Greatest Individual Game In Iowa History

He’s 63 years old and been coaching for 40 years. He ain’t changin’. If you can’t handle Fran it’s probably best to check out until his tenure is over.

Would you rather have Lick or Alford? I’d rather have Fran than Mr. Tom.

Mr Tom wouldn’t do any better than Fran in today’s recruiting environment where you can’t just stock up on players from your back yard.
There’s a lot of shit I don’t care for and can handle. No need to check out. I like the Hawks and Fran as well. I just don’t like his antics. Put it this way….Fran would probably be in a tough situation if he had the best player in the league but couldn’t keep him on the floor because the player lost his mind and received technical after technical and hurt the team. Be a tough sell for Fran to try to convince him he has to maintain control.

I'm fairly certain Mr. Davis would do a bit better given the same exact players. Always saw the hands up on D more the press was better they were crisper passing teams and you could see better fundamentals. And heck they would win every first round tournament game. Guarantee that NCAA record would be better with all the exact same teams. Probably would have one sweet 16 with Mr. Davis at the helm.
Disagree. You’re a member of the Mr Tom cult of personality.

That is an interesting quote because I can count on my hands the amount of times it has done any good for the team (where we actually win the game) when he blows up.....usually when he gets a T it seems we are down double digits....the game is not going our way....and it makes are situation that much worse.

I think KM is just sticking up for his coach, what else is he going to say?

What they did was incredible....but Fran put his team in jeopardy pulling that crap....ref letting it go saved us.

I hope the Big Ten increases fines, suspensions, and re-defines what is appropriate and what is not......from Howard to Fran (going back to Knight, etc) this crap has no place. We are suppose to be a sport of sportsmanship and stare downs, chasing after refs, getting physical....whatever some of these coaches are pulling.....just does not belong.

I love my team, love the Hawks, and I want Fran to do well, but if I was the official I would have tossed him.

I think the Big Ten should suspend Fran over that to make a point. He knew what he was doing I think to some extent....if they let it go it just moves the goal posts that much further in what coaches will try to pull.

Just like in a court room....need to ask permission to approach the witness...there should be a formal process for approaching officials and interacting with them. What Fran did to that official served no purpose but to intimidate him.

We are having enough trouble as it is to get officials to do games universally at all levels.

As shitty as officials can sometimes be, there is a time and place to deal with that. Not saying Fran or any other coach can't plead their case, but how you conduct yourself makes a world of difference.

Just my opinion.

Fran's behavior has been terrible this year.
I still trust it coming from a player in the program way more than someone on a message board.

I still trust it coming from a player in the program way more than someone on a message board.

We all have our opinions. But I'm quite sure if it was an opposing coach doing it....there would be more of an outcry....or if the outcome did not happen like it did...it would be more of the storyline than it already partially is along with Iowa skidding down the stretch. Fran get bailed out by the ref and his locked in players.

Last edited:
The Hawkeyes have had a few top coaches

Really difficult to choose the best one:

Buckey O'Connor took the Hawks to 2 Final Fours in a row
The second one led to a Championship game with Bill Russell and the San Francisco Dons

Ralph Miller took us to the Sweet Sixteen with John Johnson and Downtown Freddy Brown,
who both played for the Seattle Seahawks and took them to the NBA finals in 1977/78 and
won the championship the next year. Millers' teams were really fun to watch. Full Speed Ahead

Lute Olsen who took us to the Final Four in 1980, and Magic Johnson playing for the Spartans said
They didn't want to play the Hawks again ever

Tom Davis inherited a championship-level team from Geoge Raveling and took them to the Elite Eight his first year, and 9 NCAA tournaments with 2 Sweet Sixteens

Fran McCaffrey who took the reins from Lickliter, and built the team to respectability and the NCAA
tournament a few times, with a few questionable failures especially to Oregon who had a draw the first
round and them inexplicably losing to the Richmond Spiders last season

Fran puts an exciting team on the floor and manages to somehow get talent on the team, next season
he has perhaps his best recruiting class coming onboard

It's All Good, Lads

:cool:

Last edited:
Greatest comeback for sure. Greatest game I would have to disagree. I think Iowa’s win that sent them to their last final four owns that recognition.

I am going to poke my thoughts in here after a long snooze because I think the OP missed the boat and you are correct about greatest comeback but not greatest game by Iowa men's bball. MSU is not great, maybe not even above avg. Iowa's defense sure left a lot to be desired.

