Greatest Individual Game In Iowa History

This comeback along with the staredown incident made for a very memorable game on Saturday. Then throw in yesterday's women's game and finish, wow. Berry berry good to be a Hawkeye right now!

That is an interesting quote because I can count on my hands the amount of times it has done any good for the team (where we actually win the game) when he blows up.....usually when he gets a T it seems we are down double digits....the game is not going our way....and it makes are situation that much worse.

I think KM is just sticking up for his coach, what else is he going to say?

What they did was incredible....but Fran put his team in jeopardy pulling that crap....ref letting it go saved us.

I hope the Big Ten increases fines, suspensions, and re-defines what is appropriate and what is not......from Howard to Fran (going back to Knight, etc) this crap has no place. We are suppose to be a sport of sportsmanship and stare downs, chasing after refs, getting physical....whatever some of these coaches are pulling.....just does not belong.

I love my team, love the Hawks, and I want Fran to do well, but if I was the official I would have tossed him.

I think the Big Ten should suspend Fran over that to make a point. He knew what he was doing I think to some extent....if they let it go it just moves the goal posts that much further in what coaches will try to pull.

Just like in a court room....need to ask permission to approach the witness...there should be a formal process for approaching officials and interacting with them. What Fran did to that official served no purpose but to intimidate him.

We are having enough trouble as it is to get officials to do games universally at all levels.

As shitty as officials can sometimes be, there is a time and place to deal with that. Not saying Fran or any other coach can't plead their case, but how you conduct yourself makes a world of difference.

Just my opinion.

Fran's behavior has been terrible this year.
Holy shit are you Charmin soft.

Fp76h33WYAYij_c

Sorry, but it was. There have been games with more consequence, but there’s never been a greater individual game in Iowa history.

This, folks, is why I’ve never left an athletic contest before it’s over. Never done it. Those schleps driving home deserve to have missed the greatest comeback and game in general in Iowa Hawkeye history. Better think twice next time.
Sorry, not even close. Absolutely absurd comeback, but this was a February game with middle of the pack Big Ten teams. And it wasn't even an all that well-played of a game for most of it.

The football equivalent would be Iowa at Pitt in 2011. Absurd comeback, but pales in comparison with many games in program history.

Iowa basketball is a rich tradition, and for a few decades it had legendary coaches with several monumental games involving Big Ten titles or deep tournament runs. Those wins were not only consequential, they were great games.

1677532258217.png
What a Karen! Looks like he's about to say "let me see your manager"! :)

First time I saw it from that angle. Not intimidating as much as he looks like he has a stick up his ass.

And thinking like this is what continues to decline respect for authority and civil discourse within our society.
lol Hyperbole much? Saying he deserves suspended for literally doing nothing (he literally did nothing) is by far a worse indictment on our society champ.

Soft.

Let's pretend for a second that a ref is an authority figure (they're not FWIW, they aren't to the players and they sure as hell aren't to the coaches. If you make a totem pole of where they rank in infrastructure of college basketball, they'd be just above team manager) but to act like they're beyond reproach and challenging them is the cause of some larger social problem is laughable.

Basketball coaches arguing with the refs started a while ago and literally bares no resemblance of current society, take that shit to a different board.

lol Hyperbole much? Saying he deserves suspended for literally doing nothing (he literally did nothing) is by far a worse indictment on our society champ.

Soft.

Let's pretend for a second that a ref is an authority figure (they're not FWIW, they aren't to the players and they sure as hell aren't to the coaches. If you make a totem pole of where they rank in infrastructure of college basketball, they'd be just above team manager) but to act like they're beyond reproach and challenging them is the cause of some larger social problem is laughable.

Basketball coaches arguing with the refs started a while ago and literally bares no resemblance of current society, take that shit to a different board.
No shit Sherlock that it has been going on through the decades. And, it is not getting any better.

We have a ref shortage if you did not know......like or not.....people will look up to how Fran/xyz coach acts in games. Moving up to intimidate that official....there was nothing professional about that.....and it is this type of behavior....lack of a respect for authority and civil discourse which is draining our school systems from student behavior to how we treat one and other in games (coaches and players alike).

One of the reasons why we have a shortage is how officials get treated. Even if they suck at their job, physical intimidation tactics and verbal berating by coaches has no place in competition and there should be consequences for those actions (as well as appropriate consequences for Ref calls/behavior at the proper time).

It is sad, but that is where we are....where you are here. I think it is sad that you think that is acceptable behavior.......again I'm sure it was part an act by Fran in why he said absolutely nothing.....but we know what he was trying to do. I applaud the ref for showing restraint and I'm happy for our players it did not cost them the game.

You would not like it one bit if someone did the same thing to you and you were trying to officiate a game or maintain order in an authority role......if it all came down to it.

Yes, sadly how authority figures have acted in our society has also helped lead to the decline of civility......but look at this way......why even have officials if you going to treat them like shit and throw a tantrum when things don't go your way? Do we just want the players to call their own fouls? See how well that goes over.

Officials deserve a certain degree of respect by virtue of their job. It is their job to enforce rules and make calls without fear of being verbally and physically assaulted...especially by players and coaching staffs. With fans, it is harder (especially major D1 environments) to do a lot about the verbal stuff....but you can bet your ass security will on the floor the minute a spectator goes after an official. Why should Fran/Howard/Knight/Izzo/xyz coach be treated any differently pulling the same type of crap?

Other coaches have done much worse than Fran in this spot if we are comparing apples to apples, but it does not make it anymore right. He should be suspended at least 1 game.

