked likely like Iowa's last. Play was there but was a complete train wreck in execution as were most of the pass play calls all night. Hawks were extremely fortunate to get one more shot at it and Kirk actually used his timeouts correctly. The Hawks' highest likelihood of winning was doing exactly what they did down the stretch. Nothing is guaranteed, but it was definitely their highest likelihood. Should of kept running it on previous possession imo.

That's why u hated the deep ball call. Our best chance was to slowly move the ball down the field and score with no time left on the clock. Even if we complete the miracle deep ball, it leaves Michigan enough time to go down and score again. When we were so good at running the ball and picking up 1st downs, and so bad at throwing the ball, why take that risk when it is not in your benefit to score early? If we were having trouble moving the ball at that point it would have been a good idea. But that wasn't the case.

Not a huge GD fan, but it's hard to blame him for lack of talent at the WR position. SPEED alone could turn this offense around. This has been an issue for Iowa for many yrs though, not new to GD.

New game plan: get Wadley the rock by any means necessary. SPEED kills, as was evident from last nights game even a 9 man stacked box cant stop what it can't catch. Wadley's just a junior, so this works for 2017 as well. Now for the love of God get out and recruit some more SPEED at the skill positions.

I agree. His route combinations and scheme are unbelievable to me. 3rd and 7, man coverage...everyone run 5 yds. and turn around and act like a statue. That was about every 3rd down play that we threw the ball. I can't believe he hasn't heard of running rub routes and crossing routes against man coverage........He can't leave fast enough for me. Thank goodness we've had a couple pretty good QB's (Rudock, CJ) since he's been here, that could 'salvage' plays even in his scheme. Can you imagine what Rudock and CJ could do with a good coordinator? Oh, we saw what Rudock could do last year....:)

Unfortunately, the longer he works with a QB, the worse they get. Ferentz needs to see this and make the change.

I wonder what Iowa's offense would look like if Davis was allowed to do all game planning and play calling without any influence from Ferentz. I don't think he is a good OC but having Ferentz oversee the offense is not helping matters.

I wonder what Iowa's offense would look like if Davis was allowed to do all game planning and play calling without any influence from Ferentz. I don't think he is a good OC but having Ferentz oversee the offense is not helping matters.
KF designs and game plans the route combos? KF calls the plays? Have you EVER seen KF with a play chart in his hands? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, but always good to hear un-informed opinions from the 'crazies' out there..........,lol

KF designs and game plans the route combos? KF calls the plays? Have you EVER seen KF with a play chart in his hands? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, but always good to hear un-informed opinions from the 'crazies' out there..........,lol

Kirk has said publicly that he has "veto power" over all play calls and spends most of his time with offensive coaches for game planning during the week.

Call me uniformed all you want. You obviously haven't been paying attention to the man's press conferences.

That pass was underthrown cuz CJ got drilled once again in the right ribs as he threw the pass.
Also Smith never seems to look for the ball until the very end. Because of this he can't adjust his route accordingly. The DB on him saw the ball before Smith did and made a break for the ball. On another play, he actually turned 270 to adjust for an over the shoulder pass rather simply turn 90 degrees.

3rd and 2 are so frustrating to me. Especially, the last two weeks. You could close your eyes and basically explain where Iowa is going with the ball. LD has been stuffed what 5 or 6 times in the last two weeks on 3rd and 2?

Just want to keep this in check as we all have our upset high.

Offense still looked awful. Awful on 3rd down. Wadley carries this dead carcass of a offense to victory tonight. All hail Wadley, please start the o-coordinator search.

Completely agree, this game was won by the defense and wadley playing in a different gear. Davis is still a calling plays for Vince Young in his head

Greg did take a shot downfield on the previous possession. A possession that looked likely like Iowa's last. Play was there but was a complete train wreck in execution as were most of the pass play calls all night. Hawks were extremely fortunate to get one more shot at it and Kirk actually used his timeouts correctly. The Hawks' highest likelihood of winning was doing exactly what they did down the stretch. Nothing is guaranteed, but it was definitely their highest likelihood. Should of kept running it on previous possession imo.

Absolutely! The run game was doing its job and derKrkFeravis was finally using Wadley& CJ in space, tonight. Under the circumstances, the long pass was dumb.
Thank God the D was in beast mode and was not going to let derKirkFeravis beat them.