My votes for best games that I listened to or saw our 1) Jan. 1965 Iowa upsets #1 UCLA the reigning NCAA champ. UCLA had won 43 of their last 44 games when Iowa dumped them yet UCLA would go undefeated the rest of the year iirc and win Wooden's 2nd NCAA title. I stayed up late to listen to this game and it was a nail biter back.

#2) Late Feb 1970, Iowa at Purdue with a perfect record and the Big 10 Title on the line back when you had to be champ to make the NCAA tourney. Final score 108-107 Hawks with a big late come back on the road. Hell guys Rick Mount scored 61 points but the hawks had 4 players with 20+ points in Miller's great offense.

BigD, I agree that those two wins by Olsons team to get in the Final 4 are also right up there. I think the OP is really reaching here, as usual, haha.

Yea but Fry is talking about a team comeback, not great individual plays or game that had consequence. I for the life of me can't understand how some people don't understand the points of a thread or post.

Melrose, look at the title of the thread as it says "greatest individual game" not comeback. Not close.

Melrose, look at the title of the thread as it says "greatest individual game" not comeback. Not close.

Correct,

I have to deal with legal documents in my profession so words do matter.

It was one hell of a come back to be sure. Even the announcers said that when there was less than a minute left in the game and MSU had an eleven point lead at that point, the odds must have been a 99% chance of victory for MSU.

I do get the announcers point but I think they exaggerate a bit. Having taken statistics in college I would think it would be more like 85% to 90% chance of victory for MSU. It was a highly unlikely scenario win for Iowa to say the least especially given the fact that Izzo is one of the best coaches in college basketball.

Some how I enjoyed his crying after the game.

After that game the post was made. I believe anyone that is sensible can infer that he was referring to a team comeback of that magnitude. I guess only he can confirm this or not, but how does one not presume that????

1677506840289.png

Correct,

I have to deal with legal documents in my profession so words do matter.

It was one hell of a come back to be sure. Even the announcers said that when there was less than a minute left in the game and MSU had an eleven point lead at that point, the odds must have been a 99% chance of victory for MSU.

I do get the announcers point but I think they exaggerate a bit. Having taken statistics in college I would think it would be more like 85% to 90% chance of victory for MSU. It was a highly unlikely scenario win for Iowa to say the least especially given the fact that Izzo is one of the best coaches in college basketball.

Some how I enjoyed his crying after the game.
Well if the statement is true that this was only the 4th NCAA Div 1 game ever where a team came back to win when down 11 or more points with 1 minute or less to play then I would say the ESPN win probability of MSU at 99.6 chance of winning would be more correct.

Four comebacks like this in 100 games is 4%, in 400 games is 1%, etc etc and there have been tens of thousands of Div 1 games. Even Tony Perkins is quoted as saying he and perhaps other teammates thought it was pretty much over. But glad he and the others kept playing hard.

It was real hard to overcome a deficit situation like this before the 3 pt shot, the time clock, and the 2 shot free throw bonus. Plus back not that long ago the clock would also keep running after a made basket in the last minute while a team needed to inbounds the ball.

Happy to say I watched every second of both mens and womens games this weekend. With like 3 mins to go I about took my dog out for a walk of the mens game but I'm glad I didn't. I mean what a weekend of hoops folks holy shit. The Big 10 network got some new material for their BIG classics.

Happy to say I watched every second of both mens and womens games this weekend. With like 3 mins to go I about took my dog out for a walk of the mens game but I'm glad I didn't. I mean what a weekend of hoops folks holy shit. The Big 10 network got some new material for their BIG classics.
Yea, I don't think there has ever been a weekend like that with back-to-back games in Carver Hawkeye Arena. I never would have thought Saturday's game would have been topped.

Add into that, The Iowa Hawkeye baseball team took down #1 LSU, with Brecht on the mound.

Yea, I don't think there has ever been a weekend like that with back-to-back games in Carver Hawkeye Arena. I never would have thought Saturday's game would have been topped.

Add into that, The Iowa Hawkeye baseball team took down #1 LSU, with Brecht on the mound.
Saw that too. Heller knows what the heck he's doing. Great time to be a Hawk that's for sure.

We must live on a different planet here.....rarely does it do any good for the team.
We've always lived on a different planets, a lot of Iowa's runs have come directly after a Fran T - I recall his antics in 2 of their biggest games of the year leading to good results for the team. His teams seem to react positively to his fire. That's not a stretch to say. It has of course hurt us before as well, but I think almost all of his T's are calculated. He knows how to push buttons and playing the refs is a game - I love it personally and I think it rarely hurts Iowa.