Last edited:
No shit Sherlock that it has been going on through the decades. And, it is not getting any better.

We have a ref shortage if you did not know......like or not.....people will look up to how Fran/xyz coach acts in games. Moving up to intimidate that official....there was nothing professional about that.....and it is this type of behavior....lack of a respect for authority and civil discourse which is draining our school systems from student behavior to how we treat one and other in games (coaches and players alike).

One of the reasons why we have a shortage is how officials get treated. Even if they suck at their job, physical intimidation tactics and verbal berating by coaches has no place in competition and there should be consequences for those actions (as well as appropriate consequences for Ref calls/behavior at the proper time).

It is sad, but that is where we are....where you are here. I think it is sad that you think that is acceptable behavior.......again I'm sure it was part an act by Fran in why he said absolutely nothing.....but we know what he was trying to do. I applaud the ref for showing restraint and I'm happy for our players it did not cost them the game.

You would not like it one bit if someone did the same thing to you and you were trying to officiate a game or maintain order in an authority role......if it all came down to it.

Yes, sadly how authority figures have acted in our society has also helped lead to the decline of civility......but look at this way......why even have officials if you going to treat them like shit and throw a tantrum when things don't go your way? Do we just want the players to call their own fouls? See how well that goes over.

Officials deserve a certain degree of respect by virtue of their job. It is their job to enforce rules and make calls without fear of being verbally and physically assaulted...especially by players and coaching staffs.
Perhaps it's time for four man officiating crews. But it could be problematic because of the shortage you mentioned rather already exists.

I've loosely pitched the idea of a fourth official who stands on a platform at center Court, as in volleyball. You can see things from eight feet off the ground that can't be seen through mazes of arms and legs at ground level.

This official could focus on officials' two toughest calls- the block/charge and ball out of bounds. And don't worry about this official impeding rhe view of spectators. It doesn't affect volleyball very much.

Perhaps it's time for four man officiating crews. But it could be problematic because of the shortage you mentioned rather already exists.

I've loosely pitched the idea of a fourth official who stands on a platform at center Court, as in volleyball. You can see things from eight feet off the ground that can't be seen through mazes of arms and legs at ground level.

This official could focus on officials' two toughest calls- the block/charge and ball out of bounds. And don't worry about this official impeding rhe view of spectators. It doesn't affect volleyball very much.
I wish they used more instant replay like in football....even if it added more time to the game...just make sure they get things right.

Also sucks that some calls are not reviewable....case in point when the Indiana player traveled before the foul occurred at the very end of the women's game.

Soft.

• To no one’s surprise, Iowa coach Fran McCaffery went viral again over the weekend for his behavior toward a referee. In this case, it wasn’t the way McCaffery argued a call, it was the menacing staredown he deployed towards Kelly Pfeifer, a Big Ten official. Pfeifer had just whistled McCaffery for a technical towards the end of a very tense home game against Michigan State. I’m not sure why Pfeifer didn’t give McCaffrey a second T, which would have warranted an automatic ejection, but he should have. As such, I hope the Big Ten office fines or reprimands McCaffery for what he did. This wasn’t just arguing a call, this was an act of intimidation, and it clearly crossed the line of acceptability.

Look, I like McCaffery. He’s a heck of a basketball coach, as evidenced by the Hawkeyes’ incredible comeback win. And as Iowa fans love to point out, McCaffery is far from the only coach who engages in egregious behavior towards referees. Which is exactly the problem. The behavior from college basketball coaches towards referees has been too awful for too long. NBA coaches don’t act this way. A huge part of the problem is that coaches have a lot of sway with league supervisors as to who gets assigned games, so refs understandably feel that their ability to garner plum assigments is dependent on currying favor the coaches. So all but a few are reluctant to take appropriate action when the coaches get out of hand.

My hope, then, is that when the NCAA men’s basketball rules committee gathers for its annual summer meeting, it issues a very clear point of emphasis that instructs referees to be a lot quicker when it comes to calling technical fouls on coaches. When coaches wanted the hook-and-hold move taken out of the game, the committee made it a flagrant foul, and now we hardly ever see it anymore. There’s a place for a dialogue between coaches and officials, and I understand that things can get a little heated. But this has gone on for too long, and it needs to stop.

Amen Seth Davis.....says basically the same type of things I have been saying.

This is what Sam Decker had to say:

Sam Dekker

@dekker

When a coach becomes “the show” it’s a problem. This also (by rule) should be a tech/ejection. Falls in the “Intimidation behavior” towards officials or players.

Last edited:
Just reading a lot of takes on this issue.......what I'm seeing lost from various takes on this....some people say "Why are you scolding Fran for staring" or something like that.

The issue was not just staring. He actively left his team, left his huddle, his coaching box, and approached an official on the game floor with the intent on putting on the act of intimidation....or making that official feel uncomfortable for his actions in a non-professional manner. I think the proximity of being out on the playing court and going after this official instead of coaching up his team is also being lost in this mess.

Moving towards the official, completely away from the Iowa bench, to put on this act, I think is the real issue here. A stare from the bench in disgust....I wouldn't argue that....but by moving towards the guy on the playing floor crossed the line. That behavior is unacceptable....if he asked for clarification or something...tried to have some meaningful dialogue...I don't think people in my camp would blink twice. Not stand there like a prick trying to act all tough because he did not like how things are going....or some phony tough guy act to "allegedly motivate the troops." Beating those fuckhead Spartans and that whiny bitch Izzo should be motivation enough.

Last edited:

Latest posts