GD and his offense is a joke. Its been that way since he got here! Last year was his only good year and it was because we played the sisters of the poor every week. The longer he sticks around the worse off the program is. Anyone who defends him just needs to look at how historically bad Iowas O is this year and every other year under him.

He was pretty solid on the game winning drive. The first down screen was a ballsy call and the qb run was a good call. The Wadley misdirection pitches were good calls and several of the longer throws that CJ missed were wide open. While I'm not a fan of Davis I believe he has been hampered by a below average qb. I have no problem with the calls tonight aside from the fake punt which no doubt came from ferentz.

The fake punt didn't come from KF. I'm sure he signed off on it, but KF doesn't manage the play-to-play aspects of the game.

I'm not gonna change any minds. But playing that series as if there is only one option, is why Iowa will never reach its potential under Cirk. I understand that it is the safe option. And I'm not saying you abandon that option. But if the other team knows you're just gonna run the ball with zero creativity they can often stop you. CJB's legs and Wadley were the difference but imagine that last series with Weisman instead. It would've been plays just as pedestrian and probably less successful. I believe you never take an option off the table. But our fans have finally gotten to the point that winning by FG feels like the only option in a Cirk-program.

e wAnyway won and I'm an asshole for arguing er a victory.aft

<<Anyway we won and I'm an asshole for arguing a victory>>

I'll second the majority of that sentiment :)

Just want to keep this in check as we all have our upset high.

Offense still looked awful. Awful on 3r!d down. Wadley carries this dead carcass of a offense to victory tonight. All hail Wadley, please start the o-coordinator search.
CAP LET GD WORK OR DO HIS JOB! CAP WOKE UP.

We won because of Wadley and a DL that decided to try hard.

But yes, this isn't like we fixed anything. Even when we win we set football back decades
It was Davis who decided to give the ball most of the time in the running game and all those passing opportunities to Wadley. Throwing to a running back? Unheard of with KF and some of you others. Giving the ball most of the time to a back weighing 190 LBS. soaking wet and not so good on pass blocking? Not KF or some of you guys. KF or some of you guys would rather put a runner like Weisman in most of the way and put 'the speedster' Daniels in to run the sweeps or throw most of the time to tight ends on crossing routes.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna change any minds. But playing that series as if there is only one option, is why Iowa will never reach its potential under Cirk. I understand that it is the safe option. And I'm not saying you abandon that option. But if the other team knows you're just gonna run the ball with zero creativity they can often stop you. CJB's legs and Wadley were the difference but imagine that last series with Weisman instead. It would've been plays just as pedestrian and probably less successful. I believe you never take an option off the table. But our fans have finally gotten to the point that winning by FG feels like the only option in a Cirk-program.

Anyway we won and I'm an asshole for arguing after a victory.

You won't change my mind because you are wrong. Let me take a crack and explaining to you why you are wrong.

If you score too quickly it give Michigan a chance to have the ball at the end. Lets say we run only passing plays as quickly as we can, and we get into the end zone with 27 sec. left. Now you have to kick the ball to them. It isn't like you can time it perfectly and score a TD with 0 sec. left......yet you CAN do that with a FG.

You basically get the game to a point where you either win or lose on a pretty high % play. Duncan was 7 of 8 on FG going into that kick. You put him on the field where he likes to kick from, so you are giving your team the best % chance to win that you possibly could. As a coach that is all you can do. Why go for the 15% play (trying to get a TD) where you can get a 87.5% play and get into FG position and give Michigan no chance to get the ball back.

Anyway Josh, we might disagree on this, but sometime fans don't really think these things through. Why play for the low % play when you have a very high % play sitting right in your back pocket?

I dont think that was a called fake punt. The punt snap was high which takes nearly a whole second to high point it and come down and get back in the kicking motion. there were 3 wolves totally bearing down on coluzzi for the block, he did the smart thing and took off with the ball.

It wasn't a called play, Coluzi said as much. He said he didn't think he could get the kick off when the snap was high and outside.

GD has enough talent at WR to have a passing game better than what it is. I'm sorry but when you have athletes at Ill. St., and Western Michigan that throw for 287 and 218 respectively vs jNW that tells me it is more than just about WR "talent". Smith, Falconer, Scheel, McCareon all would be dominate WR at that level. Plenty of schools can throw the ball with much less WR talent than what Iowa has. It is about the scheme as well as the WR talent.

Latest posts